Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Puck The Lockout

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

I just started up a new blog to rant about the CBA negotiations. Would appreciate some love!

http://puckthelockout.wordpress.com/

#2 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80
  • Position:Center

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I just started up a new blog to rant about the CBA negotiations. Would appreciate some love!

http://puckthelockout.wordpress.com/

You can't make comments on it! Add a comments section!

#3 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,297 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Odd take on things, but I love ya just the same!

#4 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Center

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

You can't make comments on it! Add a comments section!

Please, for the love of God, do not add a comments section.

#5 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Please, for the love of God, do not add a comments section.

Heh.

There's actually a "leave a comment" option at the bottom.

#6 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Some recent updates.

Including this recent personal story

https://puckthelocko...y-strikes-home/

This point has been edited by Imber: 18 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

#7 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Both Sides 'Staal'ing

Well, I’m glad the NHL and NHLPA are so urgently trying to get a deal done.

Yesterday it was announced that no formal talks are scheduled at all this week between the two sides, a concept that is pretty familiar throughout this ongoing debate.

After all, part of the reason why we’re at this point is because these two parties took their sweet time starting negotiations in the first place. Then we saw massive delays in proposals and counter proposals. Eventually, before anyone really knew what happened, we were locked out again.

It’s almost as if they don’t care.

http://puckthelockou...sides-staaling/

#8 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

NFL Ref Situation Embarrassing, Better Than NHL's Lockout

As Russell Wilson’s final toss of the night landed mostly in M.D. Jennings’ arms, yet ruled a touchdown and a last second win for the Seattle Seahawks, mass hysteria broke out all over the world. Social media went loopy, broadcasters were befuddled, and countless games of fantasy football were wrongfully decided.

For the night, the NFL was an absolute laughing stock, as most people described the ruling as, “the worst call in NFL history.”

The NFL’s situation is bad. They’re currently using replacement refs because of a labor dispute with their real officials. The result has been nearly as bad as one could imagine, as the replacements have botched call after call, seemingly each one getting more ludicrous.

But as I watched the coverage and thought about the situation, all I could think about was one thing.

“Damn, I wish the NHL’s problem was that bad.”

https://puckthelocko...n-nhls-lockout/

#9 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

NFL Gets It, NHL Does Not

Right on cue with yesterday’s blog about the embarrassing situation with the NFL and their officials, the two sides are currently on the verge of an agreement that would immediately bring the regular refs back as soon as this week.

And really, it’s not surprising.

The NFL was faced with a situation where their reputation was on the line. To have the season continue to be marred by replacement officials would risk some harm on the sport itself, and that’s something that the NFL won’t allow. They’re the kings of the sports world, and it’s for a good reason. Even though they let the situation get to a worse point than it should have, they remedied the situation before too much harm was done.

The NFL gets it.

The NHL does not.

http://puckthelockou...t-nhl-does-not/

#10 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Honestly...

I don't think comparing the NFLs referee situation (integrity) to the NHLs lockout issue (financial) is really a worthy comparison.

The NFL was knee jerked into speeding up its negotiations with the Referees because of the implications the replacements had on the brand.

#11 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

It's just another instance where the NFL does the right thing. Last year, the sport managed to not miss any time when faced with an actual lockout. They just know what they're doing, whereas the NHL has no clue.

#12 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think the vast difference in $ between the two sports speaks to that more than anyone knowing what they are doing.

The Dallas Cowboys are worth $2+ Billion, The Dallas Stars are worth $200 Million. Big difference.

I think people would scream bloody murder if Roger Godell was the commish of the NHL.

#13 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,297 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

It's just another instance where the NFL does the right thing. Last year, the sport managed to not miss any time when faced with an actual lockout. They just know what they're doing, whereas the NHL has no clue.

If the NFL did the right thing, they wouldn't have egg all over their face right now.

One day I hope the NHL decides to go down the same path and use replacement officials. Maybe that way, fans will begin to appreciate what they currently take for granted.

#14 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hockey Back on ESPN, Sort of

I apologize for my lengthy absence from the blogging world, but there just hasn’t been much to talk about lately. Both sides are firmly entrenched, and I have no doubt that it’s going to be a very long time before we see the NHL again.

In an ironic twist, the KHL officially appeared on ESPN2 today. That’s that network that the NHL has been conspicuously absent from since, coincidentally, the last lockout.

Look how easy that was.

And it hit me, as I saw the KHL game on multiple televisions at my gym today, how much of a joke the NHL has been for a while now. How can a sport, proclaiming to be one of the ‘big four’ in America, not be on the worldwide leader in sports network?

http://puckthelockou...n-espn-sort-of/

#15 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

it still does not mask the fact that the NHL missed a huge opportunity when it renewed its television contract

You ignore the fact that the NBC deal was the largest TV deal the NHL has ever received.

#16 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

You ignore the fact that the NBC deal was the largest TV deal the NHL has ever received.

It doesn't matter. Financially or not, it didn't do enough to help the NHL get back into the mainstream. If people are fine with that, then sure, it was a great deal. Hockey won't ever be popular again without ESPN and I think that's something the sport needs.

#17 Guest_addulous_*

Guest_addulous_*

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

It doesn't matter. Financially or not, it didn't do enough to help the NHL get back into the mainstream. If people are fine with that, then sure, it was a great deal. Hockey won't ever be popular again without ESPN and I think that's something the sport needs.

You really think the NHL can't grow without ESPN?

#18 ONLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

You really think the NHL can't grow without ESPN?

Sure it can grow. It already was, before the geniuses locked out again. But it's still nothing more than a second or third rate sport in America, and that won't change without ESPN. When I talk to my friends who no longer follow the sport, they all talk about the days of NHL 2Nite and all that stuff. With another lockout, the sport is pretty doomed in my mind anyway. But eventually, for the sport to get back to where it was when it was challenging the MLB and NBA in the late 90's, it's absolutely going to take an ESPN contract. Once a week on NBC starting halfway through the season isn't enough exposure.

#19 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sure it can grow. It already was, before the geniuses locked out again. But it's still nothing more than a second or third rate sport in America, and that won't change without ESPN. When I talk to my friends who no longer follow the sport, they all talk about the days of NHL 2Nite and all that stuff. With another lockout, the sport is pretty doomed in my mind anyway. But eventually, for the sport to get back to where it was when it was challenging the MLB and NBA in the late 90's, it's absolutely going to take an ESPN contract. Once a week on NBC starting halfway through the season isn't enough exposure.

It will always be like that...not even ESPN could change it. It's just the way it is. That's why hockey arena's are built to only hold around 20,000 people or less. Football stadiums and baseball parks...whole different story. :munch_h4h:

#20 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,297 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

The NHL could have continued it's relationship with ESPN, if ESPN was willing to give the sport the respect it deserves.

It wasn't and so Bettman found someone else that was willing to put out a decent product and pay a little for it at the same time.