Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The San Jose Sharks: What Now?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,431 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:17
  • Position:Center

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:39 AM

It’s like the nightmare you keep having —maybe once a week, maybe once month— but without a doubt at least once a year, every San Jose Sharks fan will relive their worst nightmare: watching the Sharks succumb to their fate.

Every season ends the same; a brilliant regular season turned into a lackluster post season. The locker room gets packed up early and fans put away their jerseys 'til next year, in hopes that the Sharks figure out what the heck is wrong.

A curse? Bad players? Bad coaching? Bad management?

Or does the problem stem even higher than that?

The Sharks are owned by the San Jose Sports and Entertainment Enterprise— a group of 13 people including CEOs, a venture capitalist, a former mayor and a former NFL tight end.

The SJSEE bought the team from Gordon Gund, who brought the expansion team to San Jose in 2002.

So it may be just that, a lack of direct leadership and passion trickling down to the team, who can’t find that little extra desire and hunger to fight harder at the times they need it most and get the win.

Neon Tommy

#2 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,431 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:14 AM

It's an iteresting perspective that never occurred to me. But how could it be fixed? I don't think many individuals are clamouring to buy sports franchises right now.

#3 OFFLINE   sharkiesgirl

sharkiesgirl

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

I don't know, it sounds like crap to me. What does ownership have to do with our lack of success in the postseason? It's in their best interests monetarily that the franchise is successful, so saying that it's because none of the them are former players that may be the problem seems ridiculous to me.

#4 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,431 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

I don't think it's the sole reason, but it could be a contributing factor, who knows. Did the ever replace Jameson?

#5 OFFLINE   sharkiesgirl

sharkiesgirl

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

I don't think it's the sole reason, but it could be a contributing factor, who knows. Did the ever replace Jameson?

I believe Malcolm Bordelon took over his duties, but I don't think he's new to the franchise. Not sure about that though...

#6 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,679 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

The Sharks have recorded five straight 100-point seasons, requiring a strong finish to the 2010-2011 campaign to get there, but have not been able to emerge out of the Western Conference at playoff time.

That's not an easy task, to be sure, as the quality of competition makes it a daunting task for any contender, but the Sharks don't lack the ability to match teams of similar contender's stature, rather, they have not been able to either a ) extract big performances from their best players at crunch time or b ) limit the opposition's best players.

San Jose's trio of high-priced forwards -- Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dany Heatley -- bear the brunt of the criticism because all three have been prolific regular season scorers, yet have, at times, struggled in the postseason.

TSN.ca

#7 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,679 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image

With the core of a team that has made consecutive trips to the conference finals in place, the San Jose Sharks head into this off-season looking for tweaks more than an overhaul.

Sportsnet.ca

#8 OFFLINE   sharkiesgirl

sharkiesgirl

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Seto may be due for a raise, but he's gone on record saying he'd take a discount to be able to stay in San Jose....but with his name constantly flying around in trade rumors, it will be interesting to see what happens during the summer!

#9 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,679 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Sharks just called a press conference. Appears as if Setoguchi got his extension.

#10 OFFLINE   sharkiesgirl

sharkiesgirl

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Well I'm glad that's all settled! :yes: