Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kadri's continuing development is about to begin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Marlies’ playoff run next step in continuing education of Nazem Kadri

Dallas Eakins, the coach of the Toronto Marlies, was laughing a little at the level of the discourse in the centre of the hockey universe.

Players get typecast. Analysis is instant. Popular opinion is hard to dispel. So Nazem Kadri has played 51 NHL games at age 21, and a verdict has long been handed down.

“You’re a smart hockey person in Toronto if you can say, ‘Kadri’ and ‘turnover’ in the same sentence,” Eakins said recently in an interview.

Indeed, bar-room scouting reports aren’t detailed dossiers. But even the most encyclopedic bird dogs would acknowledge a certain beauty in brevity. Weaknesses are weaknesses, and certainly Kadri’s predilection for giveaways is one of his. It’s also one of the biggest reasons why the seventh-overall pick in the 2009 draft has spent the majority of his professional career as a minor leaguer.

So while there’s a nuanced discussion to be had about Kadri’s professional development, or lack thereof, turnovers are a good place to start. It was during a Marlies game just over a week ago, after all, that Eakins was benching Kadri for a matching pair of first-period cough-ups that gave the opposing team a couple of odd-man breaks.

“Naz has his habits,” Eakins said. “He has gotten much better at managing the puck. But he will, once in a while, fall back into his old, ‘Hey, I’m going to turn it over.’ It’s an ongoing learning process.”

Rest of Article

#2 OFFLINE   Selly

Selly

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,069 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

“Naz has his habits,” Eakins said. “He has gotten much better at managing the puck. But he will, once in a while, fall back into his old, ‘Hey, I’m going to turn it over.’ It’s an ongoing learning process.”

Hopefully, they can completely break him of this :yes:

#3 Guest_Shogun_*

Guest_Shogun_*

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Kadri is a good kid. I hope he finally has a breakthrough and becomes a 1st or 2nd liner in the NHL. Kid broke my heart on Draft day, when the reporters were only asking Burke if he was disappointed with the pick and even beforehand a team asked him to an interview beforehand and never bothered to pick him up in the Hotel Lobby...

#4 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Lets hope Kadri has a great playoff run with the Marlies. He is their best player right now and should be the dominate player for them in the playoffs.

However it appears that Burke has made it clear that he is going to make a serious attempt to land Rick Nash in a deal. It is hard to imagine how Burke could land Nash without Kadri going back in the deal.

#5 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

I do not like small players that cannot make up for it with elite hockey sense or speed.

Kadri sorely lacks in both.

#6 ONLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

I do not like small players that cannot make up for it with elite hockey sense or speed.

Kadri sorely lacks in both.

Ouch - thats brutal and frank. So I guess that means you don't think Kadri will or should make the leafs next year. Nice to know that you are not lining up with Cherry on this one.

#7 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Lets just say I have my reservations.

I still concede that Kadri can possibly make me eat my words. I haven't liked what I saw thus far, but I am not guaranteeing he'll be a bust 100%.

Not yet, anyway.

#8 ONLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Lets just say I have my reservations.

I still concede that Kadri can possibly make me eat my words. I haven't liked what I saw thus far, but I am not guaranteeing he'll be a bust 100%.

Not yet, anyway.

Fair enough. I share some doubt about Kadri as well but it is early in his career and he is young. He might be another Zach Boychuk can't miss prospect that appears to have failed. This years playoff run with the Marlies will go a long way to determining Kadri's future in the NHL with the Leafs or some other team.

We shall see. If Kadri fails so likely will the Marlies.