Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPod Touch Help and Advice

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:29
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'm gonna to be getting an iPod touch pretty soon that's gonna replace my cheap $10 mp3 player. I plan on using it to replace all my Cd's I carry around in my car.

I have NO experience with Apple products whatsoever, this will be my first. How is it? Does anyone else have one and can share how it is or what I should do with it, or what to download? Any help is appreciated because I have no experience with these or anything that involves apps.

On a side note, I can upload regular mp3's to them without converting them right? I've heard that I have to convert them first. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 OFFLINE   Left Wing Loner

Left Wing Loner

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:77
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm gonna to be getting an iPod touch pretty soon that's gonna replace my cheap $10 mp3 player. I plan on using it to replace all my Cd's I carry around in my car.

I have NO experience with Apple products whatsoever, this will be my first. How is it? Does anyone else have one and can share how it is or what I should do with it, or what to download? Any help is appreciated because I have no experience with these or anything that involves apps.

On a side note, I can upload regular mp3's to them without converting them right? I've heard that I have to convert them first. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you want all the extra aps, I'd skip the touch and go for the iPod classic to load all the music up on. It's a ton cheaper than the touch. Also if you go to Apple's website you can order a refurbished iPod and save yourself about 1/3 of the price.

#3 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Unless you want all the extra aps, I'd skip the touch and go for the iPod classic to load all the music up on. It's a ton cheaper than the touch. Also if you go to Apple's website you can order a refurbished iPod and save yourself about 1/3 of the price.

I never realized it, but the Classic is way bigger storage wise and that's what I need. I have well over 500 Cd's stored on my external hard drive, and the classic sounds like a good choice.

But again, do I have to convert all my songs, or can I store them as they are, mp3's?

#4 OFFLINE   Left Wing Loner

Left Wing Loner

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:77

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

I never realized it, but the Classic is way bigger storage wise and that's what I need. I have well over 500 Cd's stored on my external hard drive, and the classic sounds like a good choice.

But again, do I have to convert all my songs, or can I store them as they are, mp3's?

I had RealPlayer before I got an iPod for Christmas a couple years back. What you do is download iTunes (it's free) and then you just import files. It should find all of your mp3 files and automatically make an iTunes copy of them. Then you plug the iPod in through the USB port and you're done.

#5 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,807 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

The iPod will play mp3 files and the apple format (m4a, I think it is). You can even set itunes to import CDs into either format if you are importing new ones.

#6 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I love my 64G 3rd Gen Touch... the importing of your CDs will be a very time consuming process, but in the end it will be very hand to have everything in your pocket...

#7 OFFLINE   CrittersBuggin

CrittersBuggin

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

ive had various iPods since about 2004. my original 60GB was able to hold about 12,000 songs... or approx 1000 CD's worth of music at approx 12 songs per disk. id say going with the 64GB touch is the way to go (if you have the extra cash)and still have room for growth.

main problem with buying one of the iPod Classics (with the old school wheel control) is that they stopped making them couple years back. you can DEF get them for cheap (last i checked an 80GB was around $90 on a refurbished site), but who knows how long it will last and how well it was treated previously.

#8 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

main problem with buying one of the iPod Classics (with the old school wheel control) is that they stopped making them couple years back. you can DEF get them for cheap (last i checked an 80GB was around $90 on a refurbished site), but who knows how long it will last and how well it was treated previously.

But I can get a new one from Apple.com though right? I could have swore I saw them on there.

This point has been edited by SgtFrenchy: 21 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

#9 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

This is the classic I was talking about.

#10 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

This is the classic I was talking about.

The Classic is definitely your best option if your goal is strictly music. (I'm not sure if it can still do videos)

#11 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

The Classic is definitely your best option if your goal is strictly music. (I'm not sure if it can still do videos)

Well it's definitely what I want one for. I basically want something to hold all my music, not so much video's. The other extra's were just icing on the cake. I don't really need them. I plan on getting an iPad in the future anyway, so not getting the iPod touch wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   CrittersBuggin

CrittersBuggin

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

holy cow...they do still make the classics.... i wasnt even aware they did... 160GB of storage... lol...you aint filling that thing up anytime soon

#13 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,807 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yes, they can do video still.

holy cow...they do still make the classics.... i wasnt even aware they did... 160GB of storage... lol...you aint filling that thing up anytime soon

Trust me, 160GB disappears quicker than you'd think. I've only got maybe 16-17 GB free on mine.

