Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

James Wisniewski's lewd gesture toward Sean Avery

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: James Wisniewski's lewd gesture toward Sean Avery (21 fans have cast votes)

Should James Wisniewski be suspended for his lewd gesture toward Sean Avery?

1. Voted Yes (11 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

2. Voted No (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_cityhockeyfever_*

Guest_cityhockeyfever_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

As many hockey fans know by now, Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski made a lewd "blow job" gesture toward Rangers forward Sean Avery during the first period of yesterday's game at the Nassau Coliseum.

I personally couldn't see it happen myself given their backs were facing my direction at the time it took place. I didn't know until I saw Twitter updates.

This was already a thread posted on the Islanders message board about this incident, so I'll have you answer a poll.

Should Wisniewski get suspended for making the gesture? Should the NHL enforce a no-tolerance policy for such behavior on the ice? Let's hear what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYeKEA5AoY

This point has been edited by cityhockeyfever: 12 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

#2 Guest_cityhockeyfever_*

Guest_cityhockeyfever_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

From Ranger Rants:

Remarkable for a play that's already all over YouTube, nobody seems to have seen it. Commissioner Gary Bettman, as reported in the Live Blog, did not see it though he was in the building. Rangers coach John Tortorella said he didn't see the play and Islanders coach Scott Gordon stormed out of his press conference when he was questioned about James Wisniewski's hand-to-mouth gesture made to Sean Avery after they jawed at each other at the Islanders' net in the first period.

Wisniewski actually told a Newsday reporter he didn't remember what he had did and when pressed on the subject, said what happens on the ice stays on the ice.

Avery, however, remembered exactly what happened.

"It's pretty obvious what the guy was doing," Avery said. "But I'm sure nothing will happen to him. Because nothing ever happens. It's interesting he'd get a warning for something like that. Imagine what would happen if I did it. (Heck), they sent me to rehab."

Bettman said any fine or suspension, or both, would be handled by the NHL's hockey operations department, which is standard procedure.

LINK

This point has been edited by cityhockeyfever: 12 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

#3 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,763 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

And it has now been reported that Wisniewski got a 2-game sit-down for this.

#4 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

The NHL suspended the Islanders’ James Wisniewski two games for his lewd gesture toward Sean Avery Monday. Surprisingly, the NHL did not find reason to suspend Avery.

Remember, this Wisniewski is a guy who was suspended eight games for a vicious hit last March.

Here’s the AP story on the suspension:

NEW YORK (AP)  — The NHL has suspended Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski two games for an obscene gesture he made toward Sean Avery.

The NHL says Wisniewski will sit out games at Washington on Wednesday and at Pittsburgh on Friday for his actions during Monday’s 6-4 victory over the Rangers.

The league announced the penalty on Tuesday.

During a stoppage of play in the first period, Wisniewski and Avery chirped at each other. Wisniewski then made a gesture with his hand, directed at Avery. Wisniewski said he didn’t remember making a gesture, but video of the incident was on the YouTube website before the game was over.

View the full article

#5 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,695 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

There isn't a pro sports league out there that would tolerate this. The NHL is no different.

#6 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

From Ranger Rants:

So James Wisniewski's obscene, hand-to-mouth gesture toward Sean Avery has earned the Islanders' defenseman a two-game suspension and the resulting loss of salary for those two games.

The blatant gesture had to earn Wisniewski some form of punishment, the question was how hard was the NHL going to come down on him. And, since the incident involved Avery, how would it compare to the at-first indefinite and then six-game suspension that led to Avery's return from Dallas to the Rangers for his vulgar comments regarding Dion Phaneuf and ex-girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert. Two games seems a tad short on punishment when compared to what Avery received - as he said in exasperation after the Rangers' 6-4 loss, he could only imagine what the NHL would have done to him had he made the gesture and that the league had sent him to rehab for the comments. And it's not like Wisniewski, who, like Avery, plays with an edge to his game, doesn't have a history. Witness the eight-game suspension he received in March when, with the Ducks, he hit the knocked the Blackhawks' Brent Seabrook's head into the glass.

And, as a repeat offender, Wisniewski's fine was calculated based on the number of games in the season (82), not the number of days (186). As a result, Wisniewski forfeits $79,268.30.

Surely, Avery, as is the nature of his game, said something to Wisniewski to set him off. Wisniewski took the bait. Now he'll sit two games.

