Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many games does Weber get?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,421 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Eh... I don't know... debatable on Q's behalf... ;) He wouldn't quit howling last night, kept me up all night long...

:lol: :party0033:

#82 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Weber also the first guy to use a WWE move!

I don't ever want hear someone say the NHL doesn't give certain teams and players a nudge when needed! This without a doubt the WORST unpunished action I've seen in 40+ years of watching hockey! GB actually said Zetterbergs head wasn't far enough away from the glass to cause any damage! Total crock of shit!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have to question just how much hockey you've watched over the last 40 years, if that's the case.

#83 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I completely agree with the "thicker skin" comment... I love hockey, the physical-ness, the fighting, and that's why I usually don't say much when it comes to suspension worthy material, and a lot of times I chalk it up to being a physical sport, and usually just shake my head when people go on a "Crucify him!" tangent... I'm usually the last to get the pitchfork and try to publicly lynch someone... But it's the course of action in which Weber took that's unacceptable, not the confrontation itself. I didn't even mind the first punch thrown, it happens all the time in the heat of the moment. But to grab someone's neck, and try to run them into the wall, signals intent to me. Regardless of injury or not, it shouldn't have a place in the game. By giving someone a $2,500 slap on the wrist, is basically to me saying your action was ok because you didn't hurt him, nor were you in a position to hurt him. (Wait, Bettman did say that).

I think people are so gung ho about it because we DO live in a suspension riddled NHL, and it baffles people when some people get suspended for one thing, but another doesn't simply because there was no injury involved...

I think the real difference between yours and mine perspectives on this infraction, was the force used. Yes I saw Weber push Zetterberg by the back of his neck, forcing him to make contact with the glass. But I wouldn't call that violently driving his head into the boards.

#84 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16
  • Position:Center

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think the real difference between yours and mine perspectives on this infraction, was the force used. Yes I saw Weber push Zetterberg by the back of his neck, forcing him to make contact with the glass. But I wouldn't call that violently driving his head into the boards.

There's really no argument on force used, it wasnt much at all, that we can agree on... I'm pointing out more the action itself, not the severity of it

#85 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

There's really no argument on force used, it wasnt much at all, that we can agree on... I'm pointing out more the action itself, not the severity of it

And yet you would prefer a suspension over a fine, keeping in mind how a suspension in this case could drastically affect the series?

I think a suspendable offense, especially in the playoffs, should weigh severity of the action. Especially on a first offense.

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

And yet you would prefer a suspension over a fine, keeping in mind how a suspension in this case could drastically affect the series?

I think a suspendable offense, especially in the playoffs, should weigh severity of the action. Especially on a first offense.

It would send a message, that's for sure... Agree to disagree :gap:

#87 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

It would send a message, that's for sure... Agree to disagree :gap:

Agreeing to disagree is never a problem. But often I like to try and understand why we are disagreeing.

Personally, I think the message was sent. Weber received his fine. He knows he'll be under the microscope the rest of the way. And the nice thing about it, is that the players can still decide this series without the NHL's real involvement.

#88 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Agreeing to disagree is never a problem. But often I like to try and understand why we are disagreeing.

Personally, I think the message was sent. Weber received his fine. He knows he'll be under the microscope the rest of the way. And the nice thing about it, is that the players can still decide this series without the NHL's real involvement.

I don't necessarily have a problem with fining in lieu of a suspension per se, just wish it could be more than what the CBA allows... Fining someone $2500 who makes $7m/yr, would be like my boss fining me 50 cents... I'd just shrug it off... Sure, it might deter Weber from being a repeat offender, but what if this becomes a common practice from other players/teams? Everyone gets one strike? I just find it too non chalant of a response by a league looking to crack down on head contact... Regardless of how the head contact occured, or the severity of said action

This point has been edited by tonyd316sdmf: 13 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

#89 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Let's pretend the CBA didn't cap league fines.

What do you think would have been a suitable figure for a guy making 7 mill a season?

#90 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

What do you think would have been a suitable figure for a guy making 7 mill a season?

Just use the current rules! 2 games like he should have received!

#91 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

But it was hard enough to break/crack Zetterberg helmet!

#92 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I believe he has been fined in the past!

#93 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,421 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

But it was hard enough to break/crack Zetterberg helmet!

Weber could have just as easily made it his face instead of the helmet.

#94 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,421 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I believe he has been fined in the past!

That article I posted this morning said he was a first offender.

The next time Weber does something like this, he will be considered a repeat offender and will be suspended. He was fined earlier this season, but that was for boarding, a different type of infraction. He has never been suspended in his seven-year NHL career.

#95 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I've never thought through an exact answer, but substantially more. I'm talking at least what one would make in a game, with the amount changing from player to player according to income perhaps? In Webers case if he makes $7m over an 82 game season, he gets hit with roughly a $85,365 fine (what he makes in one game). Given those numbers, over an 82 game season, in which he plays 20 shifts, at a minute each, he makes about $4268 a shift; fining him $2500 equals to about 40 seconds of one of Webers shifts... Hardly seems like much of a message sent to other players who might make around the same... It just says, since its the playoffs, and I'm a star, I'm obviously allowed one freebie

#96 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

I've never thought through an exact answer, but substantially more. I'm talking at least what one would make in a game, with the amount changing from player to player according to income perhaps? In Webers case if he makes $7m over an 82 game season, he gets hit with roughly a $85,365 fine (what he makes in one game). Given those numbers, over an 82 game season, in which he plays 20 shifts, at a minute each, he makes about $4268 a shift; fining him $2500 equals to about 40 seconds of one of Webers shifts... Hardly seems like much of a message sent to other players who might make around the same... It just says, since its the playoffs, and I'm a star, I'm obviously allowed one freebie

I don't care how much money Shea Weber makes,... think about it for a second.... $85 grand for that?

You could kiss physicality goodbye.

This sport would be ruined if the NHL handed out $85,000 fines for something like that.

#97 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

I don't care how much money Shea Weber makes,... think about it for a second.... $85 grand for that?

You could kiss physicality goodbye.

This sport would be ruined if the NHL handed out $85,000 fines for something like that.

Don't you lose pay while suspended? What's the difference then? Maybe its a tad harsh, but I don't think it would kiss physicality goodbye... Suspensions have been trending upward the last two seasons, but I don't see it detering people much...

#98 OFFLINE   Red_Wings_49

Red_Wings_49

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:49
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Posted Image

#99 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,694 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Don't you lose pay while suspended? What's the difference then? Maybe its a tad harsh, but I don't think it would kiss physicality goodbye... Suspensions have been trending upward the last two seasons, but I don't see it detering people much...

You don't lose pay when you are suspended in the playoffs, no.

#100 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I would have preferred a 1-game suspension here, but my bigger beef is with the current cap of $2500 for fines.

I don't think I'd go as far as Tony suggests and make it the equivalent of a game's salary. My suggestion is to make a sliding scale for the maximum fine. For players that make under $1M, the 2500 is fine. But then the guys who make 1-2 M per year, their max fine is higher. And it goes up again if you make 3-4M, etc. The point being that for a guy that make 7M/yeaer, 2500 is nothing. Make it something that is going to be more noticeable to the player.