Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Oilers acquire Mark Fistric

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MightyPanthers

MightyPanthers

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:87
  • Position:Center

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

#Oilers acquire defenceman Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2013 #NHLDraft

Tweetie; Edmonton Oilers

#2 OFFLINE   Xcal97

Xcal97

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Guest_Dainer09_*

Guest_Dainer09_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

God I wish Joe would DIAF...

Anyway... congratz on your upcoming dynasty Edmonton. Send some love our way please :whistling:

#4 OFFLINE   blackoutdallas

blackoutdallas

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Fuck Joe.

#5 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I like this trade a lot. Good defensive defenseman. Apparently the Stars fans don't like it, which is also good for us.

#6 ONLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

What I like:
-They get their huge, physical bottom pairing guy.
-Keeps Teubert, Plante and Fedun far away from NHL forwards.
-Gives them more options for who to pair with Justin Schultz.
-He's in his prime years.

What I don't like:
-Saw the easiest minutes of Dallas defensemen.
-An offensive black hole.
-Will want a pay raise which would probably exceed his value.
-One-dimensional, but not great at that one dimension.

I always try to be fair with my pros and cons... In the end, I think it's a good trade for the Oilers, as it allows them to address a depth need, acquire a player with the required tools, and for a price which isn't too high.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 14 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

#7 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Isn't 'offensive black hole' a complicated way to say defensive defenceman? :renske:

#8 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,253 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I like this trade a lot. Good defensive defenseman. Apparently the Stars fans don't like it, which is also good for us.

I think the fact the Stars boys don't like it says the most, agreed.

#9 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Isn't 'offensive black hole' a complicated way to say defensive defenceman? :renske:

heh

It's my way of saying that he's a stick-optional player. ;)

JR

#10 OFFLINE   blackoutdallas

blackoutdallas

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

He is physical but also smart physically. One of the best hitters I've seen in Dallas in a while that can not only hit and rock people but keep it clean 90% of the time. Will use his body in his own end, and his defensive awareness and reaction in his zone have gotten better as he has played more at the NHL level. Yes not going to give you points really at all, but there is a reason he has had one of the best +/- in a crappy defensive town the last few years. He really is a good 5-6 Dman who can also kill penalties and get dirty when need be.

#11 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

A good acquisition and an Edmonton native, who'll more than likely want to stay when he becomes a UFA in July. I think we did OK parting with a 3rd rounder, too... The last decent 3rd rounder Edmonton picked who worked out well was Mike Comrie in '99.

He's still only 26 years old and there's still a lot more for him to contribute. I'm OK with the not a lot of scoring, he's a 3rd pairing D-Man, after all... We don't need them scoring, we need them hitting and fighting, when the needs be.

This probably spells the end of Theo Peckham's time as an Oiler, even when he returns from injury, but I'd take Fistric over Peckham anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

A good acquisition and an Edmonton native, who'll more than likely want to stay when he becomes a UFA in July. I think we did OK parting with a 3rd rounder, too... The last decent 3rd rounder Edmonton picked who worked out well was Mike Comrie in '99.

He's still only 26 years old and there's still a lot more for him to contribute. I'm OK with the not a lot of scoring, he's a 3rd pairing D-Man, after all... We don't need them scoring, we need them hitting and fighting, when the needs be.

This probably spells the end of Theo Peckham's time as an Oiler, even when he returns from injury, but I'd take Fistric over Peckham anyway.

My take:

-Let's see how he plays before we start talking about UFA deals. Moving into his age range, he's going to want a raise from $1.5/yr. Between that and Tambellini not having a great track record for getting value contracts, there's concern over how much you pay depth players, particularly ones who have never had more than 67 games.

-I agree that he doesn't have to score. I'm not saying he has to be a glorious puck mover, but if he can't take a pass or make a pass (and I haven't seen enough of him to say if this is the case), then it's a serious issue. Given his track record in Dallas, there's just no way that his defense is good enough that it saves as many goals as his lack of offense will cost any team he plays for. Third pairing guys don't have to be Paul Coffey, but you still always want the puck moving in the right direction.

-Again, we're talking about a bottom pairing guy here, so it's not the end of the world. He helps address a need the club has: depth, and it's always good to try and cover it. For too many years, the Oilers have done absolutely nothing in that department, so I'm always happy to see the attempt.

JR