Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Expansion Around The Corner?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

The topic of relocation and/or expansion has been on the minds of hockey fans for some time now and it just won't go away.

When the NHL looked at realignment thanks to the Thrashers' move to Winnipeg, it seemed apparent two more teams would fit nicely in a new-look league. The proposed format would have left two conferences with eight teams, two with seven. It would have created an imbalanced league of sorts so from that standpoint, two additional teams makes sense.

Then you have the rise of two or three potential NHL markets further adding to speculation. Quebec City is in the process of building a new arena that doesn't have a tenant; they have been discussing a new arena in the greater Toronto area; and Seattle seems like it's about to begin building a new arena if the sale of the NBA's Sacramento Kings goes through and they become the Seattle SuperSonics again. Prospective Sonics owner Chris Hansen has said how it would be his desire to have an NHL team in the arena to help cover costs.

While the league has said it has no intentions of expanding, the rumors just won't go away. After all, the league has said it wouldn't do a lot of things in the past only to do them a short while later. Bombastic player agent Allan Walsh maintains you can ignore the claims from the league and expect two new additions.

Read more from Brian Stubits

#2 Guest_Rome_*

Guest_Rome_*

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Always felt Cleveland and Milwaukee should have teams. Lots of hockey played in those cities.

#3 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

There's no way Cleveland will be able to support an NHL team right now. (History notwithstanding.) I'm curious about Milwaukee, but they're probably gonna have to get in line.

#4 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

There's no way Cleveland will be able to support an NHL team right now. (History notwithstanding.) I'm curious about Milwaukee, but they're probably gonna have to get in line.

In line behind all the Canadian teams, haha.

What Winnipeg just did, the NHL would be stupid not to keep bringing teams up from the states.

#5 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,687 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

How bout Atlanta.... third time is the charm :munch_h4h:

#6 ONLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,954 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I still think they expand by 2 at some point, yes.

#7 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I still think they expand by 2 at some point, yes.

Probably out west! Helps with putting the two ETZ teams playing in the ETZ.

#8 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:36
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

The problem with Milwaukee is that the Bradley Center is an older arena and would likely need to get updated. I know that the Milwaukee Bucks want a new arena but the money isnt there right now.
I would absolutely LOVE to see an NHL team in Milwaukee and I believe the team would be successful because people in Wisconsin love Badger hockey. I mean, every year they have the highest attendance in all of college hockey (about 16,000 per game on average), so I cant believe that an NHL team wouldnt be successful.
Maybe Herb Kohl should finally sell the Bucks and invest the money in an NHL team. As for, "getting in line", I think the NHL needs to look at whats best for the game. Does Quebec really deserve an NHL team? They had one before and lost it because it was too small of a market to support a team. Its one thing if a city loses their team because of a greedy owner, its another when they run into financial problems because of a small market.

#9 OFFLINE   Old School Hockey

Old School Hockey

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:80

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

The problem with Milwaukee is that the Bradley Center is an older arena and would likely need to get updated. I know that the Milwaukee Bucks want a new arena but the money isnt there right now.
I would absolutely LOVE to see an NHL team in Milwaukee and I believe the team would be successful because people in Wisconsin love Badger hockey. I mean, every year they have the highest attendance in all of college hockey (about 16,000 per game on average), so I cant believe that an NHL team wouldnt be successful.
Maybe Herb Kohl should finally sell the Bucks and invest the money in an NHL team. As for, "getting in line", I think the NHL needs to look at whats best for the game. Does Quebec really deserve an NHL team? They had one before and lost it because it was too small of a market to support a team. Its one thing if a city loses their team because of a greedy owner, its another when they run into financial problems because of a small market.

IMO the NHL doesn't have a revenue structure to support a Milwaukee team. But who knows?

#10 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

How bout Atlanta.... third time is the charm :munch_h4h:

(snickers)

I see Atlanta getting an AHL team first before they try the bigs again.

#11 Guest_CoalKing_*

Guest_CoalKing_*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

May sound absurd, and of course it will nvr happen, but how about Louisville, KY? New KFC Yum! Food Center downtown with a 22,000 seat capacity. One of the newest arenas built in the US. Louisville is no stranger to Hockey, as in the 90's, the Louisville IceHawks were the minor league affiliate to the Pittsburg Penguins in the ECHL.

#12 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I could see the AHL returning there then.

#13 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,627 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Kentucky? I'm all for it!

#14 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

May sound absurd, and of course it will nvr happen, but how about Louisville, KY? New KFC Yum! Food Center downtown with a 22,000 seat capacity. One of the newest arenas built in the US. Louisville is no stranger to Hockey, as in the 90's, the Louisville IceHawks were the minor league affiliate to the Pittsburg Penguins in the ECHL.

Seems very far fetched.

#15 ONLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

New home of the Coyotes? :zipped_h4h: