Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Greatest Devil to Wear #7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Who's the Greatest Devil to wear #7? (6 fans have cast votes)

1. Voted Paul Martin (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Alexei Kasatonov (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:2
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ugh. #7 has historically not been worn by the best players in New Jersey. This was the only time I considered putting a Rockies player on the ballot. The only two players to wear the number over the course of 3 seasons or more are listed. I considered a few others, but it realistically would have been a waste of all of our times. So here we go:

Paul Martin - Martin played 70 games his rookie season in 2003-04 after being drafted in the 2nd round by the Devils in 2000. Although Martin wasnt able to lift the cup with the Devils in 03, he did win the NCAA national championship with Minnesota, beating my UNH Wildcats, a few months prior. He played a consistent game in New Jersey over the course of 6 seasons, one of the top defenders for a handful of division champions. After playing only 22 games in 2009-10, and being a part of another unbearable 1st round playoff exit, the plastic frame glasses wearing hipster signed with division rivals in Pittsburgh. He still wears #7

Alexei Kasatonov - Kasatonov was another one of those Eastern Bloc signings on the verge of the Soviet Union collapse in the early 90's. Kasatonov played 4 seasons in New Jersey, good for 257 appearances in a Devils uniform. He collected 119 points before going to the expansion Mighty Ducks of Anaheim before the 1993-94 season. He assisted on Wildwing's first career goal, the beginning of a Hall of Fame career for the oversized, hockey playing duck. Kasatonov was the first Duck to wear #7

Facts and fun things:

- Jack O'Callahan, 1980 U.S Olympic hero, wore #7 in New Jersey for 2 seasons, and was a part of the 1988 playoff team. He played his final professional game in the Red and Green, retiring following the 89 season. He did, however, represent the States in the World Championships that year. If you google Jack O'Callahan on the Devils, the only thing you'll find is him scrapping with some Rangers low life. +1
- Although Erik. C's research and Hockey Reference disagree over whether or not Willie Mitchell wore #6, it is a commonly accepted belief that he did in fact wear #7.

Well, wasn't than fun. #8 next

#2 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Paul Martin. Jack of all trades, master of sitting on IR.

#3 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Not a great class. I would've gone with Tallinder had he'd been here longer.

#4 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Agreed. Which is why I think I'll go with Kasatonov.

#5 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I almost added another fun fact involving Jeff Larmer, but the achievement I was gonna add he did while wearing 25 from my research. (Set the single season rookie goal scoring record with 21. Kevin Todd would later tie it.)

#6 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

I almost added another fun fact involving Jeff Larmer, but the achievement I was gonna add he did while wearing 25 from my research. (Set the single season rookie goal scoring record with 21. Kevin Todd would later tie it.)

Yes, 82-83. The next year he was the first Devil to wear the number. Where do you get your information? You seem to be a book on the Devils.

#7 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Yes, 82-83. The next year he was the first Devil to wear the number. Where do you get your information? You seem to be a book on the Devils.

I have a lot of sources that I compiled the info into the Pitchfork. Mainly, I've used the Devils' media guide, the Devils' website, Hockey Reference, Hockey Draft Central, and an extension of the Flyers History site that's called the Hockey Summary project. That has most of the box scores in league history compiled.