Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stan Musial dies at age 92

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tk90

tk90

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:27
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Stan Musial, one of baseball's greatest hitters and a Hall of Famer with the St. Louis Cardinals for more than two decades, died Saturday. He was 92.

Stan the Man won seven National League batting titles, was a three-time MVP and helped the Cardinals capture three World Series championships in the 1940s.

The Cardinals announced Musial's death in a news release. They said he died Saturday evening at his home in Ladue surrounded by family. The team said Musial's son-in-law, Dave Edmonds, informed the club of Musial's death.

"It is a very sad day for me," Willie Mays told ESPN. "I knew Stan very well. He used to take care of me at All-Star games, 24 of them. He was a true gentleman who understood the race thing and did all he could. Again, a true gentleman on and off the field -- I never heard anybody say a bad word about him, ever."

Musial was so revered in St. Louis, two statues of him stand outside Busch Stadium. He spent his entire 22-year career with the Cardinals and made the All-Star team 24 times -- baseball held two All-Star games each summer for a few seasons.

ESPN.com/MLB

This point has been edited by tk90: 20 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

#2 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:10
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Stan The Man R.I.P. :blue:

#3 OFFLINE   JoeyHurricane

JoeyHurricane

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,700 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:18
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

My grandmother went to school with him. I have several autographed baseballs from him. One of which is in a gold pen. Crazy where I'm from has had Joe Montana, the Griffeys and Stan Musial. Kinda mega actually.