Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Detroit Preparing For New Home

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,673 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

DETROIT, MI - The president and CEO of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation sounds determined to see plans for a $650 million new Detroit Red Wings arena and entertainment complex come to fruition.

"We're going to move; we're putting the financial pieces together as we speak," said George Jackson, of a non-profit organization that works with city officials and other partners on development issues. "So from that standpoint, we're moving; that's how this works normally.

"We've got some base funding related to the legislation that was passed in the lame duck session, and now we'll move on putting those final pieces together."

Eric Lacy

#2 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,384 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

This place will be nice when it's done! Don't pee in the sinks!!!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Charles

Charles

Injury Call Up

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 34 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:27
  • Position:Center

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Very interesting news.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The Wings, Oilers, Rangers, and Isles had the oldest arenas in the NHL. The Rangers just did a huge remodel, the Oilers have their arena deal that they are working out, the Isles are a movin on up (well, west lol) so that left the Wings. They have to do something. I am just surprised that it isnt a a more economical renovation as opposed to the gigantariffic price tag they are talking about right now. Detroit is not a rich city.

#5 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:7

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

With the amount of history at The Joe you figured they would go the route of the Madison Square Garden and under go a full renovation project instead of building a completely new arena. I can't imagine the Red Wings not playing their home games at The Joe.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

With the amount of history at The Joe you figured they would go the route of the Madison Square Garden and under go a full renovation project instead of building a completely new arena. I can't imagine the Red Wings not playing their home games at The Joe.

What is MSG now is not in the same location as it was in the past. Actually I think there were three other venues that were called Madison Square Garden before the one that the Rangers play in now. Maybe the Red Wings would do the same kind of thing?

More than the name though, its the price tag that has me perplexed. How on Earth are they gonna pull that off?

#7 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

What is MSG now is not in the same location as it was in the past. Actually I think there were three other venues that were called Madison Square Garden before the one that the Rangers play in now. Maybe the Red Wings would do the same kind of thing?

More than the name though, its the price tag that has me perplexed. How on Earth are they gonna pull that off?

Oh really? See I didn't know that. I'm just a sympathetic kind of guy. I hate to see these old venues go by the way side but I know it's necessary.

#8 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,680 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Oh really? See I didn't know that. I'm just a sympathetic kind of guy. I hate to see these old venues go by the way side but I know it's necessary.

Yep, we're on MSG IV.

http://en.wikipedia....n_Square_Garden

#9 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yep, we're on MSG IV.

Better than MSG+2

Although, at least they have a high def broadcast now- and they no longer hide it on random channels that I cant find until the first period is half over.

#10 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,384 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Better than MSG+2

Although, at least they have a high def broadcast now- and they no longer hide it on random channels that I cant find until the first period is half over.

:pinch:

#11 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

But the Joe has so much History and tradition behind it.. it would be hard to let it go.. its like a second home to wings fans.

#12 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

But the Joe has so much History and tradition behind it.. it would be hard to let it go.. its like a second home to wings fans.

That's the way I feel.