Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Avalanche @ Oilers ~ 1/28/13

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,986 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Pick Your Winner!

#2 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

We need to bounce back from the terrible display we had against CGY last night. I don't know about my fellow Oilers or even Flames fans, but that was no Battle of Alberta. Darcy Hordichuk played a grand total of 1:11 in the entire game, whilst poor Hartikainen had to watch him take his place from the press box. Great contribution...

No hitting from the Oilers, with the exception of Mark Fistric, to force the Flames off the puck. Calgary had puck possession for far too long in the game and our Smid-Petry line was absolutely shocking.

Worst of all... No fights!? What the hell? Where's Steve MacIntyre and Raitis Ivanans when you need them!?

Absolutely boring game. I introduced my brother to ice hockey last night, as we live in the UK and he doesn't know much about it. I really hyped the Battle of Alberta as a significant Oilers game. The Oilers and the Flames both made me out to look like a liar, so thanks a bunch...

These divisional games are the most important games that we play in the season, so nothing less than a win against a struggling Avalanche team is necessary.

#3 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,736 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

In need of a rebound game for sure.

#4 OFFLINE   irishsaint55

irishsaint55

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:5
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

oh hey no Landeskog tonight because of a head injury. hmm wonder how that happened? because a shoulder to shoulder clean legal hit no matter how hard dosen't make someone bleed from their nose and gives them a head injury. Anyway excited to see these teams play Edmonton is probably my 2nd favorite team it just sucks they are in the same division. Always a fast paced open game which I love

#5 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,736 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

oh hey no Landeskog tonight because of a head injury. hmm wonder how that happened? because a shoulder to shoulder clean legal hit no matter how hard dosen't make someone bleed from their nose and gives them a head injury. Anyway excited to see these teams play Edmonton is probably my 2nd favorite team it just sucks they are in the same division. Always a fast paced open game which I love

I was wonder what happened to him ......

That's a tough loss.

#6 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

January 28, 2013
Rexall Place, Edmonton, Alberta

Television:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Radio:
Posted Image
Posted Image

From NHL.com.

Season series: This is the first of five meetings for these Northwest Division rivals. The teams split their six season meetings last season, with Edmonton winning two of three matchups at Rexall Place.

Big story: Both Colorado and Edmonton have shown flashes of class thus far this season – both have wins over the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings, for example – but each enter Monday’s game on the heels of a loss. Colorado was overwhelmed by San Jose in a 4-0 loss Saturday afternoon, and Edmonton’s comeback bid fell short later that night in a 4-3 loss to Calgary in the Battle of Alberta.

Team scope:

Avalanche: In their first game of a four-game road swing, Colorado entered San Jose hoping to stick with the undefeated Sharks. And, at least in the full-strength situations, they did. But penalties cost Colorado dearly, as the Sharks’ third-ranked power play converted three of six opportunities en route to a 4-0 victory. Colorado had outscored opponents 7-1 heading into the contest, and the shutout was the first in six games dating back to March 28 of last season.

Even with the offensive inconsistency and defensive indiscipline the Sharks exposed, Colorado will feel lucky to leave HP Pavilion with no more damage done. Avs captain Gabriel Landeskog was leveled late in the first period by a furious Brad Stuart hit. Landeskog skated off after the hit but returned to the game, and afterward called it a clean hit.

"I thought it was a hard hit. I haven't seen it but I think it was a clean hit or felt like a clean hit," Landeskog said. "It was hard, that much I could tell you. I was reaching for the puck and didn't brace myself enough, Stuart stepped up and that's the way hockey always is. It was a big one. I knew he was there, but I didn't think he was coming at me. Then he came and I saw him at the last second but not nearly early enough.”

Oilers: On Saturday, Edmonton, losers of 15 of their last 18 against rival Calgary, looked poised to turn the tides against their Alberta rival. The Oilers had just come off a huge 2-1 overtime win over Los Angeles as the Flames sputtered to an 0-2-1 record to start the season. Calgary had something else in mind, however, as the Flames jumped out to an early 2-0 lead they never relinquished. The early deficit was nothing new for Edmonton – the Oilers are 2-2-0 despite not having led at any point this season, just over 248 minutes of game time -- but the youngsters in Edmonton weren't able to mount the comeback that won them points against Vancouver and LA.

"Getting behind all the time - especially on the road - you're going to have trouble consistently taking points out of that so we need to rectify that and work on that quickly," coach Ralph Krueger said.

Who’s hot: For all the fanfare surrounding No. 1 overall pick Nail Yakupov, another Oilers rookie is making the bigger impression thus far. Defenseman Justin Schultz has two goals and three assists through four games, including a goal and assist against the Flames.

Injury report: For Edmonton, Ben Eager (concussion), Nikolai Khabibulin (hip) and Theo Peckham (hip) are all day-to-day while Ryan Jones (eye) and Andy Sutton (knee) are out indefinitely. … Colorado is healthy.

Yeah, bullshit! Right, Irishsaint? :lol2:

Expected In Goal:
Posted Image

Posted Image

This point has been edited by Erik C.: 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

#7 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,736 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Come on boys, a game you have to be in!

Go Oil!

#8 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,310 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Let's start with maybe actually taking a lead in the game.

#9 OFFLINE   irishsaint55

irishsaint55

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:5
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, bullshit! Right, Irishsaint? :lol2:[

haha exactly.

This point has been edited by irishsaint55: 28 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

#10 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,736 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wouldn't that be novel?

#11 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

We need to bounce back from the terrible display we had against CGY last night. I don't know about my fellow Oilers or even Flames fans, but that was no Battle of Alberta. Darcy Hordichuk played a grand total of 1:11 in the entire game, whilst poor Hartikainen had to watch him take his place from the press box. Great contribution...

No hitting from the Oilers, with the exception of Mark Fistric, to force the Flames off the puck. Calgary had puck possession for far too long in the game and our Smid-Petry line was absolutely shocking.

Worst of all... No fights!? What the hell? Where's Steve MacIntyre and Raitis Ivanans when you need them!?

Absolutely boring game. I introduced my brother to ice hockey last night, as we live in the UK and he doesn't know much about it. I really hyped the Battle of Alberta as a significant Oilers game. The Oilers and the Flames both made me out to look like a liar, so thanks a bunch...

These divisional games are the most important games that we play in the season, so nothing less than a win against a struggling Avalanche team is necessary.

In the minor leagues, where guys who can't play hockey belong...

Anyway, I really do get your general feeling: the game was NOT physical (at least not on the Oilers behalf), and was a pretty listless game for them. Even when down two goals in the 3rd, they didn't even seem to be pressing all that much, or trying to get pucks towards the net. Frustrating game.

JR

#12 OFFLINE   HockeyLady82

HockeyLady82

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 282 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Rooting for the AVS to win this one... :yes:

#13 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Good call!

#14 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

LETS GO AVALANCHE...

No Landy tonight, so the Stastny line cant suck its usual amount

#15 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

was that Johnson who missed Hall by a mile....

#16 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

yes... yes it was :facepalm:

#17 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

yayyyy the penalty kill is back....

but where was the holding?

#18 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Avs kill it

the Oil take an interference penalty....

#19 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

you guys know, that every time you spend 30 seconds fucking around in the neutral zone, I die a little inside....

#20 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

and the third line gets the best/only scoring chance on the powerplay....