Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rich Dudley's thinks Leafs will be an elite team

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Finding the Forest in the Trees

Declan Kerin

Squeak into the playoffs this year or keep building towards a cup? I’ll take build towards a cup, please and thank you. And they’re closer than you think.

Rick Dudley is widely considered the best judge of talent in hockey.

He’s certainly able to provide a balanced view after building championship teams twice this decade, with two different clubs (Tampa Bay, 2004 – Chicago, 2009). Here’s his take on the Leafs, after less than one year on the job.

[Audio]:
Note at 4:47, when Jeff Blair snickers at Rick Dudley saying “I am sure they will succeed here and I think there are enough pieces in place, that it is not a daunting task.”

rest of article

The Rick Dudley interview is very insightful about how he sees the Leafs well on their way to becoming an elite team in the NHL.

#2 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,567 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

How many GMs in the league have acquired an 82 point forward, a point per game forward, a 40 point defender and a 30 point rookie defender all via trade in the past 3 to 4 seasons?

#3 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I am a big Burke fan and he has done an amazing job. all the flack he is getting these days is misguided. Just look at where the Marlies are. Look at the depth. This team can only get better as some of this youth matures.

Dale Tallon has done a pretty good job.

He brought in Campbell in a lop sided trade similar to the Phaneuf deal and Campbell responded with a 53 point season.

He brought in Fleischmann and Versteeg not quite a pt per game guys but close.

Like Burke he has done an incredible job at stocking the cupboard with quality prospects as well.

#4 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,567 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Tallon brought his team to the playoffs, so some credit is earned. But he did so by overpaying B talent. Now Florida has a great pipeline of prospects right now, so that might have been the right move. But it remains to be seen if their resurgence is sustainable.

#5 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

How many GMs in the league have acquired an 82 point forward, a point per game forward, a 40 point defender and a 30 point rookie defender all via trade in the past 3 to 4 seasons?

To play in this league it takes a certain type of player. The problem being foremost is the time which has gone by under the present "watch". Now a player may be acceptable in Chi. but not in Tor. Could be the other way, who knows! This is not uncommon. This may sound funny but , because of the time past, Burkes crew has to find the players on the present roster who can't make another team in the league and move them out , somehow. Foremost, it will leave the team dealing with or in the same calibre player without anybody thinking their getting ripped off. I don't like Burke (to-day) be-cause he comes across as a "bandit". He does not win every deal. Look at them and compare. But, to-day this team is what it is. There is some position spots to strengthen. Theres time and ways to work on this now .

#6 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,567 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Nobody wins every deal. The Wings didn't win when they put Quincy on waivers only later to use a 1st rounder to get him back. But Burke has done wonders in the toughest area to find talent... through trades.

#7 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Nobody wins every deal. The Wings didn't win when they put Quincy on waivers only later to use a 1st rounder to get him back. But Burke has done wonders in the toughest area to find talent... through trades.

That's a big point, every deal doesn't work out, not even close. That goes for every team! In the end I do think Burke has done well more often then not with the Leafs, but you'll never win them all.

#8 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

He sure has

Additions through trades:
Dion Phaneuf & Keith Aulie for Stajan, White, Mayer & Hagman (clear win for Leafs)
Phil Kessel for picks (Seguin, Hamilton & Knight)(Some dispute and difference of opinion who won this one)
Joffrey Lupul & Jake Gardiner for Beauchemin (Clear Win)
J.M. Liles & Joe Colborne for Kaberle (Clear win)
Mike Brown for a 5th round pick (good deal)
Cody Franson & Matthew Lombardi for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney (Big win)
Nicolas Dechamps for Luca Caputi (previously acquired for Ponikarovsky) (Jury is still out but Deschamps playing very well for Marlies)
David Steckel for a 4th round pick
Ryan Hamilton for Robbie Earl (Hamilton is Marlie Captain and top scorer while Earl is off playing in Austria)
Mark Fraser for Dale Mitchell (Fraser is a solid D for the Marlies while Mitchell is struggling with the Crunch)
Matt Lashoff for Alex Berry & Stefano Giliati Both of whom appear to have faded into oblivion)
Carter Ashton for Keith Aulie (jury still out on this deal)

On a quick review it sure seems to me that Burke did well on the overwhelming majority of these deals. It is anticipated that Burke will be doing more deals this off season. If he is able to maintain his track record those coming deals will clearly improve the team.

