Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Kings @ Oilers ~ 1/24/13

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,394 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Pick Your Winner!

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Forget go Oil!

I'm back to just don't embarrass yourselves please.

#3 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,394 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Forget go Oil!

:pinch:

#4 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Forget go Oil!

Sad but true. I actually tried the reverse psychology vote and said the Kings will win.

#5 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

We need to play Fistric on Thursday. We need a smart defensive defenceman out there on the ice. I want Potter to be scratched, his play in the first 2 games cost us two goals that wouldn't have happened. Look at the first Vancouver goal, Dubnyk would have had that if Potter wasn't in the way and the roughing penalty he took in the 1st period against the Sharks? Unnecessary and it cost us a goal. He's not an NHL-calibre defenceman.

This is the problem the Oilers have had for years... Penalties. Taking stupid penalties...

I'm hoping that we play Dubnyk as well against the Kings. His morale might be shaky, but we need to show that we have faith in him. The Sharks' 6 goals on Tuesday night weren't entirely his fault.

This point has been edited by SAVE_ME.222: 23 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

#6 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Fistric is drawing in.

#7 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Who is sitting?

#8 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Who is sitting?

I'd be very surprised if it weren't Potter. Whitney's on one leg, but he still has that outlet pass. The only time we see a Potter/Fistric pairing is if Whitney is hurt.

JR

#9 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

January 24, 2013
Rexall Place, Edmonton, Alberta

Television:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Radio:
Posted Image
Posted Image

From NHL.com.

Season series: Thursday's game marks the first of three meetings between the Los Angeles Kings and Edmonton Oilers. The Western Conference foes collide again at Rexall Place on Feb. 19 before closing their head-to-head slate April 6 at Staples Center. The clubs split their four-game series in 2011-12.

Big story: The defending Stanley Cup champion Kings are in search of their first win as they continue their three-game road trip with this stop in Edmonton. The Oilers hope to bounce back two days after a lopsided 6-3 home loss to the San Jose Sharks.

Team scope:

Kings: Last spring, the Kings became the first eighth-seeded team in League history to raise the Stanley Cup. Though their memorable postseason was defined by timely goal-scoring and stellar play by Jonathan Quick, their goaltender did not have much support during the regular season. The Kings sported the NHL's second-worst goals-per-game average (2.29; Minnesota Wild, 2.02).

Two games into this season, it's a similar story. The Kings have mustered three goals in two games, and Quick has struggled with eight goals allowed. They welcomed back leading scorer Anze Kopitar from injury for Tuesday's game, but were held off the scoreboard in the final two periods of a 3-1 loss at the Colorado Avalanche.

"Players are going to go through periods where they don’t score," Kings coach Darryl Sutter told LAKingsInsider.com after practice Wednesday. "That's going to happen. We're just trying to get them there. It's one of those things with a 48-game schedule. It's not about what you did or what you think, it's about what you're doing."

Oilers: Rookie phenoms Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz scored their first NHL goals in Edmonton's home opener Tuesday, but they were overshadowed in a game that was virtually over after 20 minutes. San Jose's Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau each scored twice in the first period, and the Sharks chased Devan Dubnyk with six goals on 17 shots.

The Oilers want to use the defeat as motivation Thursday.

"We forgot what was going on behind us," Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid told the team's website. "We forgot how to play defense. That's what happened and it can't happen again. It was a disaster."

Who's hot: The Kings' offense has been quiet, but it received a lift from its fourth line Tuesday. Kyle Clifford, who went pointless in three games last postseason, helped L.A. open the scoring with a first-period goal. … Edmonton forward Jordan Eberle, who led the American Hockey League in scoring during the work stoppage, had two assists Tuesday after scoring a goal in the NHL season opener Sunday against the Vancouver Canucks.

Injury report: Kings defenseman Matt Greene (back) was placed on injured reserve this week and reportedly will miss the remainder of the season. Willie Mitchell (knee surgery) practiced this week and is with the team on its current road swing. … The Oilers are expected to be without Ben Eager (concussion), Andy Sutton (knee), Theo Peckham (hip flexor), Ryan Jones (eye) and Nikolai Khabibulin (hip).

Expected In Goal:
Posted Image
(Not confirmed as of post time.)

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

All that PP time for both teams and no one scores? Back to the drawing board.

#11 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Awesome 1st 20 minutes from the Oilers.

:)

#12 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Wow. That was some finish.

#13 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

What a ridonkulous finish.

#14 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Give an assist to the buck toothed bald headed Edmontononians for throwing trash on the ice... :whistling:

Great Game, Great Win!!

This point has been edited by chicken wing: 25 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

#15 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

That was the most silly, crazy, frustrating, yet exhilarating hockey game I have watched in some time.

