Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

'Legend' Rick DiPietro Heads to Germany

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Selly

Selly

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,069 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well what is taking Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo and Josh Bailey so long? They're very nearly the only attractive locked-out New York Islanders yet to secure work overseas while the NHL fights with the Players Association over who gets to have more of your money.

The latest Islander to jump, as rumored yesterday and made official today: Rick DiPietro. Yes, Rick DiPietro is headed to Germany's 2nd-tier league to play with SC Riessersee. [Club announcement here. Google Translate here. Riffs about "legend" in the press release here.] His first game is expected to be Sunday against Landshut Cannibals.

Before you make your 2nd-tier jokes (too late, no doubt), DiPietro follows fellow NHLer Matt D'Agostini of the St. Louis Blues to Riessersee. In Europe, as you probably know, teams are subject to promotion and relegation within the tiers when they win or tank their league. (Riessersee narrowly avoided relegation last year; the poor Fischtown Penguins were relegated instead.)

All the rest

#2 OFFLINE   1940forever

1940forever

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:30
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Who knows? This might just be the best move for him.

#3 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,354 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

Verletzte Reserve...German for injured reserve. :pinch:
gezogen Leistengegend...pulled groin.
out für die Saison...out for the season.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I didnt see this coming: Rick, healthy and playing??!?!?
But seriously, I think that the NHLPA has urged their team reps to get out there and get other jobs to make a point to the NHL.

#5 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Finally, hockey season begins. Maybe it’s mot what we expected, but the AHL becomes the only relevant hockey for some of us. We now get to watch our favorite NHL team’s affiliates battle until the NHL Lockout ends. I know I’m going to do what I can to watch Bridgeport.

Speaking of relevance, there was some news coming from Long Island this week! Islanders goalie, Rick DiPietro, has signed with SC Riessersee of the 2nd Eishockey-Bundesliga in Germany. I’m sure most Islanders fans are making jokes, and I have seen some of them. I’m sure a few of you also know that I am a Rick DiPietro fan, and I’m sure some Islanders fans will scoff at that notion.

Well, I think I have something to say about this, and it’s something we can all agree on. This is actually a great thing for the Islanders. By great, I mean the Islanders win huge. Let me explain.

Think about it. If Rick DiPietro plays overseas, there are three outcomes for the organization. Rick DiPietro either:

1) Plays, and gets injured.

2) Plays, and plays poorly.

3) Plays, and excels.

If Rick DiPietro plays and gets injured, it’s simple: the Islanders move on. If the NHL lockout ends, Rick will not start on the Islanders roster. The awkward phase of trying to push Rick into a game that is too fast for him will be bypassed. The Islanders won’t have to worry about forcing him onto the ice if the Islanders ever got hot, or trying to let him break a losing skid if we ever got cold. If Rick got hurt, after a full summer of being healthy, then the game is simply too much for him. Rick will start the year (and probably end it) on the IR if he got hurt in Germany, which would mean no rushed DiPietro appearances.

If he plays, stays healthy, but plays poorly, you better believe that will be on the radars of Charles Wang and Garth Snow. Rick would be a back-up at best, and possibly cut loose. Rick DiPietro could even retire if he couldn’t play while healthy. Rick is at the point where he has to earn a roster spot. The only reason why he would even sniff the roster (not his contract) would be because they want to buy Anders Nilsson and Kevin Poulin time in Bridgeport. DiPietro is no longer considered the Islanders starting goalie, although plenty love to joke about it.

If he plays and excels, well, there is no losing in that. I don’t care if it’s Rick DiPietro. I don’t care if it’s Charles Wang’s idea for a sumo-wrestler in goal. If the guy can keep the puck out of the net, he’s a goalie in my eyes. DiPietro, when healthy, was a good one. Once upon a time, even with his frustrating puck-handling decisions, Rick DiPietro was an All-Star goalie. He helped us to the playoffs. He made acrobatic saves, and he had the Coliseum chanting “DP” every night. I mean, I miss the nights where he would shut up those Rangers fans as they were taunting his name. If DP stayed healthy, and excelled in Germany, you would have to say he has a chance to redeem himself. I wish we could see this.

Of course, based off of history, #39 will probably have trouble staying healthy, but who knows. I hope he becomes what he was, but it’s not 2006-07 anymore. It’s also fair to say that the Islanders win no matter what happens in Germany. Save the jokes for now. His play overseas will not affect the Islanders in any negative way. All three scenarios play out as a win for Islanders fans, so let’s see how it plays out. Rick Dipietro is doing himself a favor by finding out if he can still play, and the Islanders a favor by giving them a chance to see what he can do without hurting this team in the standings.

Follow @Christriants

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment!

Hockey Independant

#6 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,671 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I didnt see this coming: Rick, healthy and playing??!?!?
But seriously, I think that the NHLPA has urged their team reps to get out there and get other jobs to make a point to the NHL.

The point that the union's "solidarity" also includes every man for himself?

#7 OFFLINE   netminder39

netminder39

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 103 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:17

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

I agree that this is probably a scouting report on DiPietro and rightly so. If he plays well AND can stay healthy, it will only be a bonus.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I agree that this is probably a scouting report on DiPietro and rightly so. If he plays well AND can stay healthy, it will only be a bonus.

Absolutely, it can only be a good thing for him... and the Islanders, honestly.

The point that the union's "solidarity" also includes every man for himself?

Its to the NHLPAs benefit to undermine the importance of the owners and emphasize the fact that others are lining up to pay the players. I dont agree with them, but that really looks to me like the message they have been trying to send.

