Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Devils giving Matteau a look on top line; Tedenby dropped to fourth line

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

From F&I

Rookie left wing Stefan Matteau has been moved up to the top line with Travis Zajac and Ilya Kovalchuk for the Devils’ practice today at Prudential Center.

Matteau, who was drafted 29th overall by the Devils last June, played mostly on the fourth line in the Devils’ first three games. The 18-year-old had one shift with Zajac and Kovlachuk in Friday’s 3-2 overtime win over Washington, but, with all the special teams time, he played only 5:49 and didn’t get a shift in the third period or overtime.

Mattias Tedenby, who played with Zajac and Kovalchuk Friday night but barely played in the third period and OT (his two shifts in the third came after he served bench minors), has been moved to Matteau’s usual spot at left wing on the fourth line with Jacob Josefson and Cam Janssen. Janssen was a healthy scratch Friday, but is back on the fourth line today.

The rest... just like Maryanne

Like I said the other night, nobody said it was gonna be easy to find the right body to play with Kovy and Zajac. (Or with the words I used, find a body to fill Parise's old spot.)

#2 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Like I said the other night, nobody said it was gonna be easy to find the right body to play with Kovy and Zajac. (Or with the words I used, find a body to fill Parise's old spot.)

Absolutely right. I expect to see a lot of players shuffled in there before DeBoer just settles with someone.

#3 OFFLINE   Imber

Imber

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,205 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Zubrus didn't work?

#4 OFFLINE   kmart890

kmart890

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Zubrus didn't work?

I don't think he was a case of didn't work, but the coaching staff is just trying out to see who else does work.

#5 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I would have to agree. It's nice to have options. Plus it was a shot for Matteau to impress.

Truth be told, though, he didn't, but he didn't suck, either. He's been steady, like his previous games.

My assessment: I don't think he'll stay past Tuesday. He would have had to have been lights out for it to happen. Nothing against his play at all, though. He showed some good things.