Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Landeskog could be a captain for the ages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,427 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

The absence of any detectable European accent speaks to his ability to adapt and develop. Avalanche left winger Gabriel Landeskog, the youngest captain in NHL history, is a relentless learner, competitor and teammate, and already is considered one of the most respected players in the league.

"He's a natural-born leader," veteran goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere said of the 20-year-old Swede.
Landeskog, who will debut as the Avs' fourth captain in Saturday's season opener at Minnesota, arrived in North America at age 16 in 2009 to begin a two-year stint playing juniors in Kitchener, Ontario. He didn't like how he was originally treated.

"My accent, and the guys making fun of me — I just didn't want them to make fun of me, so I worked on getting rid of it," Landeskog said.

He gets rid of a lot of things he doesn't like, and embraces what he desires. He became the first European-born captain in the history of the Kitchener Rangers.

"Gabe's a freak of nature," Avs defenseman Erik Johnson said. "He's from Sweden, but sounds North American. He's 20 years old and acts 40 years old. He definitely fits the bill for a captain."

More!

#2 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,427 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Here's to your first year as Captain and many more!

#3 OFFLINE   tk90

tk90

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:27
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of giving the "C" to younger players, but so far this one seems to be working. I can't wait to see what else he brings this season, and then some!