Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are the fans to blame?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Selly

Selly

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,071 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Are fans to blame for Leafs' mess?

Let’s begin this delineation of Leafs Nation with a curveball.

Grant DePorter, president of the Chicago Cubs fan club, the West Side Rooters, says Toronto hockey fans have yet to endure the ultimate test of unrequited loyalty, even without a Stanley Cup since 1967.

“Forty-five years? That’s nothing,” DePorter deadpans on the phone from Harry Caray’s Restaurant. “We eat that for breakfast in Chicago. Fans here would be so happy if it was only 45 years for the Cubs.”

More right here

#2 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yes the fans and the media make it worse.

They demand changes when changing for changes sake makes no sense.

There is a long list of players and management that the fans decided were the problem. Off the top I can't remember a time when the fans or the media for that matter were right.

1. Ron Wilson was the problem and the reason the leafs were losing so the media and the fans drove him out. Leafs got worse.

2. Bryan McCabe was booed out of town only to go onto much better days in Florida were he was appreciated so much they made him team captain. Leafs defense took a step back after McCabe left.

3, Remember Larry Murphy? He only went on to lead Detroit to Stanley cup wins, was selected to the all star team and now is a fixture in the Hockey Hall of Fame just down the street from the ACC.

Lately some have started to muse that Burke should be the next to be railroaded out of town.

The media and the fans that follow the media lead continue to try to manage the team despite the fact they have no expertise. It is unlikely the Leafs will ever be given the time needed for a team to develop into a champion with all the second guessing that goes on by the media and most fans.

Kessel is only 24 but already the media and some fans are calling for him to be traded. The saga just keeps going on and on I doubt the fans will ever realize they just need to be patient and let those with some proven experience and expertise call the shots and stop trying to second guess every move that is made.

I guess I can always dream.

#3 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yes the fans and the media make it worse.

They demand changes when changing for changes sake makes no sense.

There is a long list of players and management that the fans decided were the problem. Off the top I can't remember a time when the fans or the media for that matter were right.

1. Ron Wilson was the problem and the reason the leafs were losing so the media and the fans drove him out. Leafs got worse.

2. Bryan McCabe was booed out of town only to go onto much better days in Florida were he was appreciated so much they made him team captain. Leafs defense took a step back after McCabe left.

3, Remember Larry Murphy? He only went on to lead Detroit to Stanley cup wins, was selected to the all star team and now is a fixture in the Hockey Hall of Fame just down the street from the ACC.

Lately some have started to muse that Burke should be the next to be railroaded out of town.

The media and the fans that follow the media lead continue to try to manage the team despite the fact they have no expertise. It is unlikely the Leafs will ever be given the time needed for a team to develop into a champion with all the second guessing that goes on by the media and most fans.

Kessel is only 24 but already the media and some fans are calling for him to be traded. The saga just keeps going on and on I doubt the fans will ever realize they just need to be patient and let those with some proven experience and expertise call the shots and stop trying to second guess every move that is made.

I guess I can always dream.

You really don't say much but I will add, the day McCabe left, the team went for a shit, patients in the GTA or southern Ont,? Crap. The way mgt. and players are paid and recruited, you win everytime out!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Why would Leafs fans be calling for Kessel to be traded?
Who the heck is going to step into his place?

#5 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Why would Leafs fans be calling for Kessel to be traded?
Who the heck is going to step into his place?

Tor or southern Ont is , like most of Canada is really hockey crazy . The people who follow hockey, really follow hockey. We have some real good ball players but we got some real good hockey players as well that really can be overlooked and are. (a discussion for another time). Every coach in Can. just dreams about kids like Kessel, a kid who he could teach forchecking and backchecking to go with what seems to be a natural talent.

#6 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Phi Kessel is only 24 years old yet has already played six seasons in the NHL. Phil Kessel's point production in those six years has been 29, 367, and then 60 while playing with Boston. With Leafs he has had 55, 64 and 82 point seasons. This year was a career for Phil Kessel with 37 goals and 82 points and still one game to go. He will be 25 at the start of the next season. He has already scored 165 goals in the NHL with 327 points in the NHL but the best years are still to come. Kessel will be the first player to score 50 goals in a season at some point perhaps even next season, that is if the Leafs don't respond to stupid calls to move Kessel out.

