Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another Gusher at the Draft Lottery for the Oilers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pharling

pharling

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 195 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

What should they do?
It’s almost an embarrassment of riches these days for the Edmonton Oilers, but now the trick will be what to do with the pieces they have to ensure it translates onto the ice for next season.
Edmonton has three future perennial all-stars on their top line already with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle and a large group of young forwards and solid veterans behind them to fill out a pretty strong forward corps.
The problem lies with the defence and goaltending of the young Oilers. They have pieces in place, but nothing concrete, and nothing that makes them a playoff team instantly at those positions. They need an influx of young talent at the back end to make sure they’re not fighting for top spot in the lottery for a fourth consecutive year.

Read more here: http://www.fantasyho...-for-the-Oilers

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

It will be embarrassing if they keep finding ways to lose, that's true.

#3 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ugh.

4. The Toronto Maple Leafs looking to make a splash, offer up the fifth overall draft pick, Luke Schenn and a young goaltender such as Mark Owuya to the Oilers for the first overall draft pick, which is used on Yakupov.

Schenn and a projected back-up? Thanks, but no thanks. I can think of a several young defensemen I'd rather have.

JR

#4 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I still say they will take Yakupov and try to trade the likes of Gagner, Paajarvi, Omark and/or Lander to get a top, young defenseman.

#5 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Ugh.

Schenn and a projected back-up? Thanks, but no thanks. I can think of a several young defensemen I'd rather have.

JR

And this one:

The Isles give up the fifth overall pick, which is used on either Ryan Murray or Matt Dumba, forward

Kyle Okposo

, who’s been lost in the shuffle in Long Island and goaltender prospect

Kevin Poulin,

who has been waiting patiently for his starting job at the big squad.

Sorry, not nearly enough. Actually, the one I like best is the Canucks - getting Schneider and Edler would be great, but I doubt it happens.

#6 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,156 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

What about Subban? Would you trade the pick for that guy and something more?

#7 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

What about Subban? Would you trade the pick for that guy and something more?

I like a lot of things about Subban, but I think he provides distractions that we don't need.

#8 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I still say they will take Yakupov and try to trade the likes of Gagner, Paajarvi, Omark and/or Lander to get a top, young defenseman.

Yeah, I think that's probably the way to go if you want to trade for a defenseman.

Omark - The org. seems to have zero interest in having him around. I think he's a player, and the Oilers will figure it out when he puts up points for another team.
PRV - Seems more likely to have a career as a defense-first winger who can chip, more than I think he'll be a real producer. The lack of offense, particularly in Oklahoma is a bit worrying, Even if his SH% won't stay at 2.5%, and is more likely to be in the 9-12% range, he just doesn't shoot the puck much or get it into scoring range. The puck generally moves in the right direction, but not into position.
Gagner - He puts up some points, and they're not exactly loaded at centre. It's tough to get rid of him, with 2 of the other centres having careers which will be over in a couple of years.
Lander - I wish he'd played the year in Oklahoma, so we could see what he could do when thrown completely into the deep end. This will be the year to see, because after 21, most guys don't magically begin producing points when they didn't before. Same goes for 91.

Gotta be honest... It's tough to see another team ponying up a top-pairing guy for that, unless there are really huge Paajarvi backers out there.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 12 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

#9 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I could only hope the Habs are dumb enough to see who else they can run off the team, and ship Subban. I wouldn't deal Yakupov straight for him, but I can deal with some distractions. I'm sure the Habs had a bad record despite their good young defenseman, not because of him. I completely get where you're going, Craig, but guys like that can still be a part of a strong young team.

JR

#10 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Am I the only one who thinks none of those trades are even close to getting the #1 overall pick? Let alone if it makes sense or not for the Oilers in the parts they get back. This writers needs to try again, but this time be serious. Kevin fucking Poulin... LOL?

#11 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Am I the only one who thinks none of those trades are even close to getting the #1 overall pick? Let alone if it makes sense or not for the Oilers in the parts they get back. This writers needs to try again, but this time be serious. Kevin fucking Poulin... LOL?

No, you're not the only one. We're not looking at a generational talent, but it's still the consensus #1 we're talking about. It would take more than what he's talking about.

JR

#12 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,695 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I think the trade scenarios had a chance of being reasonable, if Edmonton didn't win the lottery. But now that they have, they have to take Yakupov and keep him, while using others to address their needs.

Omark has soured on the club and thinks he's entitled to a top 6 position. So he's gone but will not gain you market value.

Paajarvi's coming off a poor season, which while likely keep him in Edmonton... unless Tambellini prefers selling low.

There was talk about moving out Gagner before the lottery, so someone out there must believe the team has enough to fill in in his absence.

I've even heard a good argument supporting the unfathomable idea of trading Jordan Eberle for something really good in return.

All in all, I don't envision Edmonton's blue line as a waste land by any means. I was quite impressed with Petry this past season, Whitney is a healthy season away from earning big minutes, and Smid is a great piece as well. Nick Schultz is another.

I worry more about banking on the current netminding, despite the progress Dubnyk has shown. It's very much the same situation as the Leafs.

#13 OFFLINE   pharling

pharling

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 195 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

I see many of these scenarios as plausible. But as the article states, they are "could be starting points for the Oilers and their trade partners if a deal was to be made"

I also believe that Yakupov is a quality player you simply cant pass up on.

Again the article also suggests the most probable trade does not involve Yakupov...
"10. The least sexy trade of all, but maybe the most realistic and most helpful for the Oilers. Edmonton trades young winger Magnus Paajarvi to the Phoenix Coyotes for young defenseman Brandon Gormley."

I also agree with LS, when he says the Oilers greatest weakness is not the defence, Whitney, Schultz, Peckham, Petry constitute a solid top 4. Add Smid and Potter to complete your top six and it's not bad. Add youngsters Klefboom, Marincin, Musil, and Teubert and it becomes obvious that Dubnyk and ???? is a little lacking.

Simply my personal opinion, but I would assume the Oilers draft Yakupov, and trade Omark. (for whatever they can get)

Perhaps the answer in goal is Josh Harding, or maybe trade MPS or Gagne for something with a little more long term future.

A fun read, these kind of thought and conversation provoking opinions are what I like.
Well done.

#14 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

See, and I still think Dubnyk can be the guy. He's improving and becoming more consistent every year. And he's freaking huge, which is a big plus as a goaltender. I wish was over 6' when I played goal, those extra few inches really make a difference in how much goal you cover, but at 6'5", that difference goes to a whole new level. But if I could get a Holtby or Schneider, I'd certainly pull the trigger if it didn't mortgage a big chunk of the young guys.

#15 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

See, and I still think Dubnyk can be the guy. He's improving and becoming more consistent every year. And he's freaking huge, which is a big plus as a goaltender. I wish was over 6' when I played goal, those extra few inches really make a difference in how much goal you cover, but at 6'5", that difference goes to a whole new level. But if I could get a Holtby or Schneider, I'd certainly pull the trigger if it didn't mortgage a big chunk of the young guys.

Agreed.

This is two years in a row where Dubnyk has clearly outplayed Khabibulin, provided a solid SV%, and took Nik's job.

Oilers Goaltenders Win/Loss
Kabibulin, 12-27, .308 W%
Dubnyk, 20-23, .465

Huge difference. The team lost 2/3 of its games when Dubnyk was on the bench, and won close to half when he was out there. I would never ignore a chance to improve the position, but for the second year in a row, it's not exactly like he held them back.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 12 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

#16 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,695 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm not discounting that he could be the guy. I just can't guarantee it.

Once goaltending can be guaranteed, teams begin to rise out from the basement.