This point has been edited by kbooks: 12 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

#9 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

He sure has

Additions through trades:
Dion Phaneuf & Keith Aulie for Stajan, White, Mayer & Hagman (clear win for Leafs)
Phil Kessel for picks (Seguin, Hamilton & Knight)(Some dispute and difference of opinion who won this one)
Joffrey Lupul & Jake Gardiner for Beauchemin (Clear Win)
J.M. Liles & Joe Colborne for Kaberle (Clear win)
Mike Brown for a 5th round pick (good deal)
Cody Franson & Matthew Lombardi for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney (Big win)
Nicolas Dechamps for Luca Caputi (previously acquired for Ponikarovsky) (Jury is still out but Deschamps playing very well for Marlies)
David Steckel for a 4th round pick
Ryan Hamilton for Robbie Earl (Hamilton is Marlie Captain and top scorer while Earl is off playing in Austria)
Mark Fraser for Dale Mitchell (Fraser is a solid D for the Marlies while Mitchell is struggling with the Crunch)
Matt Lashoff for Alex Berry & Stefano Giliati Both of whom appear to have faded into oblivion)
Carter Ashton for Keith Aulie (jury still out on this deal)

On a quick review it sure seems to me that Burke did well on the overwhelming majority of these deals. It is anticipated that Burke will be doing more deals this off season. If he is able to maintain his track record those coming deals will clearly improve the team.

It would be childish to say "wait and see" but , "wait and see" !

#10 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,082 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think we have to expect the trading grounds will be a lot different now. As LS pointed out the only way Burke was able to fleece Calgary and Anaheim was by taking on cap and troublesome contracts. Now, the Leafs don't have the luxury of doing this anymore and in some ways need to shed cap so we have to see it paid in the opposite way.

I think Burke will make moves but I expect them to be more expensive than we are accustomed to.

#11 OFFLINE   kbooks

kbooks

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think we have to expect the trading grounds will be a lot different now. As LS pointed out the only way Burke was able to fleece Calgary and Anaheim was by taking on cap and troublesome contracts. Now, the Leafs don't have the luxury of doing this anymore and in some ways need to shed cap so we have to see it paid in the opposite way.

I think Burke will make moves but I expect them to be more expensive than we are accustomed to.

Could be the case but I am not sure. I expect we see Burke doing package deals where more assets go out then come back. Apparently Winnipeg was interested in Colby Armstrong at the trade deadline. If that is still the case I can see Armstrong being moved for a draft pick. Lombardi could also get moved for a pick. Burke needs to free up a few roster spots so a package deal of a couple of decent prospects might get a Brendan Morrow. If Burke does go after Nash, which I doubt that will also require some cap and prospects going to Columbus. Tim Connolly has a modified NTC and his market value is very low so chances of him moving are very slim. Komisarek is in the same boat so I expect both to be back. Cody Franson is and RFA so it is quite possible he gets dangled in trade offers.

The one thing we can count on is there will be action this off season. The team that is on the ice for the season opener will have a number of new faces for sure.

#12 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,567 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I also don't think the team would think twice before demoting guys like Armstrong or perhaps Lombardi to the Marlies if they aren't performing to expectations. Komisarek and Connolly would pose a problem though.

#13 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,082 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Could be the case but I am not sure. I expect we see Burke doing package deals where more assets go out then come back. Apparently Winnipeg was interested in Colby Armstrong at the trade deadline. If that is still the case I can see Armstrong being moved for a draft pick. Lombardi could also get moved for a pick. Burke needs to free up a few roster spots so a package deal of a couple of decent prospects might get a Brendan Morrow. If Burke does go after Nash, which I doubt that will also require some cap and prospects going to Columbus. Tim Connolly has a modified NTC and his market value is very low so chances of him moving are very slim. Komisarek is in the same boat so I expect both to be back. Cody Franson is and RFA so it is quite possible he gets dangled in trade offers.

The one thing we can count on is there will be action this off season. The team that is on the ice for the season opener will have a number of new faces for sure.

I doubt Winnipeg still has any interest in Armstrong at this moment. They probably wanted him for the stretch run but I would welcome it. However though I think Armstrong is far less an issue than Lombardi and Komisarek. Armstrong has the injury excuse. Lombardi and Komi not so much. I think Waivers will be the answer to those players if they want to eat salary in the minors.

#14 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,567 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I doubt Winnipeg still has any interest in Armstrong at this moment. They probably wanted him for the stretch run but I would welcome it. However though I think Armstrong is far less an issue than Lombardi and Komisarek. Armstrong has the injury excuse. Lombardi and Komi not so much. I think Waivers will be the answer to those players if they want to eat salary in the minors.

I definitely think Lombardi has a good injury excuse. Not sure that he will ever be the same again, but I wouldn't be so quick to rule him out just yet.

It also helps that he happens to be the only one of the three mentioned, that knows how to skate.