Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Oilers @ Coyotes ~ 1/30/13

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Center

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

The whole thing with the Coyotes refusing to leave the ice was a little strange, and comments from Tippett left me no more satisfied with the reason. He was adamant the goal should have been waved off because the shot from Hall bounced off the back of Whitney's glove before Yakupov put it in. I really don't get it at all.

Oh. And... What's with various media outfits putting all of the post-game stuff on Yakupov's celebration? What celebration? He stood there. Replays showed pretty clearly that Morris wasn't even looking at Yakupov, and was exchanging words with Whitney well before.

Plus
-Nail Yakupov has 4 goals in 6 games, and he's still clearly learning on the job. Hopefully, it's a nice sign for when he gets a better feel for the pace and space on the ice.
-Devan Dubnyk quietly played another solid game and may get a little respect if this continues. Not that this sort of thing is important, but isn't Dubnyk about as flashy as Ben Stein out there? Maybe the guys at TSN would get more excited about him if he whipped out the glove on a few routine saves...
-The 4th line all played well last night. Really good forecheck, and it was Lennart Petrell's best game in the NHL. It allowed Ralph Krueger to roll all of his lines, which could help them out a lot with a game right away today, against the Sharks. If Krueger had been forced to ride 4-93-14 hard and put them away wet, it would be a near disaster against San Jose. This gives them a better shot.

Minus
-Justin Schultz's game was limited by a focus on physical play by the Coyotes. Not the last time he'll encounter it, and will need to learn how to deal with it (as I'm sure he has at lower levels before).
-Not nice of Derek Morris to beat up on a cripple after the game was over.
-I thought Corey Potter absolutely looked like a career AHLer out there last night. Was caught out of position on a number of occasions, and seemed lost. I imagine with a big Sharks team up next, Fistric takes Potter's spot.

Ralph Krueger
-I'm sure that Horcoff being unavailable for the rest of the game didn't help out at all, but there must have been somebody else other than Nugent-Hopkins for Krueger to put on the ice with a 6-on-4 to kill off. I don't think that rHop gets enough credit for his backchecking or puck stealing skills, but this is a completely different situation in which to play, and not one where he's put in a great position to succeed.
-Hoping that with a bigger team to play against tonight, Krueger doesn't give in to temptation and play Hordichuk. Will have to wait and see.

Best F - Lennart Petrell! Scored his 1st, blocked shots, helped keep the puck deep, and played 15 minutes. Best game of his NHL career.
Best D - Oilers best defenseman last night was (wait for it) Ryan Whitney. I thought he kept himself in good position/shape out there, made strong passes, and mixed it up to get involved for the game winner. Best game of the year.

JR

#42 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Pretty ugly hockey from both teams if you ask me. With that said the Oilers ground out 2 points in a barn they have had all sorts of problems in, so I'll take it!!

Didn't like Morris throwing punches when the game is over though. Unnecessary IMO.

#43 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

The whole thing with the Coyotes refusing to leave the ice was a little strange, and comments from Tippett left me no more satisfied with the reason. He was adamant the goal should have been waved off because the shot from Hall bounced off the back of Whitney's glove before Yakupov put it in. I really don't get it at all.

Wow...I left just before the end of the 3rd. I listened to the radio and turned it off the second OT ended so I missed all this drama. Wow.

#44 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Pretty ugly hockey from both teams if you ask me. With that said the Oilers ground out 2 points in a barn they have had all sorts of problems in, so I'll take it!!

Didn't like Morris throwing punches when the game is over though. Unnecessary IMO.

It was a horrible game by both teams. I'm not ripping on the Oilers but I saw how bad the Coyotes were playing and couldn't believe it was only a one goal game. That's how I knew the Oilers must've been playing bad too. It could've/should've been 6-7 to zero by end of the second. lol