Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Islanders @ Leafs: 01/24/2013

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Leafer4Life

Leafer4Life

Toronto Maple Leafs

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 536 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image @ Posted Image

Date:Thursday January 24th, 2013
Time: 7:00 PM EST
Television: LEAFS TV & MSG PLUS

Islanders start five-game trip in Toronto
Wednesday, 01.23.2013 / 11:26 PM
John Kreiser - NHL.com Columnist

ISLANDERS (1-1-0) at MAPLE LEAFS (2-1-0)

Season Series: It's the first of three meetings between the Eastern Conference rivals. Toronto won the first three games last season before the Islanders took the finale 5-3 at Air Canada Centre in March.

Top Story: The Islanders, who've had two days off since beating Tampa Bay on Monday afternoon, start a five-game, eight-day road trip with a visit to Toronto. The Leafs are back home after spoiling the Penguins' home opener on Wednesday with a 5-2 win at Pittsburgh, giving them a 2-1-0 record and only four goals allowed in three games.

Team Scope:

Islanders: After starting their season by splitting a pair of games at home, the Islanders play their first game away from the Nassau Coliseum as they begin a five-game trip. With nine newcomers on the roster, including several who joined the team during training camp, it's a good chance for everyone to get to know each other.

"This is perfect timing for us," coach Jack Capuano said. "I think any time, early in the season especially, when you can get on the road and bond a little bit, the guys come together. We're going into some tough buildings, but with the new faces, this should be a good trip for us."

If they're going to build on Monday's 4-3 home win against Tampa Bay, the Islanders will have to solve the third-period problems that have plagued them in recent years. The Isles led 4-0 when David Ullstrom scored early in the third period; that goal wound up as the game-winner when New York surrendered three goals in less than six minutes before shutting the door on the Lightning.

Maple Leafs: After starting their season by winning 2-1 at Montreal and losing 2-1 at home to Buffalo, the Leafs broke out offensively against the Penguins while not forgetting their defensive responsibilities. The line of Mikhail Grabovski, James van Riemsdyk and Nikolai Kulemin accounted for three goals and seven points, while James Reimer made 28 saves to win his first start of the season.

Van Riemsdyk had two goals and an assist one day after receiving a talking to from coach Randy Carlyle after a sluggish start.

"It's always nice when you have a conversation with a player about getting into the dirty areas and doing some little things and he comes out... and has a three-point night," Carlyle said. "I guess you can say you'd be pretty happy with that.

"But it's not done specifically to criticize the player; it's done to motivate the player and help him. He understood. It's not like he's been out-and-out terrible; it was just that he needed to step up his game, and we needed his physical presence and him taking the puck to the net and needed his offense."

Who's Hot: Toronto-area native John Tavares had a pair of assists on Monday. … Kulemin had three assists in the win at Pittsburgh, his first three points of the season.

Injury report: The Islanders are still without forwards Josh Bailey (knee) and Jesse Joensuu (groin). … Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul left Wednesday's game in the second period with a fractured right forearm after he was hit by a shot from teammate Dion Phaneuf. He's likely to miss at least six weeks.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This point has been edited by Leafer4Life: 24 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

LET'S GO ISLANDERS ! ! ! !

#3 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,683 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Sorry, Islanders. I just got my good luck recliner. You have no hope in hell, now.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Sorry, Islanders. I just got my good luck recliner. You have no hope in hell, now.

Posted Image
I am picturing you in it right now....

#5 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,683 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image
I am picturing you in it right now....

Not a bad looking chair.

Probably more suited for the basement, mind you... :whistling:

#6 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Ill have to take your word for that, LS... youve seen a LOT more basement in your lifetime than I have!
Which is pretty amazing, actually lol.

#7 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,683 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Ill have to take your word for that, LS... youve seen a LOT more basement in your lifetime than I have!
Which is pretty amazing, actually lol.

Feisty!

#8 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hmm... Do I DARE bring the picture over from Facebook? :lol2:

#9 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,683 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sure, I like that picture. Heh.

I might be going to the game tonight... gonna know soon.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

In light of LS and his coveting of JT, funny stuff: {link}

#11 OFFLINE   Munchausen

Munchausen

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Is it me or does Moulson always step it up against Toronto? Wish I knew the lineups.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Is it me or does Moulson always step it up against Toronto? Wish I knew the lineups.

Wish I could say that about the rest of the Isles!

3-1 Toronto after one.

#13 OFFLINE   Munchausen

Munchausen

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well we're all tied up now midways in the 2nd.

#14 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,083 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

And in other news the Leafs need a goalie and their coach sucks.

I don't gripe about coaches often but I have decided I despise Randy Carlyle. This loss is all square on him. He had the team step on the brakes and trap. The idiot doesnt have a team for that style. Also any fool could have seen Scrivens was way off and 3 soft goals are inexcusable. This was a win that was sabotaged by shit coaching.

This point has been edited by Potvin29: 24 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

#15 OFFLINE   Charles

Charles

Injury Call Up

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 34 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:27

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

That was a great win for the isles tonight

#16 ONLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,128 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Toronto got BOZAK'D!!!

#17 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

JFC the Isles were a different team after those PKs at the end of the first period!
Howie Rose said that was the most goals the Isles have ever scored on their road opener. Like, ever.

Happy TMC!

I guess maybe LS should have had his butt in his recliner instead of leaving it and going to the game lol.

#18 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

And in other news the Leafs need a goalie and their coach sucks.

I don't gripe about coaches often but I have decided I despise Randy Carlyle. This loss is all square on him. He had the team step on the brakes and trap. The idiot doesnt have a team for that style. Also any fool could have seen Scrivens was way off and 3 soft goals are inexcusable. This was a win that was sabotaged by shit coaching.

do I ever agree with you !! They are not a trap team . My feelings , well, I'll hold them back but it has a lot to do with the departed Burke and what he left behind. We can blame the tenders which is "fair" but in this case, as they "slept" , where the hell was the "D" ? Or was it Carlyle's changes? What ever, anyway, the tenders are just not ready.

#19 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,083 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

do I ever agree with you !! They are not a trap team . My feelings , well, I'll hold them back but it has a lot to do with the departed Burke and what he left behind. We can blame the tenders which is "fair" but in this case, as they "slept" , where the hell was the "D" ? Or was it Carlyle's changes? What ever, anyway, the tenders are just not ready.

Carlyle tried to throw the team under the bus after the game. Laughable to me. He went on about how the team just completely disappeared but it's quite obvious he made a very significant strategy change. The team stopped pressing completely. To a man. That doesn't just happen. An entire team doesn't just fall back into a lousy trap without some coach taking notice. They were rushing all first period and then in the 2nd and 3rd they were trying to clog the neutral zone. That is an implemented change or at the very least should have been something Carlyle spotted immediately and changed. Complaining about how his team got tired and quit on him is piss poor. Ron Wilson never made those excuses.

I never liked this guy when he was hired. He has the completely wrong team to work here. Too many smaller skill players. He has little size and his D is all mobility. When this team wins it's because they run and gun 60 full minutes. Thats the only way they are going to win this year. They have to wear down their opponents with speed and skill. Trapping or blue collar cycling will only work for the 3rd and 4th lines but the top 6 have to keep pushing the pace. Back to back games will be no excuse. Everyone has to do it.

As to the goalies. I get it, Scrivens was in better game shape but even in the first period he looked shakey. Reimer has more NHL experience and should be the go to guy. Sure back to back. Again ok. But Reimer is well rested. Even with Reimer in net I am not sure it would have mattered but I care less about goaltending than I do about the coach giving the game away. As it is I do not think Scrivens is ready to be an NHL full time tender and in a shortened season Carlyle has to get one of these guys going fast. With Reimer being the more experienced option his choice to run him as backup cannot be helping the confidence levels here what with all the Luongo rumors swirling. Maybe Carlyle is showcasing Scrivens as a package in the deal? Who knows.

#20 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,683 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

JFC the Isles were a different team after those PKs at the end of the first period!
Howie Rose said that was the most goals the Isles have ever scored on their road opener. Like, ever.

Happy TMC!

I guess maybe LS should have had his butt in his recliner instead of leaving it and going to the game lol.

I won't be making that mistake tonight against the Rangers.

As for Carlyle, I have been quite impressed with him early into this season. Yes, the game took a real bad turn, but we're not out of the woods yet, when it comes to growing pains.