#9 OFFLINE   1940forever

1940forever

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:30

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Apparently, DP has re-injured his groin while playing in Germany, according to Bleacher Report and the Toronto Sun. However, there was another article posted on the New York Post website saying DP has denied claims he is in fact hurt. Not sure who to believe... I guess we'll see.

NYP Article
Toronto Sun Article

#10 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,354 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Apparently, DP has re-injured his groin while playing in Germany, according to Bleacher Report and the Toronto Sun. However, there was another article posted on the New York Post website saying DP has denied claims he is in fact hurt. Not sure who to believe... I guess we'll see.

NYP Article
Toronto Sun Article

Wow..you don't say? Surely wont surprise me if it's true. :munch_h4h:

#11 OFFLINE   netminder39

netminder39

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 103 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:17

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

NYP Article
Toronto Sun Article

If he plays another game soon, then we'll know. In all honesty he hasn't played. A groin pull is common on some players during training camp. Now, if he doesn't play for another three-four weeks, then we can start really talking.

#12 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,954 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

Verletzte Reserve...German for injured reserve. :pinch:
gezogen Leistengegend...pulled groin.
out für die Saison...out for the season.

:lol2:

#13 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,354 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

:lol2:

:gap:

#14 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I dont think its funny, I feel really bad for him.
I cant imagine how heartbroken he must feel, he just wants to play so badly.

#15 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,954 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Meh, he got his contract. I feel bad for players when injury doesn't let them get to a point to succeed, but when he is getting millions to be glass boy, I'll giggle.

#16 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,354 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

He's the reason Shane Doan's wife finally made him wear a visor after he upper-jacked cheap-shotted Doan in the face with the end of his stick and I'll leave it at that...I have personal feelings towards the guy that I don't need to discuss but yeah, it must be very frustrating for him and the team.

#17 Guest_IslesRebelAngel_*

Guest_IslesRebelAngel_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

I don't care how much money you're making... I still wouldn't laugh at a player who clearly has some crappy luck when it comes to staying healthy.

#18 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,082 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Apparently the German press reported he was out with a groin injury there and Rick had to tell US media that it isn't true haha.

My link

There have also been some questions as to how Dipietro has gotten insurance to actually play in Europe. Here's my take. At this point, in the 7th season of DP's contract and with so many injuries at this point I think it's safe to assume Dipietro has hit the "unisuruable" level.

There are several levels of thinking here. One is that the insurance companies have taken a beating over Rick's contract and have simply stopped offering to cover him. This happens to a lot of high priced athletes as they get older. I think Forsberg was uninsurable by the later point of his career as was Lindros. Another train of thought is that the premiums to cover Rick have just gotten so out of hand that Wang may have just stopped covering him entirely. Most NHL franchises only actually insure a handful of players on their roster because the costs of premiums are exceptionally high. We are hearing estimates that Crosby's premiums would be upwards of 400k per month if he went to Europe so you can imagine where Rick would be.

Now my train of thought is this. The Islanders have clearly stopped viewing Rick as a viable option in net. Nabokov was extended and Poulin is in the system with other goalies as well. Dipietro can still play his way back into the picture but frankly the Isles cannot count on him in anyway to produce. So Snow and Wang probably okayed Rick to Germany for the simple fact they want him playing and god forbid he does get injured they could just "fire" him under the conditions of the CBA OR they just don't really care. Either way I think Wang and the Isles are happier to have Rick playing hockey somewhere even if it does put him at risk at this point.

This point has been edited by Potvin29: 08 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

#19 Guest_IslesRebelAngel_*

Guest_IslesRebelAngel_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Apparently the German press reported he was out with a groin injury there and Rick had to tell US media that it isn't true haha.

My link

There have also been some questions as to how Dipietro has gotten insurance to actually play in Europe. Here's my take. At this point, in the 7th season of DP's contract and with so many injuries at this point I think it's safe to assume Dipietro has hit the "unisuruable" level.

There are several levels of thinking here. One is that the insurance companies have taken a beating over Rick's contract and have simply stopped offering to cover him. This happens to a lot of high priced athletes as they get older. I think Forsberg was uninsurable by the later point of his career as was Lindros. Another train of thought is that the premiums to cover Rick have just gotten so out of hand that Wang may have just stopped covering him entirely. Most NHL franchises only actually insure a handful of players on their roster because the costs of premiums are exceptionally high. We are hearing estimates that Crosby's premiums would be upwards of 400k per month if he went to Europe so you can imagine where Rick would be.

Now my train of thought is this. The Islanders have clearly stopped viewing Rick as a viable option in net. Nabokov was extended and Poulin is in the system with other goalies as well. Dipietro can still play his way back into the picture but frankly the Isles cannot count on him in anyway to produce. So Snow and Wang probably okayed Rick to Germany for the simple fact they want him playing and god forbid he does get injured they could just "fire" him under the conditions of the CBA OR they just don't really care. Either way I think Wang and the Isles are happier to have Rick playing hockey somewhere even if it does put him at risk at this point.

I did read in an earlier article about NHLers playing overseas that one player (unnamed) was paying about $40,000/mo for their insurance policy. Wouldn't be shocked if that NHLer were DP.

#20 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,671 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Since DP's contract would presumably have an out clause for if the NHL came back, and given his injury history, if I were a non-NHL GM, I would word his contract so that he gets paid on some sort of a per-game-played (whether he started or was the backup) basis. That way, you don't have to worry about the fact that he is uninsurable.