Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ellis making decisions tough for Muller

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eastcoastcane

Eastcoastcane

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:42
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

It would be foolish to think that there is a goalie controversy in Carolina. Then again, Dan Ellis has been making a case to usurp incumbent Cam Ward altogether as the Hurricanes’ go-to netminder.

Turning away 33 shots in a 1-0 shutout of the Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa Senators Friday night, Ellis instantly forced Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller into a decision. When asked following the game if Ellis would be in line to start Saturday’s game at Philadelphia, Muller responded, “I don’t know. We’ll see how he’s feeling and make a decision on the plane.”

My link

Every time Ward is in net it is claimed that he's the victim of shitty D, and Ellis always seem to be the benefactor of poor shots by the opposing team. I think Ellis needs to get the start against Philly to either prove that he can handle the starting job or has been just plain old lucky so far.

#2 OFFLINE   Caniac59

Caniac59

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:59
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

My link

Every time Ward is in net it is claimed that he's the victim of shitty D, and Ellis always seem to be the benefactor of poor shots by the opposing team. I think Ellis needs to get the start against Philly to either prove that he can handle the starting job or has been just plain old lucky so far.

I say put Ellis in and see if it lights a fire under Ward's ass and gets him playing like he should be.
A little competition between the two couldn't hurt, hell it could end up being more beneficial to the team.

#3 OFFLINE   Eastcoastcane

Eastcoastcane

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I say put Ellis in and see if it lights a fire under Ward's ass and gets him playing like he should be.
A little competition between the two couldn't hurt, hell it could end up being more beneficial to the team.

I agree 100% with you. It's been so long since Ward has had to, not battle per se but work harder, usually because its just been expected he was starting. There is no doubt that Ward performs well under pressure, he's usually lights out near the end of the season when the teams playoff hopes rely on him being sharp, so I see early competition being very beneficial.

#4 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just saying, Ellis looked unreal against the Senators last night. A very confident goaltender, and very calm. I'd say keep him in for a little while.

#5 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Ellis was a great back-up in Anaheim with the emphasis on the word back-up.

#6 OFFLINE   Selly

Selly

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,069 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just saying, Ellis looked unreal against the Senators last night. A very confident goaltender, and very calm. I'd say keep him in for a little while.

He really did. I think he's earned the starting spot for now.

#7 OFFLINE   stlbluesfan4ever

stlbluesfan4ever

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Ward is a face of the canes almost as much as Eric Staal is, no matter what the excuse is, Ward has had his bumps, and fought through it. Looking over ward's career numbers, he is far from the most elite goalies in the NHL, but, anyone who has seen Cam played, knows that he is a top 10 goalie. But, he needs to show that to everyone every time he gets in net, and he needs to act like it might be his last. Ellis is a good goalie but he wouldn't be sitting around for the canes to get if he was a true #1. Even Fleury looks to benefit from a little pressure from a back up to step up his game. The canes has had their issues with offense, but once everyone gels, I think the canes will be a top in the east, and Ward will be goal.

#8 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ward is a face of the canes almost as much as Eric Staal is, no matter what the excuse is, Ward has had his bumps, and fought through it. Looking over ward's career numbers, he is far from the most elite goalies in the NHL, but, anyone who has seen Cam played, knows that he is a top 10 goalie. But, he needs to show that to everyone every time he gets in net, and he needs to act like it might be his last. Ellis is a good goalie but he wouldn't be sitting around for the canes to get if he was a true #1. Even Fleury looks to benefit from a little pressure from a back up to step up his game. The canes has had their issues with offense, but once everyone gels, I think the canes will be a top in the east, and Ward will be goal.

That's a great way to say it. And after seeing Cam Ward in the playoffs, they guy has ice cold blood in the playoffs, and unbelievable goaltender. If he could bring that in every night for the Canes, they would be a top team in this league with the players they have compiled.

#9 OFFLINE   Caniac59

Caniac59

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:59

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Cam will be okay, he just needed some fresh motivation.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is in net Monday against Toronto.

#10 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Cam will be okay, he just needed some fresh motivation.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is in net Monday against Toronto.

Just because they are losing tonight.

#11 OFFLINE   Selly

Selly

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,069 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

He really did. I think he's earned the starting spot for now.

Apparently, I have no idea what I am talking about. After the outing against the Flyers, I think he has unearned it.

#12 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Apparently, I have no idea what I am talking about. After the outing against the Flyers, I think he has unearned it.

Well he did look good, but chicken wing said it right, back-up. That's all the guy will be, but a good game here and there helps Cam Ward's drive when Ellis has a game like in Ottawa.

This point has been edited by DRodger91: 02 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

#13 OFFLINE   Eastcoastcane

Eastcoastcane

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

You and me both.