Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lubomir Visnovsky: Islander?

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

From Lighthouse Hockey:

Lubomir Visnovsky has been traded a time or two. In 2010 while on a five-year deal he signed with the Edmonton Oilers, he did not elect his no-trade clause to block a trade back to southern California and the Anaheim Ducks. (He'd previously starred for the Los Angeles Kings).Often in those cases the contract remains but the no-trade protection disappears, for whatever reason. We'll see if that's the case here, because multiple reports have Visnovsky filing a grievance with the NHLPA to have his recent trade to the New York Islanders voided.... According to Newsday's Arthur Staple, the grievance will go to arbitration and the Isles obviously "aren't happy." According to reports out of Slovakia and Sweden, Visnovsky and his agent Neil Sheehy don't know if they'll win or not -- but they said the facts are unclear enough that they thought they'd try....

For Visnovsky, it's also a guy protecting his interests and trying to remain in southern California where he's spent 10 of his 11 seasons. (Still...maybe do this when the trade is consummated, rather than a month later, buddy?) Based on previous trades somehow erasing no-trade clauses -- something that doesn't sound fair, but it's how these have apparently gone -- I don't rate Visnovsky's chances of winning very highly. But I also don't recall another player challenging this murky (and frankly strange) area of the CBA or shadow CBA through arbitration.

If he loses, he can enter the Evgeni Nabokov "This Isn't So Bad, In Fact I Kind of Like It Here" program. The burning question for the Islanders isn't the annoying PR hit this entails; it's what happens on the blueline if Visnovsky suddenly isn't on it in 2011-12....

UNbelievable.
Seriously.
I cannot believe he is doing this- but even more importantly, why the fuck is he doing it NOW and not back at the goddamn draft last month? Why does he wait til NOW when so many defensemen are already signed by other teams? If you think youre too good to play for the Islanders and our money isnt good enough for you, do you have to fuck the team over so that they have no chance at seeing whether someone else comparable might have been willing to take our money?

And WTF, the Ducks dont understand their own contracts? If he has a NTC shouldnt they, I dont know, KNOW ABOUT IT???? If he wins this, the Isles will be far below the cap floor and at this point I do not know WTF they will be able to do about it. I am so angry and so disappointed in this guy I cannot even tell you.

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 23 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16
  • Position:Center

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

This is the Nabokov fiasco all over again, eh? Does no one want to play with the Islanders?!

#3 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I WISH it wound up like the Nabokov situation... all things considered that worked out great.
But this has the possibility of being far more of a problem.
Lubo is not only desperately needed, but his contract is being counted on to get the Isles over the cap floor.
The Isles can be fined millions and lose draft picks if they are below the cap floor- so if this stupid grievance works out for him then the Isles are going to have to give so many millions to literally anybody just to get there... and they will no longer have a viable top 4 D.

I am so pissed off.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Don't blame you. I'd be pissed too. Any jokes aside, just wondering why everyone has to pitch a fit at the thought of having to go the NYI

#5 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,417 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Holy fuck do the Islanders have the worst luck. :dontgetit:

#6 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Can't really blame a guy for exercising his right. If he has invested interests in SoCal and has been advised that he might have a case in using his NTC, then w/e. The time in which it took is probably because of delayed communication on top of case assessment.

I wonder who would be more pissed off. NYI for Lubo not wanting to go there, or the Ducks if Lubo went back there.

#7 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

This is the Nabokov fiasco all over again, eh? Does no one want to play with the Islanders?!

Would you?

#8 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

xcal, WTF is the point of cracks like that? I mean, Id just like to understand WTF you feel the Isles done that you think a move like this is somehow justified? FTY, the Isles money is just as green as anyone elses. And for the record, the Isles have far better players than Lubo who are VERY happy to play there.

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 23 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

#9 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Can't really blame a guy for exercising his right. If he has invested interests in SoCal and has been advised that he might have a case in using his NTC, then w/e. The time in which it took is probably because of delayed communication on top of case assessment.

I wonder who would be more pissed off. NYI for Lubo not wanting to go there, or the Ducks if Lubo went back there.

Seems about even to me.

I dont think this is about "his right". If this was all about his right, he could have said something back on draft day. He not only did not do that, but he apparently LIED to Arthur Staple when he asked him whether there was any problem with him being traded to the Islanders. In case anyone doesnt remember that- {link}.

Why did you have to LIE to us, Lubo? Why? Literally come out and fucking LIE to us? :pinch:

And why the hell is he saying something NOW, a month later? Why didnt he fight this way back when it happened, so that the Isles could have been prepared to offer someone ELSE that money on July 1st? This isnt all about his "right" this is about being a DICK to a team when all they have done to you is want to make you part of their family and pay you millions of dollars to play a game you love. The NERVE of those Islanders.:rolleyes:

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 23 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

#10 OFFLINE   dadevilscoyotes22

dadevilscoyotes22

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Well I just lost respect for this kid.

#11 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,417 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

WTF is the point of cracks like that? I mean, Id just like to know WTF the Isles done that you think a move like this is justified? FTY, the Isles money is just as green as anywhere else. And for the record, the Isles have better players than Lubo who are VERY happy to play there.

