Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

False Parity

• Locked Goal This goal is locked
683 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Work your ass off under the system now and you will get the same result.

It's the same result!

#22 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,563 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

im quite content with the current system...

for the record, losing in OT should be worth more than losing in Regulation... so if there must be a change, go to the 3 point system

and whoever brought up bringing ties back, please please please no... ties are just flat wrong, we play the game to determine a winner, not to call it even after 65 min

#23 Guest_zudabaker_*

Guest_zudabaker_*

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Work your ass off under the system now and you will get the same result.

It's the same result!

Clearly since you said this leaves potential for a 1 or 2 team playoff swap.

#24 Guest_zudabaker_*

Guest_zudabaker_*

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

im quite content with the current system...

for the record, losing in OT should be worth more than losing in Regulation... so if there must be a change, go to the 3 point system

and whoever brought up bringing ties back, please please please no... ties are just flat wrong, we play the game to determine a winner, not to call it even after 65 min

Ties are a giant no. I dont like the sound of a 3 point system. A win should be the same amount of points reguardless of overtime. And a loss should be 0.

Never have i ever gotten credit for failing no matter how close i was, and i wouldn't expect my team to get credit for failing to win no matter how close either.

This point has been edited by zudabaker: 11 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

#25 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Clearly since you said this leaves potential for a 1 or 2 team playoff swap.

lol

Potential, but in reality most, if not all, the time the correct teams are there. When every team plays under the same rules it's called equal opportunity. You work your ass off, you will get where you want to be.

#26 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

lol

Potential, but in reality most, if not all, the time the correct teams are there. When every team plays under the same rules it's called equal opportunity. You work your ass off, you will get where you want to be.

With all of that said! There is something fundamentally wrong that a system even if slight has the opportunity for a team (even if it’s one) with more WINS than another loses out on a spot in the playoffs. Again as remote as the possibility, the chance is there and a system that does not have a mechanism to prevent this issue is open for failure and that’s not GOOD.

#27 ONLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

It the system as a whole! The loser point the extra point for a shoot out win. Heck Pheonix lived/lives on that extra point. Again eliminate the gimmick and the problem is solved! I'm not sure why it's so very important to a have a winner in every game at the cost of legitimatacy?

And I'll just point out again that before the shootout, they gave loser points to teams that lost in OT. The loser point and the shootout are not the same thing.

While you seem to prefer ties, bringing them back would not bring in legitimacy. Unless you think legitimacy is watching two teams end a game by not playing cause they are too scared to lose and would rather just tie.

#28 OFFLINE   blackoutdallas

blackoutdallas

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

IF we brought back ties after not giving me realignment....I might F-in kill someone finally.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

What if your team was one of those 1 or 2 teams? Do you have the same opinion? Mine is not one but it's still something to think about.

If the point system is in fact like you say that big of a deal, then I think the question would be relative to who you asked and when... If your team makes it one year because of the point system, then it's no biggie, leave it how it is... But if they "get screwed" the very next year because of the point system, then you would get griping about it from that same fan...

I think the new way is just fine how it is. I'm very competitive, and play a game to win, not tie...

This point has been edited by tonyd316sdmf: 12 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

#30 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

If the point system is in fact like you say that big of a deal, then I think the question would be relative to who you asked and when... If your team makes it one year because of the point system, then it's no biggie, leave it how it is... But if they "get screwed" the very next year because of the point system, then you would get griping about it from that same fan...

I think the new way is just fine how it is. I'm very competitive, and play a game to win, not tie...

That's how I see it as well, it's still on the teams to win. If you want to make sure the loser point isn't in play, just win baby and if you do you will have nothing to worry about.

#31 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

[/b]

That's how I see it as well, it's still on the teams to win. If you want to make sure the loser point isn't in play, just win baby and if you do you will have nothing to worry about.

The key word is WIN not lose!

Show me another sport that rewards losing? As I stated earlier 2 loser points equals one win! Heck golfing and bowling don't reward a guy for ending in a tie and then losing in what ever their extended time is. Also those 2 sports don't set up a gimmick to decide the game. No 7 10 split competition or putting contest.

#32 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Show me another sport that rewards losing? As I stated earlier 2 loser points equals one win! Heck golfing and bowling don't reward a guy for ending in a tie and then losing in what ever their extended time is. Also those 2 sports don't set up a gimmick to decide the game. No 7 10 split competition or putting contest.

If you win in regulation you get 2 points and the other team gets nothing, it's simple. The best teams do that and aren't worried about the extra point. It's no big deal.

#33 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

If you win in regulation you get 2 points and the other team gets nothing, it's simple. The best teams do that and aren't worried about the extra point. It's no big deal.

Unless you're 8 or 9 in the standings!

#34 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Unless you're 8 or 9 in the standings!

Not true, win hockey games in the 60 minutes and they will be fine.

#35 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Not true, win hockey games in the 60 minutes and they will be fine.

Winning in 60 minutes does always happen. Even for the best teams!

Once again show me another sport that reward in OT/SO winner. Please show that.

#36 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Winning in 60 minutes does always happen. Even for the best teams!

Once again show me another sport that reward in OT/SO winner. Please show that.

Show me another sport that has the equal opportunity across it's league like the NHL does and maybe I'd care. You know who's making the playoffs in baseball before the season even starts, basketball is the same way and even lets it's star players stack teams, and the NFL doesn't ever have tie games, so it's mute point. The question is does the system work for hockey, and I'm still on the side that says 99% of the time it does. The right teams make the playoffs in the NHL.

#37 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

We're comparing hockey to golfing and bowling? And saying they are superior to hockey cause they don't have shoot outs?

Two of the world's most boring spectator sports would be better off with something exciting in them.

#38 ONLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

We're comparing hockey to golfing and bowling? And saying they are superior to hockey cause they don't have shoot outs?

Two of the world's most boring spectator sports would be better off with something exciting in them.

And yet both have a better more complete way to decide the outcome of their contests! Winning pct is the best way to seed teams NOT points with the ability to get rewarded for losing!

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Full contact golf and bowling perhaps?!

#40 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Full contact golf and bowling perhaps?!

Good point! How full contact is a shoot out since you brought it up?