#16 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

That was the most silly, crazy, frustrating, yet exhilarating hockey game I have watched in some time.

Kind of ran through the whole range, didn't it? I thought for a while they were using the NFL replacement refs, then I realized the replacement refs were better. So many goofy calls both ways and it completed disrupted the flow of the game. The refs simply should not have that much influence over a game. It was an embarrassment. But the ending was still worth it.

#17 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'll get my Plus/Minus in here before JR: Posted Image

Pluses:
Dubnyk showed he can shake off a bad game and play well.
Yakupov is starting to build his confidence in spite of a few lapses, including the one he had on the PP that Dubnyk bailed him out of
The Oilers can really run an efficient power play in spite of only scoring on the one in OT. If they continue to have a PP like that, they should be again challenging for the best in the league.
The defensive play and PK were a couple orders of magnitude better than the last game.
Even with all the adversity of that game, they battled through and got 2 points. Huge for confidence for a young team going forward.

Minuses:
Nick Schultz was supposed to be the big shutdown guy and that's why we traded Gilbert for him. The LA goal was directly off not one, but two miscues. The guy has to be better.
Discipline has to get better. Yes, the reffing was bad, but they can't put themselves in the position continually to allow the ref to make those marginal calls.

#18 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'll get my Plus/Minus in here before JR: Posted Image
Discipline has to get better. Yes, the reffing was bad, but they can't put themselves in the position continually to allow the ref to make those marginal calls.

Watch out for the cease and desist letter. ;)

JR

#19 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Last night's game is one of those times where you can pull out (that's what she said) that tired old high school yearbook entry of "It was a wild and crazy roller coaster ride." It really was. A combination of new rules (I still really don't get the concealing the puck or faceoff delay rules) and the refs using the large print edition of the NHL rulebook meant that the game was a special teams parade.

* Craig beat me to some of the plus and minus points I was going to bring up, so I'll mention some other things instead.

Plus
-Justin Schultz played 27 minutes last night, and is steadily being rewarded by coach Krueger. Game #1 min: 20:52, Game #2: 23.41, Game 3: 26:51. He continues to move the puck well and makes good decisions in his own end. He's going to make mistakes, but talking heads who spoke of his defense as if he were awful really don't know much about him.
-One leftover habit of mine from being a fan before there was the huge amount of TV coverage we now have, was listening for player's name during radio boradcasts. The more times you heard his name during play, the more he was around the puck, had it, and was creating chances. Basically, the more you heard his name, the better he was playing. I still pay attention to it, instead of passively watching, and damned if you're not always hearing the name "Taylor Hall". From blocking an empty-netter late in the 3rd to getting the assist on Yakupov's goal, Hall was all over the place.
-I like how Nail Yakupov wears his heart on his sleeve. There's nothing wrong with being reserved or being an 18-year old rookie who knows how to give all of the pat answers and has every cliche down, but it's also refreshing to see somebody who has no concept of the word pretense.

Minus
-The PP moves puck so well, but they miss the net quite a bit on the shots. This is a percentages kind of thing, so that could quickly change for a spell, but it's always a good thing to force the goalie to make a save.
-Some of the calls last night were bizarre, but the team still takes too many penalties.
-Teemu Hartikainen is quickly playing himself out of minutes, and it's really a shame. He played well in OKC, made a positive impression at camp, and has now played 3 games where he's really made no impression. He's been moved from the 3rd line now down to the 4th. Next up: healthy scratch so Darcy Hordichuk can play 3 or 4 shifts.

Best F - Taylor Hall (Yes, Yak had the big goal, but he also made a few rookie mistakes which sent pucks back the wrong way. Hall was strong at both ends)
Best D - Justin Schultz

Ralph Krueger
-Did the right thing and found a way to get PRV more ice time. The 94-10 line will play tough minutes this year, and it's important they have a winger who can do that. Paajarvi is that guy, aside from having very nice tools for that job.
-Went right back with Devan Dubnyk which was absolutely the right call.

JR

#20 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

A game so good, I watched it twice in this last 24 hours.

Absolutely agreed with the 3 stars. I expected Dubnyk would receive one after the first 20 minutes were done. Fantastic goaltending by both teams and what an awesome way for Mark Fistric to introduce himself to the Oilers faithful with his big hit(s) on Jordan Nolan.

I don't do the Plus/Minus thing on games, I just call it how I see it. We wanted this game more than the Kings did. I felt excitement, nervous, frustration, jubilation and relief, all of which is what I love about the good ol' hockey game.

I don't know if any of you guys watch football (soccer), but the Oilers comeback was akin to something Manchester United did in the 1999 Champions League Final, against Bayern Munich.

Awesome stuff!