Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 Team USA Roster

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bubba83

Bubba83

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 367 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:12
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

So I posted this is another thread, but I think it deserves its own. Discuss.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Backes - Pavelski - Brown
van Riemsdyk - Dubinsky - Booth
Callahan/Pominville

First line has three extreme talents all in their primes at the time. Second line is a similar story. Third line is an absolutely brutal, bruising line with plenty of goal scoring pop. And the fourth line has lots of sandpaper as well as speed and scoring. JVR should be a star by this point. Callahan could easily make the team, potentially bumping out my homer choice of Booth.

Suter - J. Johnson
E. Johnson - Carlson
Orpik - Whitney
Carle/Liles

Top pairing has the offensive Johnson with Suter as a rock to cover any issues. Johnson's balance should work well with Carlson, who should be an offensive and all around stud by 2014. As much as I'm not an Orpik fan, his toughness is needed on the 3rd pair, although I can't predict the 6th D-man. Whitney, if healthy, could be a huge offensive boost. Carle would be an excellent choice as well.

Miller
Quick
Anderson

At 34, this will probably be Miller's last hurrah. I think he provides a much needed veteran presence, although it's possible Quick has eclipsed him by this point. Anderson could be replaced by Jimmy Howard depending on which way their careers develop.

Overall, I think this team competes for Gold again. Nearly every single player on this team will be in the prime of their careers, and probably 75% will be there in 2018 too.

I also submit that I may be forgetting a very talented player's nationality that didn't play in 2014. If I forgot an obvious choice, please remind me.

I would put Stastny centering the top line as I think he's more heady than Kesler and can playmake a little better. Kesler is good at shutting down people in addition to his offense which is usually better on the second line.

Pominville should be on the 4th line instead of Booth, and I like Callahan on the fourth line too since he brings such a nice all around game. He blocks a ton of shots and hits people like whoa.

On D, I'd put Carle as the 6th.

I'd probably also go Quick over Miller but it's really tough to know where Miller is at with the Sabres defense playing so poorly.

Also someone like Max Pacioretty should be considered as well.

There's a bunch of up and coming players right now that could be good enough to be on the team too at a super young age, but it'd be hard to justify it. The few that come to mind right now are Alex Galchenyuk, Kyle Palmieri, Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba.

*EDIT* Just realized your original post was from 2011 that I was basing my reply off of, darnit!

This point has been edited by Bubba83: 06 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

#22 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, Bubba, if you look at my previous post, it takes a lot of what you said into consideration.

#23 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

http://www.usatoday....y-team/1896761/

Projected goalies: Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings) and Jimmy Howard (Detroit Red Wings)

Discussion: Goaltending is the USA's chief strength, and Cory Schneider (Vancouver Canucks) could also be the the No. 3, depending upon how much he plays this season and next. The wild card is Craig Anderson (Ottawa Senators). If he continues to play as well as he has in the early going this season, he has to be considered.

Agreed with the first two picks, but not sure I'd take Howard as the three right now. If the choice was now, it would be pretty unquestionably Anderson. Not that the third goalie should have to make too big an impact, but you never know. The real interesting thing is do you give Miller the job, hoping he catches the magic from 2010, or do you give Quick the job based on last season? Neither is playing particularly amazing right now, but luckily we've got a year to sort that out.

Projected centers: Ryan Kesler (Vancouver), Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche), Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks) and David Backes (St. Louis Blues)

Discussion: The Americans' problem area is at center. They have quality players at the position, but no superstars. It's not like the 1990s when the Americans could send out Pat LaFontaine, Mike Modano, Jeremy Roenick, Doug Weight and big, gritty Joel Otto just to keep you honest. On paper, the Americans don't measure up at center against a Canadian team that can offer Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews, Joe Thornton and John Tavares at center. Plus, the Americans have to be concerned about Kesler's health. He has had more than his fair share of medical woes. Because this is an area of concern, Derek Stepan and maybe even role players Justin Abdelkader and Brian Boyle are very much in the mix. They might be a good fit as fourth line role players. The Americans might even consider using James van Riemsdyk at center. If you like long shots, think about Montreal Canadiens rookie Alex Galchenyuk. It seems highly unlikely he would be ready for such a big stage. But he is richly skilled.

Agreed with the choices. They don't have elite scoring at C, but all four of these guys is quality, and Backes combines grit with offensive pop. Stepan would be an okay choice, as would Galchenyuk if he's deemed ready. But if we're talking about Abdelkader and Boyle, we're in trouble.

Projected left wings: Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild), Max Pacioretty (Montreal), Van Riemsdyk (Toronto Maple Leafs) and T.J. Oshie (St. Louis)

Discussion: Anaheim Ducks winger Bobby Ryan is still very much in the mix, and it's hard to believe that the USA wouldn't have room for a proven 30-goal scorer. But Parise is a lock, and Pacioretty and Van Riemsdyk are younger players on the rise. Oshie seems like a good fit because he is an energy guy who can make things happens offensively.

No way our team can afford to pass on a proven scorer like Ryan. I would imagine JVR is still a question mark, as he's yet to take the step we all expected. Oshie is a decent option, but we have a lot of those energy guys already.