Chris... :friends: Deep breaths.

#12 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Well if he really does have a NTC (which is what the grievance will decide), then yes, it is his right to block the trade.

#13 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

WTF is the point of cracks like that? I mean, Id just like to know WTF the Isles done that you think a move like this is justified? FTY, the Isles money is just as green as anywhere else. And for the record, the Isles have better players than Lubo who are VERY happy to play there.

No "crack" intended. That was a legitimate point. Look I realize you're a fan, but that franchise is an utter catastrophe right now from the ownership right on down. It's poorly run, they play in a dump, spend no money despite being in a massive market, they change coaches more often than the average person changes their underwear, and haven't been competitive in three decades.

Why would ANYONE want to play/coach/manage for the Islanders right now?

This point has been edited by Xcal97: 23 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

#14 OFFLINE   Douglas

Douglas

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Thats kinda what I was thinking. It doesnt sound like "OMG! Not the Islanders!!!!11!", but sounds like he is deeply vested in the SoCal area and being traded to the total opposite side of the country would affect that. He probably thought his NTC was still valid and spent the last few weeks having his attorney/agent checking into what happened. So I dont see this as another Nabokov, but something different. He probably didnt realize that once it was waived, it was no longer part of the contract.

#15 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

No "crack" intended. That was a legitimate point. Look I realize you're a fan, but that franchise is an utter catastrophe right now from the ownership right on down. It's poorly run, they play in a dump, spend no money despite being in a massive market, they change coaches more often than the average person changes their underwear, and haven't been competitive in three decades.

No they are NOT legitimate points.

It's poorly run? No they arent. This team has not been poorly run since Garth Snow became GM.

they play in a dump? Yup. They dont OWN the fucking dump and they were blocked from completely rebuilding it, so what are they supposed to DO about it?

spend no money despite being in a massive market? They spend within the 16m that every other team spends- only they do not get a thin dime of the millions in revenue sharing that so many other teams get.

they change coaches more often than the average person changes their underwear? I call bullshit on that. You THINK you know what youre saying here, but youre actually wrong. Go look up NHL coach tenures and see where the Isles coach fits. Its not where you think it is.

and haven't been competitive in three decades? HAH. Three decades ago they were slap dab in the middle of winning more playoff series in a row than any other team in the entire history of the fucking NHL. Say "nearly two decades" and youd have a point- say "three decades" and you are 100% completely dead wrong.

#16 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Truth hurts, I can see! But if you think you are somehow right on what you said, try and back it up. You will not be able to, but by all means I invite you to try.

#17 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

HFor the record, here are all Staples Tweets regarding Lubo:

1hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday No arbitration date has been set for Visnovsky. If he wins, the trade would be voided; he could still go to #Isles, but back to square one.

1hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Sheehy: "It's not about Lubo saying he doesn't want to go to the #Isles. He likes what they say. This is about establishing what's right."

1hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Neil Sheehy, Visnovsky's agent: "This isn't an issue with the #Isles. It's a matter for the NHLPA/NHL to decide. He has a no-trade clause."

3hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday No official comment yet from #Isles, but they aren't happy. Another NHL vet who doesn't want to be on LI, it appears.

3hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Visnovsky had NTC on deal with EDM and did not invoke when dealt to Ducks in '10. He may be too late to invoke now. Arbitrator will decide.

3hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday #Ducks will oppose in arbitration, no date set. If Visnovsky wins, he's Ducks property again: if ANA wins, trade to #Isles stands.

3hPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid.

24 JunPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Visnovsky says Slovak website interview was from before the trade. Was asked if he'd stay in Slovakia or go to KHL if there was a lockout.

24 JunPosted Image Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday Just got off the phone w/ D Lubomir Visnovsky. Ready to come to camp and play. "This is my first choice, to play for the Islanders."

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 23 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

#18 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

It's not about Lubo saying he doesn't want to go to the #Isles. He likes what they say. This is about establishing what's right.

He likes what they say and he's not saying he doesn't want to go there... he just wants to use his NTC and not go. Nice attempt at spinning the situation. :rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

He likes what they say and he's not saying he doesn't want to go there... he just wants to use his NTC and not go. Nice attempt at spinning the situation. :rolleyes:

COMPLETE spin job.
And why didnt he do this in the first place? Why frickin blatantly LIE to us after we read his stupid interview about how he might not play for us? "This is my first choice, to play for the Islanders" my ass. I would have appreciated hearing NOTHING than being lied to. At least the Isles could have developed a contingency plan.

#20 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,143 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'll back you on this one, because I know the Oilers are have gone and are still going through the same thing. Islanders fans can fool themselves all they want, but the fact still remains some of your points do factor into the conversation of if players want to play with a team or not.

I've seen it myself with Edmonton's own club, more then I ever want to admit. All Oiler fans and Islander fans have to hold onto is that there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but until then it's just a reality that the two markets just aren't that attractive as they stand right now. Nevevr mind where the clubs where 5 years ago, as you said, who would want to play for either or? If your honest with yourself, the answer is not very many ......... maybe no one.

Thems the breaks sometimes.