Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Should the Stars consider changing team colors?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

As he often is, Daryl Reaugh was way ahead of the curve on this.

When the Stars analyst came up with a theory that the Stars should consider a change of team colors all the way back in September (Read his proposal and see his uniforms here), I was a bit shocked and a bit dismissive. I mean, c'mon, teams don't change colors just like that. Plus, Stars fans have been begging for more green, so it seems a significant change could be made to the current unifoms by staying in the same color palette for this team, right?

But with news from team president Jim Lites yesterday that the new management team will look at every possible option for change, is this the perfect time to consider a complete makeover in look?

If you look at the history of hockey, massive changes in uniform color are not that unusual. The Kings went from purple and gold to black and silver and now tout a mix of black, silver and purple with a few throwbacks of purple and gold. The Penguins went from baby blue to black and gold, and now use both uniforms for different occasions. The Ducks went from teal and purple to black, gold and orange. The Sabres went from blue and gold to black, red and silver...and then went back.

And what probably planted the seeds of this entry a couple of months back is a huge portrait in the Vancouver Canucks pressbox that shows all five uniform looks for the history of that franchise _ from blue, green and white, to black, yellow and orange (in two very different looks), to navy, silver and red, and finally back to blue, green and white.

Ironically, when you talk to fans up there, they love that the uniform has changed that much, because it allows them to look back at different eras fondly.

The great thing about the new NHL is that the Stars really could wear red, white and blue (as Razor suggests) as their ``new'' colors and then bring out the old green and gold whenever they want for special events.

So, would you be on board with a color change or do you feel the team needs to stay in the current color scheme, but just come up with a new look?

Lites said the team is heavily considering more fan interaction in important decisions, so he will likely be swayed by any feedback he receives. It will be very interesting to see just how far the team wants to go with the ``new'' Stars.

#2 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Here is Razors Blog entry with proposed pictures.

THE REBRANDING WILL BE IN COLOR

New ownership is on the horizon for the Stars.

Sure, sometimes that horizon seems so distant you could watch your dog run away for 3 days against it, but it is there.

With new ownership will come changes - changes for the good we all trust, and changes that maybe should include the very colors the franchise flies.

Posted Image

Nothing rebrands with more impact than color.

When the NHL returned following the work-stoppage in 2004-2005 they not only changed the game's rules, they changed their own logo. The league's shield was altered from a descending "NHL" to an ascending acronym. (My former coach, the late great Bill LaForge initiated a similar change to the old Canucks logo - maybe his best contribution to that organization during his 24 game tenure) And while they were at it during the hockey hiatus the NHL also ditched the orange in it's logo. Presto! Fresh start.

Remember when Mark Cuban bought the Mavericks back in 2000, what was one of the first things he did? That's right, he re-imagined the Mavs colors and logo. He rebranded.

In Tampa, under the leadership and new ownership of Jeff Vinik, they're altering the Bolts colors (and their logo). Rebrand.

Another area of consideration, or debate, is that of a city's 'colors'.

I'm not sure where I fall on this topic. I can appreciate a city like Pittsburgh where the Pens, Pirates and Steelers all share the Black and Gold just as I can Philly where the Flyers are orange, the Phillies are red, the Sixers are red-white-blue, and the Eagles are green.

So what is Dallas' 'color'?

Well blue seems to be a pretty strong thread. And the flag of Texas would seem to provide a red and a white that complement the blue well. Which reminds me of a pretty amusing observation from Boston Globe’s Pete Abraham who wrote: “I count 27 Texas flags at Rangers Ballpark and two U.S. flags. Think they're trying to tell us something"

It's a powerful combination. Vibrant. American. Texan.

Red is THE power color.

Red, white and blue are easy colors to wear and thus easy colors to sell.

The trio are the color of the sport - just look at the lines on the ice.

And back in the late 90s weren't we called "Montreal South". Maybe bleu, blanc and rouge is meant to be?

I know what some of you are thinking, or saying, or yelling. "Razor, you ______. Green, gold and black are our colors. They're our tradition." You're right, they came to Texas with the franchise, but with the advent of 3rd jerseys (or in the case of some college football programs, 11-teen jerseys) I believe there's the ability to revisit and revel in the former colors - from time to time - while still hitting the refresh button on the franchise in the grander scheme.

Below are some mock-ups of how our Stars uniforms would pop in the new colors. (Thanks to 'Rocketfuel' for the art)

Tweet me your impressions (No, not Nixon and Nicholson impressions, clowns) @Razor5Hole

Rebrando, amigos!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

No sir, I don't like them. We are not the friggin Rangers and the Stars need to keep their own identity.

I'm all for going back to the front logo in the mock-ups, but am not a fan of the colors at all, except possibly the red one as a 3rd.

#4 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I guess this part about Lites is what makes this actually possible...

"But with news from team president Jim Lites yesterday that the new management team will look at every possible option for change, is this the perfect time to consider a complete makeover in look?"

"So, would you be on board with a color change or do you feel the team needs to stay in the current color scheme, but just come up with a new look?"

#5 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Center

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Welcome to last season. I'm glad you could join us.

Those jerseys were awful when he proposed them and they're still awful.

#6 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Welcome to last season. I'm glad you could join us.

Those jerseys were awful when he proposed them and they're still awful.

IQTB

(Only posted it because Heika referenced it in the article.)

#7 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:2
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Oh god. The novelty will wear off, and you will miss having a unique color scheme sooner rather than later. They just shouldn't do that. Change for the sake of change is fucking dumb.

#8 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

New managment... you never know. I wouldn't be shocked to finally see some change.

I think the happy median is a green jersey no...?

#9 OFFLINE   blackoutdallas

blackoutdallas

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

They need to change unis for sure. But not color schemes.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

No... Hell no... Fuck no... Like Tamby said, its too much like the Rangers.

I've always wondered, since teams like the Kings wear their throwback Purples occasionally, why don't the Stars throw on the North Stars green as an alternative? Green pants, socks, and all...

#11 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Probably because the entire state of minnesota would rage.

#12 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

While were at it, let's change the team name and move the franchise. I think Frisco Lone Stars sounds great, dont you?

#13 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,430 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

No sir, I don't like them. We are not the friggin Rangers and the Stars need to keep their own identity.

I'm all for going back to the front logo in the mock-ups, but am not a fan of the colors at all, except possibly the red one as a 3rd.

That's what's happened here with the sports teams. They all went red-ish and white like the Cardinals football. The Suns basketball team is the only one that still has it's own colors. LAME!

#14 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Posted Image

WTB Teal Seals Jerseys

#15 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,165 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

How do you guys feel about pink?

#16 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Gotta love those white skates

Posted Image

#17 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

^ white paint. I remeber hearing something that it made the skates ridiculously heavy.

#18 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

I see our captain has abandoned ship.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Probably because the entire state of minnesota would rage.

So? They hate us anyways... Since when do we give a shit what they think?

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

I see our captain has abandoned ship.

Nope! Still here! :gap: