Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bryce Salvador Named 10th Captain In Devils' History

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

There are other worthy candidates, but all indications are that 36-year-old Bryce Salvador will have the "C" sewn on his jersey.

"We’ve had some good discussions. I’m pretty close," coach Pete DeBoer said today, unable to hold back a smile suggesting the decision has been made if not formalized.

It would come as no surprise to teammates.

"I have a sense of who will be the captain," Patrik Elias said. "I would think Sal."

Elias said Salvador would be a good choice.

"He’s very well-liked. Probably a couple of guys here don’t like me. You can put that in," Elias said with a laugh.

Here

The rest of the article goes on to talk about Elias not playing in Europe and his final year on his contract.

This point has been edited by Erik C.: 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM
Just the title

#2 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I have a feeling this is more of speculation on Elias' part, but if not, what a curveball.

Not that I mind. I think Sal could be a good captain. A veteran, and the Devils have always been a defensive team. Putting the 'C' back on the blueline is like returning to their roots.

#3 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

It's more like speculation on Rich Chere's part. (Not that Sal doesn't deserve it.)

#4 OFFLINE   tk90

tk90

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,918 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:27
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Deserved, in my opionion. Or maybe I'm still bitter my Blues traded him for Janssen...

But in all seriousness, I'm with kmart; The "C" on him would be a good move.

#5 OFFLINE   HockeyKate30

HockeyKate30

Injured Reserve

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:30
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hmm.. Didnt expect that but I wouldnt be against it either.

#6 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Now it's official.

Devils coach Pete DeBoer announced after today’s practice that defenseman Bryce Salvador has been named captain.

Patrik Elias and Iyla Kovalchuk remain the alternate captains.

Salvador is the 10th captain in team history. He takes over the C from Zach Parise, who signed with Minnesota as unrestricted free agent last summer.

From F&I

#7 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Two years ago, Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador didn’t know if he would play another game in the NHL.

His remarkable comeback from a cochlear (inner ear) concussion that sidelined him for the entire 2010-11 season paid off with a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals last season and the announcement today that he had been selected as the 10th captain in Devils’ history.

Head coach Pete DeBoer announced the decision in a meeting before today’s practice Forwards Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk will remain the alternate captains.

“It’s a tremendous honor,” Salvador said. “I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey with the success and just the history they have and all the previous captains, for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor and sometimes it’s tough to put words to.”

Salvador, who will turn 36 on Feb. 11, inherits the C from Zach Parise, who signed with Minnesota as unrestricted free agent last summer. He is the first defenseman to be captain since Scott Niedermayer filled in for Scott Stevens, who was sidelined with a concussion, in 2004.

“The strength, I think, of our group is the depth of leadership in that room.” DeBoer said. “As tough as it was to pick a captain, it was tough to not put A’s on certain guys too. That’s a real strength for us. I think whomever I picked would have been right. Sal is a consummate pro, leads by example and has developed into a great leader and a great player in this league. So, it was a good choice by us, I think.”

Also from F&I