Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

The silliness of rooting to drop in the standings to play the Florida Panthers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

It’s the popular thing to say these days: “I want my team to get the 6th seed in order to play team XYZ!”  This year, team XYZ is the Panthers.What a terrible thing to wish upon your team.  Can you say short term benefit at the expense of the long term?  However, to justify their position, they’ll say the equally ignorant: “But home ice advantage isn’t important, stupid.”How does something that is just flat out false become common knowledge?  I mean, as far as I know, NHL playoff positions aren’t discussed on cable news.  Home ice advantage is without a doubt a major predictor in whether or not you’ll win the Cup.  Since the start of the current era (1992 to present), only one team out of 18 Cup winners has not entered the playoffs as a top 4 seed.  And that team was the 5thseed New Jersey Devils in 1994-95, where the lockout shortened the season to 48 games, lowering the regular season sample size.Seeds of Cup WinnersOf course, after the first round is over, you could lose your...

View the full article

#2 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

I can't tell how I feel about this lol. Thought it was going to be more of a compliment to us.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

No team would lose games to get into a particular spot... but if they did, they would deserve what they get. IMO anyone who thinks the Panthers will be easy to beat in the playoffs is deluding themselves.

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 28 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

#4 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

heh, there was I time I had my Avalanche gunning for the 6th seed... but that was so they wouldnt have to Face Vancouver or St Louis....

#5 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

heh, there was I time I had my Avalanche gunning for the 6th seed... but that was so they wouldnt have to Face Vancouver or St Louis....

Relatively speaking I guess I can kinda understand the idea of NOT wanting to face a particular team- as opposed to thinking facing a particular team gives you an easy route to a series win. Thats just not reality.
Kind of related- I remember when the Isles were matched up against the Lightning in the playoffs- I was psyched because the Isles had a great record against the Lightning in the regular season. Yeah... that really didnt matter. The Lightning beat the Isles in 5 games... and then went on to win the cup.

#6 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,164 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Relatively speaking I guess I can kinda understand the idea of NOT wanting to face a particular team- as opposed to thinking facing a particular team gives you an easy route to a series win. Thats just not reality.
Kind of related- I remember when the Isles were matched up against the Lightning in the playoffs- I was psyched because the Isles had a great record against the Lightning in the regular season. Yeah... that really didnt matter. The Lightning beat the Isles in 5 games... and then went on to win the cup.

Exactly. You just never know what will happen come playoff time.