LINK

This point has been edited by cityhockeyfever: 13 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

#7 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

From SNY Rangers Blog:

Posted Image

Update: 5:32 PM:

Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie both say two games for Wisniewski.

It's probably a little excessive but the league has spoken.

Update: 5:14 PM:

Botta, citing reports out of Chicago, is saying that its two games for Wisniewski.

That is also what certain internet rumors are saying.

Original Post:

Posted Image
ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta

@ChrisBottaNHL: I'm told a James Wisniewski decision by the NHL will be announced in the next few hours. Fine or suspension expected.

Oct 12, 2010 @ 09:04:52 PM, UTC from web

LINK

This point has been edited by cityhockeyfever: 13 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

#8 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

From Jim Cerny's Rink Rap blog:

Posted Image

Listen, probably too much breath and too many words have been wasted already on the incident yesterday involving Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski and Rangers forward Sean Avery.

Bottom line is two guys, playing hard in an intense game, jawed at each other - with much smack, I'm sure, spewed back and forth - and then Wisniewski unfortunately decided to make an obscene gesture/act, repeatedly I might add.

If the referees had done the right thing - the officials clearly had to see what Wisniewski was doing, as you can tell from the video clip I posted - and penalized the Isles d-man for unsportsmanlike conduct then this would be a minor story - vulgar, but minor.

(continued...)

This point has been edited by cityhockeyfever: 13 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

#9 Guest_Cujorulesdtown90_*

Guest_Cujorulesdtown90_*

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

2 game suspension is a joke on this one. Should be a fine one game MAX. But the big bad NHL can't fine him, that would be too weak thanks to their own CBA (only $2500 fine.), so they "had to" suspend him (so he forfeits $79,268.30).

If this is the one thing going to hurt the NHL's image to the point where guys need to be suspended, then they have their priorities all kinds of f*cked up. How about guys who put other guys on stretchers? End other guys careers? No, it's gestures hurting the NHL's image.

And the other leagues would just fine players for that. It's a complete joke to suspend players for this. If Avery had a problem, he should have fought him, oh wait, can't do that, he might break a nail.

This point has been edited by Cujorulesdtown90: 13 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

#10 Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

There isn't a pro sports league out there that would tolerate this. The NHL is no different.

You're wrong. The max handed down in other leagues are fines (like, oh, say Michael Vick got). However, Raiola flipped off fans in Detroit and got nothing. The Titans coach got a fine for flipping off the refs, not even another player. Hell, the NFL fines players for spitting on others. That is way worse than a lewd gesture. In MMA, guys like Brock Lesnar flip off the crowd and rip on sponsors, while Thiago Silva does a throat slash after every victory and neither one of them are punished. You are COMPLETELY wrong on this issue.

This point has been edited by BurnTHalO: 14 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

#11 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,763 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

You're wrong. The max handed down in other leagues are fines (like, oh, say Michael Vick got). However, Raiola flipped off fans in Detroit and got nothing. The Titans coach got a fine for flipping off the refs, not even another player. Hell, the NFL fines players for spitting on others. That is way worse than a lewd gesture. In MMA, guys like Brock Lesnar flip off the crowd and rip on sponsors, while Thiago Silva does a throat slash after every victory and neither one of them are punished. You are COMPLETELY wrong on this issue.

I don't think its fair to compare MMA to this. MMA is not a team sport, and just like pro wrestling needs its "bad guys".

I've wondered quite a bit this week how many people saying the suspension is too much are saying so because the "victim" was Sean Avery. I've seen numerous comments about how hockey "would be better off" if Avery didn't play, and he should be driven out of the game. So, if Wisniewski made this gesture to someone generally considered to be a "nice guy" - say 4-time Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk - if the opinion would be the same.

#12 Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

I don't think its fair to compare MMA to this. MMA is not a team sport, and just like pro wrestling needs its "bad guys".

MMA doesn't need it's bad guys at all. In fact, of the best sells in the sport, I would say that 3 are great guys and only one is a bad guy who FYI is trying to completely change his image around. Silva (who does the throat slash) is not a bad guy at all in the sport. And it's ridiculous to compare it to pro wrestling. One is staged, the other people watch for legit sport competition. And what does being a team sport have to do with anything? So if Wiz was a figure skater these gestures would be alright, but in hockey it is not?

But, all that aside, Leafer made a statement that no other sports league would tolerate this and I have shown he is 100% wrong with examples from one sport which is much bigger than hockey is right now and a second which is on the same level.

