Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Winnipeg Jets vs. Toronto Maple Leafs, 2.7.13

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

February 7, 2013
MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Manotiba

Television:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Radio:
Posted Image
Posted Image

From NHL.com.

Season series: Opening round of a three-game set, to be followed by a home-and-home in mid-March. Last season the home team won every game, which contrasts the Toronto Maple Leafs' fortunes of late.

Big story: Both teams stopped slides with important wins Tuesday. The Maple Leafs halted a two-game hiccup and started a three-game road trip with a solid 3-2 win at the Washington Capitals; the Winnipeg Jets won by the same score at home against the Florida Panthers in overtime, snapping their three-game losing streak.

The Jets are a good home team with a 3-1-0 record, but the Maple Leafs have proven more effective on the road with a 4-1-0 mark.

Team scope:

Maple Leafs: Washington has a history of being a very unfriendly stopover for the Maple Leafs, who were winless there since Dec. 6, 2010. The Capitals' recent struggles, though, played right into the Maple Leafs' hands as they took advantage of several Washington mistakes in Tuesday's victory. The game-winner off the stick of Korbinian Holzer (his first NHL goal) was a knuckler that threaded through traffic into the net. James van Riemsdyk scored the other two for Toronto.

"The way you dream about it, you go top shelf after dangling three guys," Holzer told the Toronto Star. "I'm very happy to get the goal and help the team win. I just shot it at the net and luckily good things happened."

Van Riemsdyk told the Toronto Sun, "That's a thing all good teams have going for them: They kind of nip (losing streaks) in the bud before it gets too big of a thing. Obviously it's a huge game for us to stay in that range and continue to grow and continue to get better."

Jets: No doubt Bryan Little's overtime winner Tuesday at 4:46 is the Jets' biggest goal of the season so far. It brought them back to .500 and stopped a slide that could have snowballed into a season-breaker. It certainly looked that way when they generated three shots in the first period.

"We were very tentative in the first period," Jets coach Claude Noel said in the Winnipeg Free Press. "It looked like the puck was a grenade. I saw a lot of nervousness, saw a lot of plays that were uncharacteristic. We looked like we'd never been together."

They began to build up confidence after that, keeping themselves in the game, but even the power-play chance late in overtime wasn't much to cheer about. In fact, the Jets' inability to get the puck into the Panthers' zone until the final shot drew boos.

"If I was in the stands, I probably would have been booing too," Little said to the Free Press. "Four-on-three, it should be a little easier to get in the zone, but for some reason we had some trouble with it.

"It doesn't really matter now that we got the two points."

Who's hot: Van Riemsdyk's two goals on Tuesday gave him the team lead with six. Phil Kessel has yet to score a goal, which has drawn a wave of criticism, but he leads the team with six assists. … Blake Wheeler's four goals set the pace for the Jets, but Tobias Enstrom leads the team in points with 12, 10 of those assists.

Injury report: Toronto forward Mike Brown (shoulder) has been cleared to practice. An MRI exam on defenseman Carl Gunnarsson's hip revealed no muscular damage. Both are day-to-day. … For the Jets, the status of defenseman Dustin Byfuglien remains one of the most important questions. Out the past three games with a lower-body injury, he leads the team in minutes per game and is a dominant force on the power play, with all three of his goals coming with the man advantage, all at home.

Expected In Goal:
Posted Image

Posted Image

This point has been edited by Erik C.: 08 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

#2 OFFLINE   HockeyLady82

HockeyLady82

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 287 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I need the LEAFS to win this one... :yes:

#3 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

We be updated.

