Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Captaincy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:2
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Now that the work stoppage has ended (apparently), I feel like we need to address the vacancy at the captains position. I know this is one of the things that usually aren't discussed in New Jersey, but now that the season nears, I wanted to bring it up. We know it's more than likely that spot will be left open, especially during the shortened year, though. I'm pulling for Zajac, but I'm almost positive Kovalchuk gets it eventually.

#2 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Well prior to the season, it was said it was going to be left open until one of the players showed they earned the 'C'.

That is possible this season, but I agree that Kovalchuk will probably end up with it.

#3 OFFLINE   thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:2
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well prior to the season, it was said it was going to be left open until one of the players showed they earned the 'C'.

That is possible this season, but I agree that Kovalchuk will probably end up with it.

Right, which is why this is still open for discussion. I've always been a huge Elias fan, and I know as recently as last year he's said he didn't want it, but this is a different regime that stripped him of captaincy in such a distasteful way half a decade ago. Maybe he could wear it one more time.

#4 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Right, which is why this is still open for discussion. I've always been a huge Elias fan, and I know as recently as last year he's said he didn't want it, but this is a different regime that stripped him of captaincy in such a distasteful way half a decade ago. Maybe he could wear it one more time.

I'm all for Elias taking over again, but like you stated, he has said it himself he did not want me. But maybe he will change his mind. Who knows.

#5 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

When asked about naming a captain, DeBoer said he has had “internal” discussions with the staff on the subject, but hasn’t picked one yet. He said he “probably” would name one before the team opens the season Saturday against the Islanders.

From F&I

At least we can put to bed the notion that he'll go with 3 A's in a game.