Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Strong finish motivates Blue Jackets' Umberger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,990 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

A few days after declaring last season too awful to properly describe, Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger ended it by scoring nine goals in the final nine games.
It was an overdue run of production that served as a reminder of the potency of the beleaguered left winger.

And it remains powerful motivation.

“The finish is all I can think about,” said Umberger, who is expected to begin his eighth NHL season next to center Derick Brassard and opposite second-year right winger Cam Atkinson on the Blue Jackets’ top line.

“None of us want to get off to the bad start like last year,” Umberger said. “We can’t have any dead weight at the start.”

Umberger, Brassard and center Antoine Vermette were expected to provide the Blue Jackets with a sizable cushion of secondary scoring last season.

It never inflated when it mattered.

More!

#2 ONLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,990 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

More will be required from Umberger and Brassard when the season begins on Saturday, especially in the absence of Rick Nash

^This

#3 OFFLINE   JacketsFan18

JacketsFan18

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 270 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:18
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

"Umberger, Brassard and center Antoine Vermette were expected to provide the Blue Jackets with a sizable cushion of secondary scoring last season."

Yeah...then Howson is a moron and gets rid of Vermette. Kinda like he did with Ray Whitney, Manny Malholtra, Commadore, Voracek....need I go on?

#4 ONLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,990 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

"Umberger, Brassard and center Antoine Vermette were expected to provide the Blue Jackets with a sizable cushion of secondary scoring last season."

Yeah...then Howson is a moron and gets rid of Vermette. Kinda like he did with Ray Whitney, Manny Malholtra, Commadore, Voracek....need I go on?

And how this guy still has a job is beyond me.

#5 OFFLINE   JacketsFan18

JacketsFan18

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 270 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:18
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

And how this guy still has a job is beyond me.

I thought when Davidson got his start in Columbus, his first thing would be to replace Howson. If anything, Howson is on a very short leash. I'm hoping he messes up...again.