Projected right wings: Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), Phil Kessel (Toronto), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers) and Dustin Brown (Los Angeles Kings)

Discussion: Kane is even more dangerous on big ice, and Kessel can also take advantage of the extra 15 feet with his speed. Callahan and Brown are highly desirable because they can play at a high level offensively and provide physical play.

No brainer choices here and arguably the biggest strength outside of goaltending. Two elite scorers and two gritty forwards with great offensive touch.

Projected 13th forward: Jason Pominville (Buffalo)

Discussion: He has been one of the league's more consistent scorers over the past few seasons, and given the way he is playing this season he could easily find a place in the top six in Sochi. He has scored between 20 and 34 goals over the past six seasons. Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg Jets) could be in the hunt if someone in the top 13 falters.

There's no doubt that this guy needs to be a regular in the lineup. He probably can't crack the top four RW, which is saying a lot since he's one of the better players in the league the past two seasons. Even if he has to play out of the position, we need Pominville out there.

Projected defensemen: Jack Johnson (Columbus Blue Jackets), Ryan Suter (Minnesota), Kevin Shattenkirk (St. Louis), Erik Johnson (Colorado), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins), Justin Faulk (Carolina Hurricanes) and Keith Yandle (Phoenix Coyotes).

Discussion: The American defense is far from settled. Jack Johnson and Suter are locks, and Shattenkirk is playing too well to ignore. As a rule, U.S.-born general managers love Orpik's edgy defensive game. Faulk is viewed as a rising star. Erik Johnson isn't the lock he once was. Yandle's offensive skill makes him attractive. Ryan McDonagh (Rangers) is probably next on the American list, and he would probably make the top seven on some lists. Alex Goligoski, Cam Fowler, Jake Gardiner, John Carlson and Paul Martin are solidly in the mix. Goligoski played well at last spring's World Championships, and Martin is a versatile defender. Dustin Byfuglien is a force at the NHL level, but it's unknown about whether he would be effective on the big ice surface. It's not unthinkable that the committee might look at him as a fourth-line forward. If the selection committee decides the team needs more grit, Tim Gleason could be in the mix.

No way McDonaugh doesn't make the team. At this point, I'm not sure I see Faulk as a top six, as he'll only be 21 and I haven't seen the rise some are claiming. Have to be careful with too much of a gritty guy on big ice, but Orpik still has a chance. I can envision one of Goligoski or Fowler making it, and John Carlson has a chance if he can get things on track again. I still love the idea of Byfuglien as a secret weapon to annoy the other goalie (especially if its Luongo).

#24 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Isn't there a national tournament in Finland and Sweden this may? Aaaaaaaaah were gonna kill that!

#25 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Here is my updated roster.

Parise - Kesler - Kane

Ryan - Pavelski - Kessel

Brown - Backes - Callahan

Pacioretty - Stastny - Pominville

Stepan, Oshie

My top priority on the top six was to break up what I think are our two
elite offensive talents (Kane, Kessel). Both are listed as RW, so that's
not hard. Kesler is a monster when healthy, and plays with his heart on
his sleeve with the US, making him the best 1C choice. I almost dropped
Bobby Ryan down, but it's hard to envision him on the fourth line.
Maybe he switches with Pacioretty though. I salivate over a Brown,
Backes, Callahan line - as they are our ultimate shutdown line that can
contribute offensively. They shouldn't be any higher than this, as
watching them in the playoffs, they haven't created much offensively.
This is their ideal role on a stacked team. My fourth line here is
filled with guys that can play top six, but didn't necessarily have a
place, including the always underrated Pominville. Just personal
preference here. Stepan and Oshie deserve a role, but I can't see where.

Suter - McDonagh

Carlson - Faulk

J. Johnson - Martin

Yandle, Shattenkirk, Byfuglien

The first pair is a no brainer, and will play monster minutes.
Admittedly, the rest are a complete crap shoot to me. Carlson and Faulk
is a young pairing that I'm not entirely comfortable with, but both have
played big roles for the US in the past. Can't see Jack Johnson not
being here. I want to include all the d-men on this list, and there's
still more that can be included. I want Byfuglien there as a secret
weapon (especially if a Luongo-led Canada squad comes a knockin').

Quick

Miller

Anderson

No brainer here either. Quick has to be the guy, but if he stumbles for
some reason, toss Miller in and hope for the 2010 magic to return.

PP1:

Kessel - Callahan - Kane

Kesler - Suter

Load it up. Callahan parks in front of the net and two elite wingers get
it there. Kesler is great on the point, and Suter is a top option for
the one d-man set.

PP2:

Parise - Pavelski - Pominville/Pacioretty

Byfuglien - J. Johnson

This is why I want Byfuglien. He's awesome to watch on the power play.
Even if he has to play up front, I'd like to see it. Pominville has
experience playing the point if we want another 4 F set. I've seen
Pavelski with some nice deflections on the PP and is a good option.

#26 ONLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Cam Fowler anyone? I wouldn't put Bobby Ryan on the team.

#27 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Cam Fowler anyone? I wouldn't put Bobby Ryan on the team.

Fowler is a solid option but I don't see who gets left off for him. He's great offensively but not a rock defensively yet with room to grow. I imagine he'll be a lock in 2018.

Ryan is too talented to leave off with our lack of offensive skill depth.