Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

10 Villains Of The NHL Lockout

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,298 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Every story has a villain. Whether it is a children’s fairy tale or a Shakespearean tragedy, the villain plays a prominent role. In this NHL lockout, there are no shortages of villains. In fact this lockout is full of villains, with no heroes to be seen to save the season. With knaves aplenty, some stand out more than others. Here are the top 10 bad guys, of the NHL lockout.

1. Jeremy Jacobs

The owner of the Boston Bruins, Jacobs is a despicable, disgusting, deplorable human being. He is the one of the lowest life forms on earth. Jacobs is the leader of the negotiating committee for the owners, and has presided over the lockouts in 1994-95 and in 2004-05 in which the entire season was wiped out. Jacobs has been known to treat players like dirt, and is proud of that. He is a penny-pincher to the nth degree, which has included ripping off employees and investors of the club. Former Bruins coach and outspoken TV commentator Don Cherry remembers Jacobs as a very rich man who makes his millions of the blood and sweat of others. Every proposal that the NHL has presented to the players, has been drafted by Jacobs. He is basically controlling every move in this lockout. One theory has that Jacobs sold his soul to the devil, in order for the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup in 2011. But how can one sell his soul to himself?

2. Gary Bettman

We all know about the commissioner’s track record. 3 work stoppages in 20 years. There is no doubt that Bettman is a villain in this mess. Whether it be his condescending attitude towards every proposal the NHLPA sends his way, or the arrogant tone of one of his news conferences, Bettman acts like he’s better than everyone else, and only he knows what is best for the game. Let us not forget that Bettman is technically an owner. The NHL still owns the Phoenix Coyotes and Bettman is overseeing that franchise. Can we say conflict of interest? Let us not forget the PR battle the NHL has tried to wage. Bettman and his cronies hired Frank Luntz, a well-known spin doctor for the Republican party, to help them with the public relations battle they were losing. Bettman is the classic lawyer. He always talks in legalese terms that the general public won’t understand, just to make himself look smart. The truth about Gary Bettman is simple. He’s only the lookout for himself, damn the consequences. All he wants is the big win. If that means sacrificing another NHL season, just to get the deal he wants, he’ll do it. Shameful behaviour. Classic villain.

3. Donald Fehr

The NHLPA isn’t innocent in this fight either. The players, led by Fehr have come across as spoiled brats, who are only interested in monetary gains, instead of playing the game they love. It is also been perceived that the players are far more interested in winning the PR battle, than trying to negotiate a deal. Fehr is a master at public relations, and is terrific in this area going back to 1994. Baseball fans can certainly attest to that. Fehr led the players to strike that forced the cancellation of the 1994 World Series. It took many years for baseball to recover from that loss, and in some ways, they have not recovered. Fehr spent most of that work stoppage talking up the media, rather than trying to negotiate a deal, to salvage the World Series. Flash forward to present time and Fehr is using the exact same tactics he did in 1994. In fact, Fehr’s reputation as a dealmaker is completely false. It took the US Supreme Court to strike down a notion by the owners to use replacement players at the start of the 1995 Major League Baseball season, Fehr said strike over and the players returned to their original deal. In 2002, the players threatened to go on strike again. This time the fans rebelled, and then US President George W. Bush made an ultimatum to the players. Go on strike and I’ll bust your union. The players relented and the strike was averted. The only way Fehr negotiates is when a gun is pointed to his head. In fact, Fehr had a chance to begin negotiations as early as last January. He declined, saying that he needed more time to learn the process. What a bunch of nonsense. He’s just as much of a villain as Bettman is.

Jeremy Wiebe

#2 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

So the fans are villians? Wow. Not one bitching and whining player on the list.

#3 OFFLINE   Left Wing Loner

Left Wing Loner

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:77

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Fuck this clown!
Ill written for certain. This is a piece of crap "article".
Anyone that names the fans as a villain is dimwitted pud whacker. If he wanted to make a really villain he would have pointed at the blog-o-sphere.

