Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

the future of NHL

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

If they don't get a deal done soon there will not be a NHL to come back soon. In other words if the season is cancelled than the NHL might ass well be.

#2 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,966 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

They'll be fine.

#3 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I believe the fans are getting tired of going through this everytime the CBA expires

#4 ONLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,966 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I believe the fans are getting tired of going through this everytime the CBA expires

Of course. And a lot of fans are like drug addicts though. Every drug addict hates when their dealer runs out of "stuff" but they sure are one of the first ones buying it when the dealer gets more "stuff."

The NHL will lose some for a little while but they will pick some up too. I'm a long time 6+ year season ticket holder and I know a lot of fellow ticket holders and have kept in contact with a lot of them during this lockout. All of them are mad but not one says they wont be back as soon as the first game is played. I'm probably the only one out of that bunch that is 99.9% likely not renewing season tickets but will still watch every game on TV and it's not because "I'm mad". It's just because the lockout has shown me how much money I really spend because of hockey and I think it's time I spend it on some other things for at least a few years. Just like the NHL and the lockout...they all know the fans will still be there and I know the NHL will still be there too when I feel like devoting that much of myself and my money to them again. And it still doesn't mean I wont be going to a few games every year until I get season tickets again some day.

#5 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm not a season ticket holder but i will say I am not coming back this season if there is one if there is not one I might not be back next but will be back the following year might not be much on the big picture but will prove to my friends i can stick to my guns they think i will be back as soon as the puck drops but they have lost me this time i tired of their greedy asses when baseball had their last work stoppage i walked from them up until a couple of years ago and might do the same hockey if that makes me a lesser fan to you so be it to me it says I am tired of Bettmans SHIT and i'm not taking it no more!

#6 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,304 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

I get the sense that the whole arguing over the salary cap will be a moot point because I think, unlike last time, fans won't be back in droves as soon as the puck drops. There will be many who will flock back, but there are a lot more people, I believe, this time around who will stay away. I think the NHL revenues will take a substantial hit for the next couple years or more. The 50/50 split they basically agreed to some time ago will end up being substantially less than either side had before. Both sides are fools.

#7 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think this lockout could have been avoided if the NHL would have got rid of bettman after the first one and its to the point where I am getting tired of all their greedy asses players and owners

#8 ONLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,966 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm not a season ticket holder but i will say I am not coming back this season if there is one if there is not one I might not be back next but will be back the following year might not be much on the big picture but will prove to my friends i can stick to my guns they think i will be back as soon as the puck drops but they have lost me this time i tired of their greedy asses when baseball had their last work stoppage i walked from them up until a couple of years ago and might do the same hockey if that makes me a lesser fan to you so be it to me it says I am tired of Bettmans SHIT and i'm not taking it no more!

Stick to your guns man! It doesn't make you any less of a fan. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Caniac59

Caniac59

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:59
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm to the point now that the should just go ahead and completely cancel this season. I think if they get that out the way they can concentrate on working out a long term deal. This dragging the fans along for this all this time is killing me as a fan.

I think once they come to terms and they can get a season going ,the NHL will take a hit and it will take them a couple of years to bounce back. I can almost relate this back to the 94-95 MLB lockout, the MLB took a hit and it took them a few years to bounce back and look at how they are doing since then.

#10 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm to the point now that the should just go ahead and completely cancel this season.

they have had eight years to do something I think they dont want to get a deal if they did they would have spent the last day of the cba talking instead of watching college football

#11 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,966 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm to the point now that the should just go ahead and completely cancel this season.

I was at that point awhile ago. At least I would have felt more respected if they would have cancelled it a month or so ago.

#12 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm trying to look at the bright side of this being a Ducks fan. A lost season is no big deal to me since the team was pretty much sucking ass anyways. Some players just need to retire *cough cough* so the team can move forward. We have some great young talent developing that deserve a shot at making the big club. If the CBA finally gets settled on and there are two compliance buyouts still in the deal, I hope one of them is Souray.

It seems to me at least that both the owners and the players have tried to pull "fast ones" in these "negotiations".

#13 ONLINE   MightyPanthers

MightyPanthers

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:87
  • Position:Center

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

The thing is that, they WILL make the deal in a week. :spiteful:

#14 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,278 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think this lockout could have been avoided if the NHL would have got rid of bettman after the first one and its to the point where I am getting tired of all their greedy asses players and owners

So hypothetically, if Bettman wasn't involved in these negotiations, do you think the PA would have all of a sudden agreed to all the concessions the owners asked for?... or do you think the owners would have said, "hey! we don't really mind losing multi-millions each and every year... let's sign on that dotted line."

#15 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

So hypothetically, if Bettman wasn't involved in these negotiations, do you think the PA would have all of a sudden agreed to all the concessions the owners asked for?... or do you think the owners would have said, "hey! we don't really mind losing multi-millions each and every year... let's sign on that dotted line."

I think many under estimate the hatred the NHLPA has for Bettman. Two things the players have heard that probably pisses them off more than anything!

A. All franchises are healthy and thriving!
B. Conduct business as usual!

A. Has been said over and over, throughout the past 8 years.

B. Shows they intended to spend and clawback!

#16 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,701 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh come on LS, it is that simple!! Get rid of Bettman and everything will be fine. No more issues between the players and owners. None! Zero. Zelch.

God, the above statement looks super ridiculous even when said in sarcasm.

#17 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,278 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think many under estimate the hatred the NHLPA has for Bettman. Two things the players have heard that probably pisses them off more than anything!

A. All franchises are healthy and thriving!
B. Conduct business as usual!

A. Has been said over and over, throughout the past 8 years.

B. Shows they intended to spend and clawback!

I think the underestimation here, is the belief that there is no mistrust between the owners and the players.

I agree 100% that the players aren't all that fond of their Commissioner. But it is quite naive to think this entire debacle is exclusively the result of that.

Elimintate Bettman or Fehr, and there will be an enormous supply of bad blood in their wake.

#18 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

My statement about bettman was ment to be if someone else was in charge than the lockout would not have come around pure and simple bettman is an assclown who dont give a fuck about noone but his damn self

#19 OFFLINE   Shakes

Shakes

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:20

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

My statement about bettman was ment to be if someone else was in charge than the lockout would not have come around pure and simple bettman is an assclown who dont give a fuck about noone but his damn self

that statement is 100% false. and someone obviously doesnt' understand the issues in play.

ps- I'd give you more respect, but when your post contains fuck and assclown....well, enough said.

#20 Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Guest_Mitch Pressley_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

name one thing possitive he has did for the league that all these lockouts dont negate