Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Brock Nelson signs-- Testify!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

I am a big Brock Nelson Fan {older link} so I was thrilled to read that Brock Nelson signed an ELC with the New York Islanders! :woot:
Garths been interested in signing him for a while now... but we didnt know what Brocks decision was going to be. He had recently put up tweets about hitting the books, so of course some of us wondered whether that was a hint that he was not going to sign.

Posted Image

Fortunately for us, it wasnt. I am absolutely thrilled about this!

From ESPNs (and former Isles beatwriter) Katie Strang:

One of the New York Islanders' top prospects has decided to turn pro. Former first-round draft pick Brock Nelson has decided to forego his final two years at the University of North Dakota. The 20-year-old center agreed to terms with the Islanders on a three-year entry-level contract Tuesday afternoon. Nelson, picked 30th overall in 2010, flourished in his first two seasons with the Fighting Sioux. The 6-foot-4, 192-pound Nelson led the Western Collegiate Hockey Association with 28 goals this year. He also became the school's youngest 20-goal scorer since Jonathan Toews (2005-06) during what was a standout 47-point sophomore season....

From The Isles official site:

The New York Islanders announced today that forward Brock Nelson has agreed to terms on an Entry Level Contract (ECL).

Nelson, 20, led the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in points (47) and goals (28) in 42 games as a sophomore. The Warroad, MN, native ranked third in the nation in goals and tied for 12th in points.

Nelson was named to the all-tournament teams at both the Red Baron Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) Final Five and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) West Regional. He finished the year with five goals in his last five playoff games, leading UND to a third straight Broadmoor Trophy as WCHA champion and a berth in the regional championship game. Nelson was named the Inside College Hockey “WCHA Breakthrough Player Of The Year” and to the 2011-12 All-College Hockey News Second Team.

The Islanders selected Nelson in the first round, 30 overall, of the 2010 National Hockey League Entry Draft. He scored 21 points (8g/13a) in 42 games as a freshman at the University of North Dakota. Nelson recorded a point in every game of his senior season at Warroad High School in Minnesota, finishing with 39 goals and 34 assists in 25 games and being selected one of 10 finalists for the state’s prestigious “Mr. Hockey” Award.

From Lighthouse Hockey:

University of North Dakota sophomore Brock Nelson has signed an entry level contract (ELC) with the New York Islanders. The 2010 30th-overall pick will join their AHL affiliate Bridgeport Sound Tigers for the rest of the season on an amateur tryout (ATO), according to Newsday's Arthur Staple. Nelson had an outstanding sophomore season on a very good top line, with WCHA observers increasingly talking up his potential as an NHL forward. His 28 goals, 19 assists and 47 points in 42 points led the team. He makes an interesting 20/20 hindsight case, as the Islanders traded up from the second round (35th and 58th picks) in 2010 to grab him with the last pick on Day 1 of that draft. Adding spice to Draft Day's blurry lens, he was a Minnesota high school product, so questions lingered whether the (listed) 6'3", 205 lb. kid could duplicate his performance against better competition.

At North Dakota, he's displayed the hockey sense and drive for an NHL career that makes you momentarily ponder the whole "hockey genes" angle -- his uncle is longtime NHLer and 1980 Miracle On Ice winner Dave Christian, and his grandfather and great uncle were on the 1960 fairly miraculous gold medal-winning Olympic squad....

From Brock himself on Twitter:

Brock Nelson@Bnelson29 Would like to thank everyone who was a part of a great time here at UND and was not an easy decision but will never forget it. #Sioux

Looking forward to some more quotes from Brock himself, Ill keep my eyes and ears peeled!

Posted Image
The only photo so far from the press conference...

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 04 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

#2 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Quotes from Brock over on the official page:

...With [so many] accolades already on his impressive resume, Nelson decided he was ready to take the next step, inking an entry-level contract with the Islanders. He will report to Bridgeport Thursday to join the Sound Tigers for their playoff run on an Amateur Tryout Contract. “It’s definitely a great feeling,” Nelson said. “It’s emotional and exciting at the same time.”

The decision to leave college after two years wasn’t an easy one for Nelson. It’s tough to leave behind a close-knit team and put a degree on hold, but to pursue his dreams he said it was the right decision. “I think everyone comes to a point where it is time to move on and I think I was in a win-win situation no matter what the decision was,” he said. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and you can’t guarantee that it’ll happen again. It’s hard to pass up. [UND’s] obviously something I won’t forget and I’ll always remember what happened here.”

...Nelson played 42 games this season for North Dakota, approximately half of the games of the grinding 82-game NHL season. Playing for Bridgeport, he’ll get accustomed to playing three or even four games in a week. “It’s great to get experience now in Bridgeport at the end of the year and to take everything in and get used to it,” he said.

The increase in games isn’t the only transition for Nelson. He is moving over 1,500 miles east to play for a new team, in a new league featuring players with NHL experience. He’ll have to rely on former college foes Aaron Ness and Matt Donovan to show him the ropes. “I want to contribute any way as called upon,” Nelson said. “I don’t really know what to expect right away, but I know a couple of guys from camps and playing against some of them in college. It’ll be nice to have a couple of guys I know and be able to talk to."

In North Dakota Nelson passed his collegiate tests with flying colors. Now that he’s posted in Connecticut, he’s one step closer to the big stage on the Island....

#3 OFFLINE   Savafan1

Savafan1

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 247 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well from the praise this kid has been getting I can see why you are so excited for him. Let's hope he can live up to all this potential.