Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trade Kessel?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,189 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Heavy winds and sleet blew in off the lake as the Toronto Maple Leafs arrived for practice on an especially grey Monday morning.

Toque pulled down to his brow in typical fashion, Phil Kessel bowed his head and forged on.

The messy weather seemed fitting with the Leafs coming off what coach Randy Carlyle labeled their worst two games of the season. Losses to the Islanders and Rangers seemed to whip up a storm of sorts around the team and Kessel, as usual, found himself smack dab in the middle of it.

http://www.sportsnet...ssel_conundrum/

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,189 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Is the time right? Is the time ever right to trade a player like that?

#3 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

You can't trade him. Not the player he is, but the price you paid for! But then again it's the new Nonis era, so maybe a huge mix up could be nice.

#4 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Sure. Who needs a guaranteed 30 goal scorer? Pfft. Not us.

#5 OFFLINE   Eastcoastcane

Eastcoastcane

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:42
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,085 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

With Perry and Getzlaf up in the air I wouldn't mind. For anything less I would wind considerably.

#7 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Can't trade your top offensive player on a hope that you might be able to acquire a high profile free agent. Especially, if you happen to be the Toronto Maple Leafs, given their track record at attracting star power.

#8 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,189 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Your first post sums it up.

I don't know how you trade a 30 goal player and think you are doing your team a favor.

#9 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:10
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Trade him for Bobby Ryan. :yes:

Let Bobby and Carlyle reunite!

#10 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Kinda like how Lupul and Carlyle reunited?

#11 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:10
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, Bobbys gotten even softer since Carlyle left. I think he needs Carlyles motivation.

#12 Guest_PhilTheThrill81_*

Guest_PhilTheThrill81_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Not the right time imo. Wait the season out, see who the Leafs draft (hopefully a centre). We are looking at potentially the strongest draft since 2003. People seem to think Kessel is thirty or something. He is just entering his prime and has four 30 goal seasons under his belt. Give him a number one centre and see what he does.

Also completely against trading him in hopes to sign Perry or Getzlaf. This is too big of a risk and building through free agency has not exactly worked for the Leafs.

This point has been edited by PhilTheThrill81: 30 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

#13 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,085 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Can't trade your top offensive player on a hope that you might be able to acquire a high profile free agent. Especially, if you happen to be the Toronto Maple Leafs-tickets/?publisherid=51113]Leafs[/url], given their track record at attracting star power.

Who said anything about signing? I meant if they traded him for one of them and then signed them. I'm not saying dump kessel and then sign one of them.

Plus I don't really think Kessel is all that thrilled at staying in Toronto himself seeing as how things have gone so it may end up being a necessity. I cannot believe this guy enjoys playing for Carlyle and having next to no support.

This point has been edited by Potvin29: 31 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

#14 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Kinda like how Lupul and Carlyle reunited?

Lupul got first line minutes in Toronto, that's the difference, not the re-uniting.

#15 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Did you say "guaranteed", hmmm. 30 would be nice, real nice. What a 30 goal scorer will come with is a balanced approach to his game like lot's of assists , at least LEAST 30 , 1st line min,s. A good player when it comes to his checking game . Not stupid. 60-70 point guy's can be real valuable . Team leaders even when there is more than one doing the same. Good teams usually have a couple of guys they can call on for a point. They are called " franchise what ever" . Kessel? Deal him while you can !! If you can.

This point has been edited by gcc: 31 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

#16 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,085 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm telling you, the Leafs will have maybe one more season of Kessel regardless. I don't believe for a second this guy wants to re-sign here.

#17 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm telling you, the Leafs will have maybe one more season of Kessel regardless. I don't believe for a second this guy wants to re-sign here.

I would have given a Kessel resigning much better odds than a Lupul resigning.... so who knows?

#18 OFFLINE   Potvin29

Potvin29

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,085 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I would have given a Kessel resigning much better odds than a Lupul resigning.... so who knows?

A little over a season ago Lupul was a salary dump that cost his club himself, a first rd blue chip prospect in Gardiner and a 4th rd pick. Now he is being offered a multi-year deal worth 5+ mil per year. I don't think he disliked Carlyle enough for that. Kessel on the other hand can get paid wherever he goes. With no primary star here Kessel is exposed. If he goes to a more talent laden team he could get paid a boatload and excel. Until then I am fearful that Carlyle's style will continue to stifle him and he will just want out of here as the losses rack up.

#19 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

A little over a season ago Lupul was a salary dump that cost his club himself, a first rd blue chip prospect in Gardiner and a 4th rd pick. Now he is being offered a multi-year deal worth 5+ mil per year. I don't think he disliked Carlyle enough for that. Kessel on the other hand can get paid wherever he goes. With no primary star here Kessel is exposed. If he goes to a more talent laden team he could get paid a boatload and excel. Until then I am fearful that Carlyle's style will continue to stifle him and he will just want out of here as the losses rack up.

I agree here, Kessel has a lot more value to other teams that Lupul does. Like I've said, the only reason why Lupul was good in Toronto is because he got top line minutes. You give him what he should be on other teams, nobody will even remember him. Kessel has a record that he can score by himself, but put a great passer with him, and it will be better.

#20 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • 33,697 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Having watched Kessel play early into the season, I don't get the impression that he is being stifled whatsoever. He has plenty of ice time and the same golden opportunities we have grown to expect with him. He has still only been a goal post and a magnificent save away from breaking the goose egg.

Kessel is not unaccustomed from being snake bitten in the past. He once went 14 games without a goal under Ron Wilson.

I have no worries about Phil at this time. And as long as the team is winning more often than not during this time, only spells good things for our future.