I've wondered quite a bit this week how many people saying the suspension is too much are saying so because the "victim" was Sean Avery. I've seen numerous comments about how hockey "would be better off" if Avery didn't play, and he should be driven out of the game. So, if Wisniewski made this gesture to someone generally considered to be a "nice guy" - say 4-time Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk - if the opinion would be the same.

It's funny you say that, because I have purposly been pointing out the throat slash because of the ridiculous suspension to Boynton. But have you not noticed the same people upset with this one are the same ones that got upset at the Boynton suspension? Now, people are more upset here, but it is twice as long of a suspension.

#13 OFFLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

MMA references are disqualified based soley on the fact that hockey attempts to keep its players classy and respectable. MMA does not, as evidenced by the style and designs of the t-shirts worn by its athletes and designed by the sponsors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The NHL may have its faults, but none are as bad as the above examples.

#14 Guest_FinnLightning_*

Guest_FinnLightning_*

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

Two games is a bit too much from this. I could see a fine or one game suspension but two?

Yes, I know I'm immature and my sense of humor is that of an 10 year old kid but I found that funny. Very funny. :shiny:

#15 Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Guest_BurnTHalO_*

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

MMA references are disqualified based soley on the fact that hockey attempts to keep its players classy and respectable. MMA does not, as evidenced by the style and designs of the t-shirts worn by its athletes and designed by the sponsors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The NHL may have its faults, but none are as bad as the above examples.

Yet the T-Shirts I still have that say "Give Blood, Play Hockey" and then features whatever team's logo; or the Hanson Brothers Night at NHL games is the king of class. Actually most MMA fighters are some of the classiest, most down to earth guys you can meet. They truly respect their sport and everyone else in it. If you really want to argue MMA, that's fine. But please don't sit here and try to cry that one of the fastest growing sports in the world is disqualified because you don't like it. It's a sport, a legit sport, with what many consider the best athletes in the world. Now by virtue of what that sport is, it allows a lot more in way of gestures and talking. But, like I said before, the arguement was that no sport lets this stuff go, and IT IS NOT THE CASE!!!!

#16 OFFLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Yet the T-Shirts I still have that say "Give Blood, Play Hockey" and then features whatever team's logo; or the Hanson Brothers Night at NHL games is the king of class. Actually most MMA fighters are some of the classiest, most down to earth guys you can meet. They truly respect their sport and everyone else in it. If you really want to argue MMA, that's fine. But please don't sit here and try to cry that one of the fastest growing sports in the world is disqualified because you don't like it. It's a sport, a legit sport, with what many consider the best athletes in the world. Now by virtue of what that sport is, it allows a lot more in way of gestures and talking. But, like I said before, the arguement was that no sport lets this stuff go, and IT IS NOT THE CASE!!!!

Hahahahahaha. Dude, it was a joke. I'm not a fan of professional MMA fighting, but it has nothing to do with the athletes or their wardrobe. My biggest problem is that submission fighting is, in my opinion, incredibly boring to watch. Give me UFC 1 through 3 or 5, before the Gracie way of fighting took over everything, and I'm fine. But if I wanted to watch buff dudes roll around with each other I'd just get a male-on-male adult film or something...which I don't so I won't. Our upstairs neighbor is an amateur MMA fighter and is a very polite guy (though his loud annoying truck is another story). But seriously, the clothes do suck.

We now return to your regularly scheduled bickering.

#17 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

From Ranger Rants:

LINK

It won't bother Avery.

#18 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,763 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

MMA doesn't need it's bad guys at all. In fact, of the best sells in the sport, I would say that 3 are great guys and only one is a bad guy who FYI is trying to completely change his image around. Silva (who does the throat slash) is not a bad guy at all in the sport. And it's ridiculous to compare it to pro wrestling. One is staged, the other people watch for legit sport competition. And what does being a team sport have to do with anything? So if Wiz was a figure skater these gestures would be alright, but in hockey it is not?

But, all that aside, Leafer made a statement that no other sports league would tolerate this and I have shown he is 100% wrong with examples from one sport which is much bigger than hockey is right now and a second which is on the same level.

My comment about it not being a team sport is that you can't really "suspend" smoeone for X number of games/fights when it is an individual thing. You can suspend them for an amount of time, true, but assuming MMA is like boxing, to be suspended for 2 months or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to miss any actual fights - especially the higher up the rankings you get.