Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

False Parity

• Locked Goal This goal is locked
683 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

And yet both have a better more complete way to decide the outcome of their contests! Winning pct is the best way to seed teams NOT points with the ability to get rewarded for losing!

And yet both have the ability to bore me to death. Hockey, even with it's apparently terrible sins of having a shoot out and the loser point (which I dislike myself), is awesome.

The day the NHL starts going "Hey, we really need to make this game more like golf and bowling," is the day I stop watching hockey.

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16
  • Position:Center

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Good point! How full contact is a shoot out since you brought it up?

I was being facetious in the sense that the only way I would watch and or play bowling or golf is if full contact was involved. I find the shootout to be quite entertaining. It's not the greatest solution to decide the winner of a game, but it's still better than a tie IMO

#43 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Here the best example of the system being bad. Florida has 50 points and they have lost 21 games (8 in OTL) and Boston has 55 points and has lost only 12 games (1 OTL). Florida has lost 9 more games then Boston and are only 5 points out of the conference lead! That's just wrong.

#44 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Here the best example of the system being bad. Florida has 50 points and they have lost 21 games (8 in OTL) and Boston has 55 points and has lost only 12 games (1 OTL). Florida has lost 9 more games then Boston and are only 5 points out of the conference lead! That's just wrong.

How many of Boston's wins come from the gimmick that you dislike?

EDIT: And how many of Florida's losses are gimmick losses?

#45 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

How many of Boston's wins come from the gimmick that you dislike?

EDIT: And how many of Florida's losses are gimmick losses?

Right now I can't find a breakdown source but what I did is this. Florida would 11 points off of conference lead and in 5th place and not 1st in their division.

Do you have a source?

#46 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

The other thing wo the loser point in the WC Dallas jumps to the 3 seed and with it they are out.

#47 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Okay let look a little deeper!

Florida has 21wins and 21 losses and is ahead of Wash with 22 wins and 19 losses.

St. Louis has 25 wins and 18 losses and is ahead Detroit with 27 wins and 16 losses.

LA has 21 wins and 23 losses and is ahead of Dallas with 24 wins and 18 losses.

This theme seems to more common than many here are willing realize.

Chicago has 26 wins and St. Louis has 25 wins and both are above Detroit in the standings while Detroit has 27 wins. I challenge someone to explain how that's okay?

#48 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think there are far more pressing issues in the game than its point system... perhaps concussions.

Regardless of the system, you continue to argue that its not a level playing field. Every team has every opportunity to win each night. I don't know why its necessary to complicate it when the soul goal of every team is to win each night.

#49 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

I think there are far more pressing issues in the game than its point system... perhaps concussions.

Regardless of the system, you continue to argue that its not a level playing field. Every team has every opportunity to win each night. I don't know why its necessary to complicate it when the soul goal of every team is to win each night.

I do indeed understand there other issues on the NHL. But nobody here yet has given a VALID reason why it should accepted that a team can LOSE more game than another and be ranked higher or even worse in playoffs while other isnt. Better system! Count wins and losses and rank teams by their winning pct!

#50 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Do all teams have the same ability to obtain "loser points"?

#51 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Do all teams have the same ability to obtain "loser points"?

Yes! But why punish the team with MORE WINS and less losses?

#52 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

So then the current system is a level playing field and everyone has the same opportunitys.

There is no problem.

Worry about your teams success, not things it has no barrings to change.

Win your games and you have a mute point.

#53 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

So then the current system is a level playing field and everyone has the same opportunitys.

There is no problem.

Worry about your teams success, not things it has no barrings to change.

Win your games and you have a mute point.

Dude now you're being silly! Every team can't win every game! Again win pct and no loser is the best way to do this! Heck you guys are arguing so much for this system that your team must have benefitted from said loser points!

The shoot out and the loser point is in place due GB wanting to attract fans from markets that to this could not give a rats ass about hockey and never will. Due military commitments I have lived in the sun belt. And probably 1 in a 1000 would watch a hockey game. And you know what the ones watch it wait for? Not the nice one timer! Not the dangle! They wait for the fight! Please stop please the non I don't really care about hockey traditional fans.

#54 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I don't think you understand competition.

Its up to the team to put themselves into the standings, regardless of the system in place.

#55 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

I don't think you understand competition.

Its up to the team to put themselves into the standings, regardless of the system in place.

I don't think you understand 2 loser points equals 1 win! If you don't see that look in the Central Division the team most wins is NOT in first place. Wins my boy wins is all that should matter!

#56 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I find it ignorant that you feel its so easy to get these "loser points". Like any team can just go out there and get a point every night.

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think the only way this could be solved is by setting up a W-L-OTW point system. 2 points for regulation win, and obviously no points for regulation loss. But an overtime win, be it in a shootout, or actual overtime, only merits 1 point, with the loser still walking out with none. Make it a point deduction for not getting it done in regulation, yet the loser still isn't awarded for mediocrity. This makes it no tie league, and appeases the "traditional" fans. W=Regulation win, L=Regulation/overtime/shootout loss, OTW=Overtime win

Just spit balling here

#58 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I'd like to throw it out there, that even though its a bit of a ridiculous test scenario, I ran a 25 year Be a GM Mode franchise simulation where it was all or nothing, and I found it to be quite terrible.

#59 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'd like to throw it out there, that even though its a bit of a ridiculous test scenario, I ran a 25 year Be a GM Mode franchise simulation where it was all or nothing, and I found it to be quite terrible.

Why was it terrible?

#60 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Plausible scenario:

1. NHL proposes and votes for point system that makes sense. NHL makes triumphant announcement of return to sanity, and hockey world rejoices.

2. NHLPA vetoes deal four weeks later because it might hurt players' feelings.