Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sundin to be honored at the ACC this weekend

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,086 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

The 40-year-old Sundin was at the University of Toronto on Friday to announce he's donating more than $300,000 to establish a scientific exchange program between the school and the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm.

He's is in Toronto this week as the team is set to honour his No. 13 jersey before Saturday night's home game against the Montreal Canadiens.

Sundin, who now makes his home in Stockholm, returned to Toronto with the Canucks in February 2009 and received a warm reception from fans at Air Canada Centre.

Leafs defenceman Carl Gunnarsson estimates that Sundin is in the top-three favourite players in Sweden with Borje Salming and Peter Forsberg.

"Everyone loves him back home," Gunnarsson said. "Winning the Olympics was huge."

Toronto goalie Jonas Gustavsson remembers watching Sundin when he was growing up in Sweden.

"I could see games because he was one of the greatest. Toronto was one of the teams that we liked to see in Sweden, they showed a lot of games from Toronto," Gustavsson said. "But it's tough to realize how big he is ... before you actually come over here and you hear everybody talking about him.

"It doesn't matter if he's a cab driver from India, he knows two Swedish guys -- that's Salming and Sundin. That's the biggest conversation that I've had with the cab drivers. It's always about them."

My link

Been 4 years. While some I sure could care less I think its long overdue.

#2 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'll be sure to catch that game when it is in progress.

#3 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,252 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hell of a player, good for him.

#4 Guest_Holliday_*

Guest_Holliday_*

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Poor quality, but worth watching!

#5 Guest_Holliday_*

Guest_Holliday_*

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

And he was on OTR today. And he's right, it DOES seem weird looking at pictures of him in a Canucks jersey. Let's just forget that happened.

OTR Video

#6 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

from Doug Gilmour at the Toronto Sun,

Over the years, I’ve heard about how Mats didn’t really get the full respect he deserved from Leaf fans during his time in Toronto because he might not crush defenders all over the ice like Wendel did, or perform with the same style as yours truly.

In my mind, that has never been a fair comparison.

Everyone is different. Everyone plays with their own style.

Inside our dressing room with the Maple Leafs, we knew what we had with Mats. He was a warrior, a trait he never fully got credit for outside of our room.

But, like I said, we knew.

With Mats deservedly having his No. 13 honoured on Saturday at the Air Canada Centre prior to the game against the Montreal Canadiens, there has been a lot of suggestions that he finally is getting the appreciation he deserved now that he has been out of sight, out of mind for a few years.

more

Kuklas Korner

#7 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have been a Leaf fan all my life. I am even old enough to be able to say I watched the Leafs win a Stanley Cup and I saw the game were Sittler had a 10 point night. I was an remain a big Sundin fan. I would rank Sundin right along with Dave Keon, Borje Salming and Daryl Sittler as my all time favorite Leafs.

Sundin is a class act and one hell of a great hockey player and person. His number deserves to be in the rafters with the other Leaf greats

#8 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Sundin was a great player, no doubt. But there is something that feels very phony about raising his number to the rafters.

#9 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,086 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Sundin was a great player, no doubt. But there is something that feels very phony about raising his number to the rafters.

Any phonier than having Gilmour up there? Sundin gave this team 13 full world class seasons. Gilmour was here for technically only 4 with parts more of 2. Even Wendel's 13 seasons are a major technicality due to the 3 different times he played for the Leafs.

I just never get have gotten it. Mats was the ideal employee. World class, never a distraction, never bitched. He came as kind of a pretty boy kid and quickly cleaned up his act and represented this team through his actions. Sundin was amazing to watch. Everynight he was consistently the best player on the ice. Dominating the play while on his shift regardless of who his no name linemates were and often watching the rest of the club being dominated while he was on the bench resting up. Sundin always was a dog in the faceoff, a class penalty killer, and a mountain of a man. No Lindros, Sundin played a 2-way game and did everything right. He also fought through pain better than anyone, only succumbing to very serious injuries like a busted up jaw or a broken arm. Even in his twilight of his career with the Leafs and his hip was a mess the guy still played through the pain even though this team had no chance to win anything.

Unfortunately Mats had too many things against him.

He was Swedish. Big no no. Dontcha know the Leafs Captain has to be Canadian?

