Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Let's play Eklund

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Watching the Canada/Russia game today, I had a crazy thought: What about trading Yakupov to Columbus for Jenner and a pick? You immediately solve your 2nd line center dilemna and you move Gagner to the wing. You get a real solid mucker that can play in every situation and has a nose for the net besides. Yakupov is highly skilled and is a big name, which Columbus could now use to generate some excitement after Nash leaving. Yakupov will probably have more points in his career, but with Hall, Eberle and RNH, do the Oilers need another player like Yakupov? Sure you can never have too much scoring, but Jenner brings more to the table.

#2 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Center

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Watching the Canada/Russia game today, I had a crazy thought: What about trading Yakupov to Columbus for Jenner and a pick? You immediately solve your 2nd line center dilemna and you move Gagner to the wing. You get a real solid mucker that can play in every situation and has a nose for the net besides. Yakupov is highly skilled and is a big name, which Columbus could now use to generate some excitement after Nash leaving. Yakupov will probably have more points in his career, but with Hall, Eberle and RNH, do the Oilers need another player like Yakupov? Sure you can never have too much scoring, but Jenner brings more to the table.

I agree on only one thing: it's a crazy thought.

;)

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 01 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

#3 ONLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I agree on only one thing: it's a crazy thought.

;)

JR

Figured I'd get at least a couple responses like that. What if you broadened it and got Jenner and Murray for Yakupov and other assets, like maybe Marincin and the rights to Omark?

#4 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Figured I'd get at least a couple responses like that. What if you broadened it and got Jenner and Murray for Yakupov and other assets, like maybe Marincin and the rights to Omark?

Ok, now we're talking about a trade which you can at least start to consider: #1 for #2 and #37.

For right now, though, I'd be very loathe to trade Yakupov for anything other than a gross overpay, considering he's already producing a high level of offense in a terrific pro league. Teams that want to trade elite young talent because they got excited watching 19-yr old role players at the World Juniors would almost always live to regret it.

JR

#5 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,143 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

If you could get Jenner and Murray for the Yak, Marincin, and Omark I would consider it, this much is true. I really like Jenner's game. I'm not sure that Columbus makes that deal though.

I also see JR's point, Yakupov is the most NHL ready, I am looking forward to seeing what looks like with an Oilers jersey on. I also to see Klefbom. I think he makes this team next year. With Shultz, Klefbom, and maybe Marincin in the mix, Murray may not be an asset you need. Making it a steep price to pay to add Jenner.

#6 ONLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm really not that serious about it, but we needed SOMETHING to talk about. I really like the way Jenner plays, though, and would love to see him take Horcoff's spot at the very least. Of course, most of us would like to see ANYONE take Horcoff's spot.

#7 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm really not that serious about it, but we needed SOMETHING to talk about. I really like the way Jenner plays, though, and would love to see him take Horcoff's spot at the very least. Of course, most of us would like to see ANYONE take Horcoff's spot.

I know where you're coming from, and I definitely would like to see the Oilers find a centre to take Horcoff's place: salary is too high with a reduced cap, and he's not exactly getting younger. However, Jenner is WAY off from doing Horcoff's job of taking a large number of D-zone faceoffs against the toughs.

They need a role player in the prime of his career for that job, and taking on Jenner as his replacement at this stage would be pure folly. I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to shit on you, because I agree that they need a replacement quite soon, but see nothing to indicate Jenner is capable of filling that role, as much as I like what he's done playing against other teenagers.

The only teenagers who take jobs from quality NHL players are kids like Yakupov.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 01 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

#8 ONLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I know where you're coming from, and I definitely would like to see the Oilers find a centre to take Horcoff's place: salary is too high with a reduced cap, and he's not exactly getting younger. However, Jenner is WAY off from doing Horcoff's job of taking a large number of D-zone faceoffs against the toughs.

They need a role player in the prime of his career for that job, and taking on Jenner as his replacement at this stage would be pure folly. I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to shit on you, because I agree that they need a replacement quite soon, but see nothing to indicate Jenner is capable of filling that role, as much as I like what he's done playing against other teenagers.

The only teenagers who take jobs from quality NHL players are kids like Yakupov.

JR

The idea would be when Horcoff's contract is up. However, if the CBA allows a one time amnesty on any contract that doesn't go against the cap, do you think the Oilers buy him out? I think they need to if they want to keep the young guys around.

#9 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Arturs Irbe to Florida is a done deal. Hearing it's for Jonathan Huberdeau and a first round pick.

#10 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

The idea would be when Horcoff's contract is up. However, if the CBA allows a one time amnesty on any contract that doesn't go against the cap, do you think the Oilers buy him out? I think they need to if they want to keep the young guys around.

All talk of dealing away #1 picks aside...

Shawn Horcoff isn't (yet) a bad hockey player, but he does have a bad contract. I can imagine that the Oilers wouldn't mind a way around the cap hit, but this would also be a good chance for this organization to show they've learned a lesson which will have taken about 20 years to learn: don't get rid of players until you have a suitable replacement.

I'm not in love with his cap hit either, but I'm not 100% sure he's going anywhere yet.

JR

#11 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,143 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

All talk of dealing away #1 picks aside...

Shawn Horcoff isn't (yet) a bad hockey player, but he does have a bad contract. I can imagine that the Oilers wouldn't mind a way around the cap hit, but this would also be a good chance for this organization to show they've learned a lesson which will have taken about 20 years to learn: don't get rid of players until you have a suitable replacement.

I'm not in love with his cap hit either, but I'm not 100% sure he's going anywhere yet.

JR

Until the team is in a money jam, you are bang on, there is no need to get rid of Horcoff. Good 3rd line center, maybe very good 3rd line center.

We all hate what he is getting paid, but until that money is a cap problem, Horcoff isn't a problem.

#12 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,143 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Arturs Irbe to Florida is a done deal. Hearing it's for Jonathan Huberdeau and a first round pick.

That made me giggle.

#13 ONLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Its not this year or next year, its his final year in 2014-2015 that could be the real problem from the cap standpoint. They will need to pay RNH and Schultz likely a lot more money then, but I guess there is a lot of flexibility at that point as they hardly have anyone under contract. Still, it could be a real tough contract at that point and if they aren't allowed to bury him in the minors, it could be tough.