Now Kessel is not the kind of player that can carry the team to greatness by himself but it is hard to imagine how the Leafs will ever become a contending team without a player like Kessel. Players with his skill level are far and few between. Burke managed to grab one and when you get an elite player you hang onto them and work hard to add complimentary players.

Moving Kessel would be a major setback for Leafs attempts to become a contending team.

#7 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Phi Kessel is only 24 years old yet has already played six seasons in the NHL. Phil Kessel's point production in those six years has been 29, 367, and then 60 while playing with Boston. With Leafs he has had 55, 64 and 82 point seasons. This year was a career for Phil Kessel with 37 goals and 82 points and still one game to go. He will be 25 at the start of the next season. He has already scored 165 goals in the NHL with 327 points in the NHL but the best years are still to come. Kessel will be the first player to score 50 goals in a season at some point perhaps even next season, that is if the Leafs don't respond to stupid calls to move Kessel out.

Now Kessel is not the kind of player that can carry the team to greatness by himself but it is hard to imagine how the Leafs will ever become a contending team without a player like Kessel. Players with his skill level are far and few between. Burke managed to grab one and when you get an elite player you hang onto them and work hard to add complimentary players.

Moving Kessel would be a major setback for Leafs attempts to become a contending team.

Ok, numbers speak loud and clear. So, lets ask the question that should have been asked , that being, how bad a mistake did Boston make ? Then there's the first and foremost, how could a team give up what the leafs gave up knowing full well that they would have to " add complimentary players"? Kessel is now a leaf and Carlyle will teach him now, the short coming of Wilson called "defense".

#8 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Ok, numbers speak loud and clear. So, lets ask the question that should have been asked , that being, how bad a mistake did Boston make ? Then there's the first and foremost, how could a team give up what the leafs gave up knowing full well that they would have to " add complimentary players"? Kessel is now a leaf and Carlyle will teach him now, the short coming of Wilson called "defense".

A couple of followup points:

Kessel had made it clear he wanted out of Boston so Chiarelli had to move him. Getting draft picks for a player like Kessel is a bit of a crap shoot. At the time the deal was done it did not look like the pick would end up being 2nd overall so it worked out okay for Chiarelli as he got Seguin.

The deal has worked out for the Leafs as well as they have the premier scoring winger that they really need.

I would call that deal a win/win deal. Some would differ but at this stage I see it as a win/win. Kessel can easily become a 50 goal scorer and Seguin and Hamilton may well prove to be solid NHL players. If either things fail to happen it may change the historical perspective on the trade but as of today it is clearly a win/win and the deal was done three years ago.

#9 Guest_Shogun_*

Guest_Shogun_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

There actually are 2 funny videos about Leafs fans:

While I do agree that they and their expectations are part of the problem, you can't blame them for having high expectations after Burke has been praising the organisation left and right and promissed the fans a quick return into the playoffs. I'd be angry too if the GM of my team traded away Seguin and Hamiliton (basically) for Kessel. The latter IMO will be traded in the offseason. Maybe in a package with Schenn and some other assets to Columbus for Nash. But we'll see.

This point has been edited by Shogun: 07 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

#10 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

There actually is a funny video about Leafs fans:

While I do agree that they and their expectations are part of the problem, you can't blame them for having high expectations after Burke has been praising the organisation left and right and promissed the fans a quick return into the playoffs. I'd be angry too if the GM of my team traded away Seguin and Hamiliton (basically) for Kessel. The latter IMO will be traded in the offseason. Maybe in a package with Schenn and some other assets to Columbus for Nash. But we'll see.

Cool video. It made me laugh. It is a good indication of how zanny Leaf fans are that they go to all that work making a video about how frustrating it can be to be a Leaf fan.

If you didn't watch the video you should. It will both make Leaf fans laugh and cry at the same time.