He wasn't vocal enough. I will never understand what this means. When I hear fans complain he wasn't vocal enough I can only assume fans wanted more marketing and stock speeches from the guy. Or maybe they wanted Mats to throw his stick at the Leafs coach and request a trade more often like the beloved Dougie Gilmour.

He didn't wear his heart on his sleeve? Give me a break. The guy had to suffer through a dozen root canals to fix a bust jaw and he missed only 8 games!

He never won a cup. Yeah well neither did Dougie or Wendel or Domi or Tucker or any other Leaf for the past 4 decades so um yeah, good luck with that one!

As a manager I love employees like Mats. Guys who are just straight up workhorses. They come to work, do their job, and excel and succeed. They don't ask for much in return but a fair wage and they don't wine, bitch, or make a spectacle of themselves. They take pride in their work and Mats was a very prideful player. I miss Mats probably more than any other player I have ever seen suit up for the Leafs the past three decades. Yes even little Dougie...

#10 Guest_Holliday_*

Guest_Holliday_*

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Any phonier than having Gilmour up there? Sundin gave this team 13 full world class seasons. Gilmour was here for technically only 4 with parts more of 2. Even Wendel's 13 seasons are a major technicality due to the 3 different times he played for the Leafs.

I just never get have gotten it. Mats was the ideal employee. World class, never a distraction, never bitched. He came as kind of a pretty boy kid and quickly cleaned up his act and represented this team through his actions. Sundin was amazing to watch. Everynight he was consistently the best player on the ice. Dominating the play while on his shift regardless of who his no name linemates were and often watching the rest of the club being dominated while he was on the bench resting up. Sundin always was a dog in the faceoff, a class penalty killer, and a mountain of a man. No Lindros, Sundin played a 2-way game and did everything right. He also fought through pain better than anyone, only succumbing to very serious injuries like a busted up jaw or a broken arm. Even in his twilight of his career with the Leafs and his hip was a mess the guy still played through the pain even though this team had no chance to win anything.

He wasn't vocal enough. I will never understand what this means. When I hear fans complain he wasn't vocal enough I can only assume fans wanted more marketing and stock speeches from the guy. Or maybe they wanted Mats to throw his stick at the Leafs coach and request a trade more often like the beloved Dougie Gilmour.

He didn't wear his heart on his sleeve? Give me a break. The guy had to suffer through a dozen root canals to fix a bust jaw and he missed only 8 games!

He never won a cup. Yeah well neither did Dougie or Wendel or Domi or Tucker or any other Leaf for the past 4 decades so um yeah, good luck with that one!

As a manager I love employees like Mats. Guys who are just straight up workhorses. They come to work, do their job, and excel and succeed. They don't ask for much in return but a fair wage and they don't wine, bitch, or make a spectacle of themselves. They take pride in their work and Mats was a very prideful player. I miss Mats probably more than any other player I have ever seen suit up for the Leafs the past three decades. Yes even little Dougie...

Yes to all of this!

I've never liked the Leafs, but I was subjected to them for most of my life. And I think Sundin is the most deserving of all the players who have had their numbers retired that I can remember. (I think I only remember two others... but still.) He's also the only Leafs captain I didn't hate (again, of the ones I can remember). Because how can you hate Mats? I think I even had a poster of him up in my room when I was younger.

#11 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:29
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Good player. Too bad they couldn't get a win for him on top of the great ceremony.

#12 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Actually, none of that had to do with it. I have always been a staunch supporter of Sundin during his time with us. I am also of the belief that the man never owed us anything in terms of waiving his NTC.

I did have a beef with him when he decided to join the Canucks mid-season after telling Leaf fans that he had no interest in joining another club unless he was there from training camp on.

The reason I expected the ceremony to feel phony, had to do with the last time Sundin was in town this past season. He got his fair share of jumbo-tron time, received several standing ovations and was interviewed to death during game play. I found the whole evening to be rather phony and nauseating.

I did watch this pregame ceremony and it proved to not be half as bad as I was imagining. Didn't start off so hot, with Andy Frost gushing over him, calling him a hero or sorts.

Sundin deserves to hang from the rafters as much as anyone else up there. His career might prove to be the best among all Leafs. But this city hasn't had a hero (in sporting terms), since 1967.