Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Caps Blog-Off (Round 2)

• Locked Goal This goal is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Caps Blog-Off (Round 2) (57 fans have cast votes)

Choose your 4 favorite Caps blogs

1. Japers Rink (35 votes [22.01%])

Percentage of vote: 22.01%

2. The Peerless Prognosticator (31 votes [19.50%])

Percentage of vote: 19.50%

3. On Frozen Blog (28 votes [17.61%])

Percentage of vote: 17.61%

4. Alexander Ovetjkin (18 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

5. Capitals Outsider (22 votes [13.84%])

Percentage of vote: 13.84%

6. Caps In Pictures (19 votes [11.95%])

Percentage of vote: 11.95%

7. Puckhead's Thoughts (6 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

Vote

#1 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Please select 4 of the remaining blogs that you would like to see make the next round in our Blog-Off Tournament...

Japers Rink
The Peerless Prognasticator
On Frozen Blog
Alexander Ovetjkin
Capitals Outsider
Caps In Pictures
Puckhead's Thoughts

In this round, we ask our voters to avoid choosing their selections based on such things such as blog graphics, blog tools, amount of updates, etc. Let's make this round specifically about writing ability.

For every member that takes the time to click these links, check these blogs out, vote in the poll and impress me with a critique on any one blog mentioned, I will be giving out Jersey Awards throughout the contest.

So let's hear what you have to say... and let's please try our best to be constructive with our words.

(This tourney encourages fans of all teams to participate and not just fans of the team in question.)

#2 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:53
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

My top choice of the four is currently Japer's Rink followed closely by Peerless. For pure connectivity to finding loads of information about the team, it's players, and even opposing opinions from rival teams, Japer's is the place to go. However, if you want a seriously good (and funny) read, Peerless is a great choice.

#3 Guest_Whiter Mage_*

Guest_Whiter Mage_*

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

I'll still speak up for Japers', followed by Peerless. Caps in Pictures is money too.

Japers' just is the Powerhouse of the Caps Blog-o-sphere. There's too many good writers there, and the discussion level there is increasing daily and is always intelligent, which is great. The posters are almost like writers themselves, and fanshotting, they are. It's more of a community at this point lead by JP and DMG that discusses whatever the mood strikes.

#4 Guest_Capital2890_*

Guest_Capital2890_*

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

Of course we know that Japers is like God for the Caps blog but here I will post about Caps In Pictures. I really like the pictures they post and it really gives the fans a behind the scenes look in what is happening with the team. They may not post recaps or anything fancy but I tell you, their pictures are absolutely amazing. These guys are awesome.

KEEP IT UP!

#5 Guest_Mike Ellis_*

Guest_Mike Ellis_*

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

Of the remaining six blogs for voting on, I would have to say that my favorite of them all is On Frozen Blog. The crew there has a great writing style, and they take pride in their work. However, I also thoroughly enjoy Japers and Peerless for their information as well.

#6 Guest_Thag_*

Guest_Thag_*

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

I like them all except for OFB. Too smug and self-serving for my taste.

#7 Guest_mooky_*

Guest_mooky_*

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

Japers Rink has the best writers, particularly Stephen Pepper and Becca, both of whom have a sense of humor in addition to writing skills. I wish they would write more, but they probably have real jobs in real life. David Getz is very good on analysis. JP is also good on analytics, but IMHO he gets carried away sometimes, e.g., last years fixation on Corsi ratings. He also patrols the blog like a school marm fussing at people on things related to format and there are a couple of regular posters who hector people about having avatars. What is creepy about SB Nation in general is that once you register, the site logs your comments on all of its blogs for anyone to review, which I find offensive (hey, Im a privacy nerd.)

The Peerless is always a good (and well-written) read the right mix of analysis and humor. I dont know how he does it on a daily basis. Of note, Peerless is a sole proprietor, unlike Japers and OFB.

OFB is also a daily read. Sometimes the prose is over-wrought, and sometimes veering in the wrong direction, but sometimes there is a piece that is an absolute, perfect gem.

I also enjoy Alex Ovetjkins blog, although the main criterion cited for this round was writing, so I guess Ill include AO for excellence in translation!

#8 Guest_Ovechwin_*

Guest_Ovechwin_*

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

We're kinda joking about the avatars! It's kinda become an inside joke.

I voted for Japers' because it has really helped me become a better hockey fan. The very setup of SB nation is awesome, with the reader generated content.

I also voted for caps in pictures and peerless.

#9 Guest_Stein_*

Guest_Stein_*

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

In this round, we ask our voters to avoid choosing their selections based on such things such as blog graphics, blog tools, amount of updates, etc. Let's make this round specifically about writing ability.

Oops... I voted on which ones I thought were prettiest.

#10 OFFLINE   capscrazy

capscrazy

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

Oops... I voted on which ones I thought were prettiest.

It's all about the pictures for you isn't it?? LOL

#11 Guest_Stein_*

Guest_Stein_*

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

It's all about the pictures for you isn't it?? LOL

Well, The Peerless is pretty studly. :lol2:

This point has been edited by Stein: 08 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

#12 Guest_zms30_*

Guest_zms30_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I like On Frozen Blog the best. They go in detail about everything from a game, saying all the positives and negatives about nearly every player. It gives me good insight as to who in Washington is doing well.

#13 Guest_drscruf_*

Guest_drscruf_*

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Not much to add about Japer's that hasn't been posted already. Hands down excellent blog.

I really liked Prognisticator. Lots of opinion and analysis in bite size chunks. Me likey.

I liked Puckhead's thoughts for similar reasons. Would like to see more updates, but again, not criteria this time around.

Finally, I went with OFB, although I liked Ovetjkin too. Very, very informative and I like the tone of the writing. Strong stuff. Lots of good choices for the Caps fans.

This point has been edited by drscruf: 13 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

#14 Guest_Sabresfan2630_*

Guest_Sabresfan2630_*

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

I picked these four Alexander Ovetjkin, Capitals Outsider, Caps In Pictures, Puckhead's Thoughts. I like they graphics on all of them and good infomation. Capitals Outsider stands out to be the best of all with updates on there AHL team and good infomation.