#4 ONLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Fuck this clown!
Ill written for certain. This is a piece of crap "article".
Anyone that names the fans as a villain is dimwitted pud whacker. If he wanted to make a really villain he would have pointed at the blog-o-sphere.

Well he did mention the media. And I'm sure a lot of bloggers (mistakenly) consider themselves part of the media.

#5 OFFLINE   Left Wing Loner

Left Wing Loner

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:77

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well he did mention the media. And I'm sure a lot of bloggers (mistakenly) consider themselves part of the media.

Even the guys that used to be good bloggers are crappy now. Puck Daddy comes to mind immediately. The problem is that he actually IS part of the media now.

#6 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

lol

OK, good Monday morning read ........

#7 OFFLINE   okeeffe4

okeeffe4

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 383 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:17
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Fehr is #1 on the list. His only reason for coming into the NHL was to take these greedy players on to a strike.
How can these guys not realize that the millions that go to the greedy players of the nfl, nba, and mlb is only available due to the HUGE TV contracts. These contracts have not been available to the NHL so all of the money
comes FROM US. Tickets, parking, beer, hot dags, etc...
Our game has been stolen from us by the likes of fehr and the simple minds of his minions who blindly follow his bullshit and continue to stick it to the fans.

#8 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Fehr is #1 on the list. His only reason for coming into the NHL was to take these greedy players on to a strike.
How can these guys not realize that the millions that go to the greedy players of the nfl, nba, and mlb is only available due to the HUGE TV contracts. These contracts have not been available to the NHL so all of the money
Our game has been stolen from us by the likes of fehr and the simple minds of his minions who blindly follow his bullshit and continue to stick it to the fans.

:dirol:

#9 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

What flavor Kool-Aid is Gary “Jim Jones” Bettman serving today?

And Bettman, Batterman and Jacobs are just innocent bystanders?

#10 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,305 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Kinda pathetic. Why is it wrong for Wang to announce the move to Brooklyn now? Should he wait until its leaked to everyone and then say, "oh, yeah, I was waiting for the lockout to be over." BS. You announce things when they are known, don't keep your fans in the dark.

And don't get me started on the fans are villains. In essence, his "top ten" list basically encompasses anyone involved with the game of hockey as villains. So we're all to blame. Guess what? Only two guys can fix this, and its on them to do so. Call them villains or whatever, but they need to get it done and I think Fehr is less willing to do that than Bettman.

#12 ONLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Kinda pathetic. Why is it wrong for Wang to announce the move to Brooklyn now? Should he wait until its leaked to everyone and then say, "oh, yeah, I was waiting for the lockout to be over." BS. You announce things when they are known, don't keep your fans in the dark.

And don't get me started on the fans are villains. In essence, his "top ten" list basically encompasses anyone involved with the game of hockey as villains. So we're all to blame. Guess what? Only two guys can fix this, and its on them to do so. Call them villains or whatever, but they need to get it done and I think Fehr is less willing to do that than Bettman.

Not everyone. He doesn't call out the players. He calls out Fehr, but not the players, despite calling out the owners as a group and a number of them individually.

#13 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,305 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Not everyone. He doesn't call out the players. He calls out Fehr, but not the players, despite calling out the owners as a group and a number of them individually.

Good call. I missed that nuance. So its even dumber than I first thought.

#14 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,298 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think Damned belongs on the list... followed by Holliday.

#15 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

:lol2:

#16 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I made a list!!!

Good, bad, or ugly I made a list!!!

:bleh:

#17 OFFLINE   Caniac59

Caniac59

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:59
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

So this means I made #10 on this list :yahoo:

I feel sooooo special now :air_kiss:

#18 ONLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

I made a list!!!

Good, bad, or ugly I made a list!!!

:bleh:

If we're talking about you, I think we have to go with ugly!

:whistling: :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

If we're talking about you, I think we have to go with ugly!

:whistling: :lol:

I can't argue this.

lol

#20 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50