Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Matt Moulson featured at the All Star Game (in video form)!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

This was put up here on the Arena when JT was named to the ASG:

It's too bad they didn't recognize Moulson and the 40 goal pace he is on this season. But that doesn't take anything away from Tavares.

Well, it looks like Matty Moulson will not be completely ignored- he will be there, albeit in video form. :smile:

Posted Image

Over at the New York Times {link} Chris Botta has an exclusive look at “the Science of Hockey,” which will debut on NBCSN this weekend during the All-Star Game. Pretty cool, huh? From the NYT article:

NBC News and NBC Sports have produced a series of 10 educational segments called, “Science of N.H.L. Hockey,” that will debut during NBC Sports Network’s coverage of the All-Star festivities this weekend. The videos, which feature the N.H.L. players Matt Moulson, Pekka Rinne, Brenden Morrow, Erik Johnson and Jaroslav Halak, were made as a learning tool for teachers and students to use in the classroom. Created in conjunction with NBC Learn (the educational arm of NBC News), the N.H.L. and the National Science Foundation, the segments, which will be aligned to lesson plans and national and state education standards, are available to the public free of cost....

The video [see link] features Moulson, the Islanders’ leading goal scorer, on Kinematics and the science of positioning, velocity and acceleration. “We talked a lot about the game of hockey and how I thought things worked from my perspective in relation to different parts of science,” Moulson said. “Then when I got on the ice and filmed shots, I got to see a wide range of different cameras and results. Seeing everything in the slow-motion HD cameras, like the ice chips flying up from my skates in super slo-mo right after I shot it, was pretty neat.”

Other videos focus on passing the puck, making a save and stopping abruptly on the ice and analyze the science behind reflexes, reaction time and linear motion.In each video, a scientist with the National Science Foundation explains a principle. The scientists are Edward Burger of Williams College, Irene Fonseca of Carnegie Mellon, Jim Gates of the University of Maryland, Robert Gehrz of the University of Minnesota and Patricia Shewokis of Drexel University. Moulson and the other N.H.L. players describe how the principle applies to their respective positions. The videos also include game footage provided by the N.H.L. The lesson plans accompanying the videos will be provided by the National Science Teachers Association....

...The segments will be available on NBCLearn.com, NBCSports.com, Science360.com and NHL.com and will be broadcast on NHL Network and on arena scoreboards throughout the league. “Science of N.H.L. Hockey” follows “Science of N.F.L. Football” and “Science of the Olympic Winter Games,” collections produced by NBC in recent years....

Its great that Matty is part of this little series- it might be the science teacher in me, but I look forward to seeing all of them! :smile:

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 25 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,253 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Nice.