Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Leafs' Playoff Drought in Numbers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GWTLAH

GWTLAH

The NHL Arena

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Posted Image

Forget that nasty little Stanley Cup drought (you know, that 46-year-old elephant in the room?)—it’s ancient news. The Leafs need to master the baby steps first, and with the NHL returning to action on Saturday, we’re reminded that they’re the only team (out of 30) that hasn’t made the playoffs at least once since the previous league lockout in 2004–2005. Yes, optimism reigns, but don’t pull your finger too far away from the panic button; their seven-season string of non-qualifying is the longest in team history. A lot has happened—both on and off the ice—since they last hit the post-season. Here’s the breakdown.

Posted Image

Source is from my favourite weekly mag: http://www.thegridto...layoff-drought/

#2 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source is from my favourite weekly mag: http://www.thegridto...layoff-drought/

YOU FORGOT ABOUT HAVING TO PLAY "GOOD" TEAMS LIKE THE RANGERS !!! But, lets give them a break, short season guys just getting to know each other ( no camp)and of course their not wanting to spend , there has to be a team in financial problems willing to part with some players (like a tender)]

#3 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

YOU FORGOT ABOUT HAVING TO PLAY "GOOD" TEAMS LIKE THE RANGERS !!! But, lets give them a break, short season guys just getting to know each other ( no camp)and of course their not wanting to spend , there has to be a team in financial problems willing to part with some players (like a tender)]

That could be the case this summer.

#4 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

That could be the case this summer.

Your probably right BUT there seems to be something "cooking" with the media guys and a couple of the big ticket guys (Dionne P. and Kessell) going on the trade market . I'm not sure how the group feels about Kessel but I think he has better than average trade value that with his contract and history as a goal scorer plus , is he happy here should bring a 1 or 2 line guy as well as a 1st rounder and Dionne P., he might be worth paying but even he has to "pick it up " . The team really is'nt hurting on "D" on the team and farm. A top 5 pick sure would be nice.

This point has been edited by gcc: 28 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

#5 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Your probably right BUT there seems to be something "cooking" with the media guys and a couple of the big ticket guys (Dionne P. and Kessell) going on the trade market . I'm not sure how the group feels about Kessel but I think he has better than average trade value that with his contract and history as a goal scorer plus , is he happy here should bring a 1 or 2 line guy as well as a 1st rounder and Dionne P., he might be worth paying but even he has to "pick it up " . The team really is'nt hurting on "D" on the team and farm. A top 5 pick sure would be nice.

That's a whole different ball of wax, trading players like that. My summation is that if they aren't making the playoffs with those players, just like they haven't for years now, why not?

It may be time to do old fashioned rebuild properly.

#6 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,734 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

With that said, the Lupul signing sure doesn't suggest they are going to reset anything.

#7 ONLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

With that said, the Lupul signing sure doesn't suggest they are going to reset anything.

But with him injured for so long, now what?

#8 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

What the leafs need is an overhaul! they need a Billionare to take over and make some serious changes! maybe thats just my soccer conscious talking.

#9 ONLINE   Munchausen

Munchausen

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

So I'm about twenty lottery wins away from getting the Leafs. I'm on it.

#10 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,333 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

So I'm about twenty lottery wins away from getting the Leafs. I'm on it.

I've started collecting empty bottles out of neighbor's recycling bins. I'll be your minority partner in no time.

#11 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I've started collecting empty bottles out of neighbor's recycling bins. I'll be your minority partner in no time.

Come on L.S. , theres a lot of long time fans of not only hockey but the leafs and in this short season and the way their playing I'm sure there is a few who have renewed their faith , I know, me , well,the things Randy and his crew have done to set the "D" and allowed Kadri to go back to his old position(I,m sure this had a lot to do with the marlie staff, (hard to break old marlie habits once a marlie always a marlie) plus foreward "D" setup. All this puts the team in a real good playoff position. We (tor.) have a few injuries, as well as players who just can't get out of the seats. With the "extras" and the current team , we are probably looking at a 2 round team. So, if a strategic move was made, just how far could this team go? Its real early but just tons of things could happen, like make the playoffs.