#14 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Trust me, 160GB disappears quicker than you'd think. I've only got maybe 16-17 GB free on mine.

But you must have a lot of songs in there though. I'm leaning towards the classic, would you recommended it?

#15 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,807 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

But you must have a lot of songs in there though. I'm leaning towards the classic, would you recommended it?

Yeah, i've currently got 29000-some songs on there. I love my classic. Got it just before christmas. Upgraded from a 6GB mini. It is SOOO nice to be able to put my whole iTunes library on there at once instead of the intricate series of rolling playlists to keep it constantly refreshed.

#16 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

I have an ipod, here are some tips.

1. Don't plan on going more than 5 minutes away from your computer because the battery cant hold a charge.
2. Never buy music from iTunes. Music bought from iTunes is never really "yours". It's protected from being moved to other forms of storage that aren't other apple products. So for example burning a CD and wanting to play it on another computer is not allowed. You can move your music if you get a new computer but it's complicated and not worth the time. Get your mp3's from Amazon and just store them in a folder for iTunes to reference, and they're yours to do with whatever you please.
3. If you start experiencing problems, there's a three step process for fixing any problem with any apple product from ipods to macbooks.

Step 1: Pick up selected apple product.
Step 2: Throw it in the nearest garbage bin.
Step 3: Go buy a legitimate tech good.

This point has been edited by Xcal97: 21 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

#17 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have an ipod, here are some tips.

1. Don't plan on going more than 5 minutes away from your computer because the battery cant hold a charge.
2. Never buy music from iTunes. Music bought from iTunes is never really "yours". It's protected from being moved to other forms of storage that aren't other apple products. So for example burning a CD and wanting to play it on another computer is not allowed. You can move your music if you get a new computer but it's complicated and not worth the time. Get your mp3's from Amazon and just store them in a folder for iTunes to reference, and they're yours to do with whatever you please.
3. If you start experiencing problems, there's a three step process for fixing any problem with any apple product from ipods to macbooks.

Step 1: Pick up selected apple product.
Step 2: Throw it in the nearest garbage bin.
Step 3: Go buy a legitimate tech good.

While I am no Apple Junky, you are pretty far off on this

1. my Ipod goes days without needing a charge (beats all of my tech excluding my Kindle Keyboard), so any battery issues you had must have been a lemon

2. You are half right on Itunes. The protections were a pain in the ass, but have since become less restrictive. But if you burn a CD, you can play it on any system, thats how I moved songs to my Xbox and share some with friends and family. and Its not too complicated to transfer music from an old to a new computer, simply hook up your Ipod and the music will transfer to the new computer (it might take a couple hours depending on number of music and transfer speeds). But I much prefer Amazon for Apps (with my Androids) and sometimes with Music

3. Id argue that apple products are more reliable than any other, pretty much you pay what you get for. I am drawn towards Android Phones and Tablets and Windows PCs because I prefer the interface... part of me wants to buy a macbook, and run Windows on it.... but I dont have 2300 bucks for a macbook pro

#18 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Well I already have a shit-ton of music, so downloading wont be an issue so much.

This is my first Apple product, I'm not much of an Apple guy. I've always said that I'd never own one, but here I am. I just feel that the iPod classic fits my needs exactly.

As far as the computers go, I'm all set with mac. I'll stick to my pc's. I have a Toshiba that runs Ubuntu, which is awesome, and a HP that has Windows 7. They're fine for what I need them for.

#19 OFFLINE   Douglas

Douglas

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I can only imagine 29000 songs. I could rip ever cd Ive ever owned and probably not break 2k.

itunes is an interesting app. You can download into their native m4a or the program can convert to mp3. Ive never owned an ipod of any type. Happy with my 8gb coby. (Yeah, I know that does nothing to answer your questions)

#20 OFFLINE   cbj10

cbj10

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:10

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

I have a 8gb 4th generation and I love it but I do agree that I have to charge it almost every day.