Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rangers players reactions to the new CBA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,650 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

It was an early-wake up call this morning for Rangers goalie and player representative Marty Biron as his son, Jacob, was due on the ice at 8 a.m. for his hockey game. Dad got to wake up the son with some good news that a tentative deal for a new CBA had been reached.

In other words, the lockout was over and dad was going back to work. (See previous Ranger Rants post for more details on tentative CBA agreement and link to Tom Gulitti’s article on NorthJersey.com).

“Obviously, I’m excited,” Biron said by telephone as he watched his son skate. “I woke up very early this morning with text messages of possibly having the agreement done. I went to wake up Jacob for hockey, he’s on the ice at 8, and the first thing I told him was, ‘The league is going to start again in the next little bit.’ He was excited. I’m excited for him. I’m excited for the fans. I’m excited for the arena people. Obviously, I’m excited for myself.”

Biron described himself as an optimist who believed a deal could be done, even if history might have suggested otherwise.

More

#2 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,650 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Speaking on the telephone, you could hear one of Mike Rupp’s four children in the background and the gritty forward acknowledged, that from a family standpoint, the extended time at home during the NHL lockout was a blessing since he and his wife welcomed a new baby at the end of August.

As a hockey player, though, Rupp is obviously thrilled that the NHL and the NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement on a new CBA. And from a purely Rangers’ perspective, it was something Rupp wanted to get done even more after the team reached the Eastern Conference finals last season and acquired sniper Rick Nash in the offseason.

“You do think about that,” Rupp admitted. “You only have certain windows of opportunity and we have a window of opportunity. You don’t want that to fall to the wayside. We were talking about it as players. You never want that what-if. Now we have our shot. We have a lot of work ahead of us.”

Rupp said he always believed a deal would get done in time to avoid the cancellation of the full season.

More

#3 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,650 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Lundqvist said he’s typically been a slow starter but there’s not much time in a 48-game schedule to get off to a slow start. He said he feels good that he’s been skating the past four months but he needs to sharpen his skills facing odd-man rushes and NHL-speed practices.

“It’s definitely going to be a challenge,” Lundqvist said of the shortened season, “but you can’t worry about it. Go out there and have fun and realize you’re back at it. I’m really happy about it, that we finally find a solution here and we can move past it (the lockout). It’s really important for all of us to play and get back at it.

“You need to have some patience,” he added. “You can’t expect yourself to be in top shape right away. Usually, you have a month before you start playing. Everybody’s been skating but it’s still different whe you come out here. There’s more contact, it’s faster. You put more pressure on your body. So I think, especially the first four or five days, you have to take it step by step.”

More