#4 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

This game is pretty funny. This game is 1-1 at the 2nd intermission and each team's goal has been short-handed. :wacko:

#5 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm so upset. The Jets had a 2-1 lead late in the 3rd period and then in less than a minute at 14:58 and 15:52 the Leafs scored twice to win the game 3-2. I'm extra disappointed because had the Jets won they would have currently taken over the 8th spot in the East. There haven't been too many days in my life where I've gone to bed at night with the Thrashers/Jets holding a playoff spot in the East. :baby:

#6 OFFLINE   datsun260z

datsun260z

Injury Call Up

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 48 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Not at all surprised they lost this game. They came out and played like they can for the first 4 mins of the game and then proceeded to play hit and miss hockey the rest of the way. We can blame a lot of things here but the bottom line is they're simply playing like a team with no identity, no top line and no system; good teams manage to win with dry special teams, or top lines that go quiet or injuries. IT's a fact of hockey life. My fear here is Noel has lost this room already...I mean there is something about the Pearn hiring that doesn't sit well with me and honestly when you look at the body language between he and Noel its pretty cold. Coach Noel doesn't seem to have a handle on this hockey club plain and simple. One moment they're playing one way, the next another. And there is no excuse at all for this considering the talent on this roster.

There are a lot of little things I don't think are good signs for this team; I don't like that the waiver wire has been an active choice of Chevy's when there are people on the rock who've earned that same shot eg. O'Dell, Sawada and Jaffrey. You're not building confidence in your system when you're playing guys off the wire. Surest way to poison your own cultural integrity if you ask me. If I was one of the boys in the A right now, I'd be spitten' nails that my phone hasn't rung.

And the Scheifele debacle...I mean honestly people, how long did that take to figure out??? Good lord I bet we all knew after game 3 he simply wasn't ready. Dragging their feet on that one made everyone involved uncomfortable...IMHO he's average...I'd love to be wrong about that. Reminds me a tad of a young Brendan Morrison. A solid two way center, maybe a 65 point guy??

I also didn't like much seeing Thornburn hit a guy into an open gate last night. That is garbage! He needs to wake up. More than a few time this year he's made choices on the ice that clearly were not thought out; you don't fight after your team takes a 1-0 lead...you just don't. His leash needs tightening.

Last night showed us two "ok" teams and that can be enough for anyone to want Center Ice so they can have a barometer of what good teams look like while they attempt to enjoy their team in it's "building" stage.

The Jets really missed the boat last night. This season is two games from the quarter mark, the time where the men are separated from the boys is still about 15 games away and the Jets are showing us already that they may be ready now for that separation. They missed an opportunity to jump a team they're close with, they showed us they're a group of people with no cohesiveness. They're lost and I put the bulk of that on the coaching staff. Hockey players are simple animals, they need structure, they must have their system and most of all, they must have leadership they believe in. This team has none of that.

This is they part of the game I enjoy. I like the detail, I like the game within the game, I like observing how teams cycle through their issues. This should be fun to see how Chevy handles this because until recently (the Scheifele presser - like really? That needed a press conference?...wow. :teehee: ) he's been awful quiet. My feeling is the clock might be ticking on coach Noel...my fear is Pearn will be named his replacement when all the while Marc Crawford is coaching overseas and would work wonders for the eclectic group.

Until next time
Z

#7 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Not at all surprised they lost this game. They came out and played like they can for the first 4 mins of the game and then proceeded to play hit and miss hockey the rest of the way. We can blame a lot of things here but the bottom line is they're simply playing like a team with no identity, no top line and no system; good teams manage to win with dry special teams, or top lines that go quiet or injuries. IT's a fact of hockey life. My fear here is Noel has lost this room already...I mean there is something about the Pearn hiring that doesn't sit well with me and honestly when you look at the body language between he and Noel its pretty cold. Coach Noel doesn't seem to have a handle on this hockey club plain and simple. One moment they're playing one way, the next another. And there is no excuse at all for this considering the talent on this roster.

There are a lot of little things I don't think are good signs for this team; I don't like that the waiver wire has been an active choice of Chevy's when there are people on the rock who've earned that same shot eg. O'Dell, Sawada and Jaffrey. You're not building confidence in your system when you're playing guys off the wire. Surest way to poison your own cultural integrity if you ask me. If I was one of the boys in the A right now, I'd be spitten' nails that my phone hasn't rung.

And the Scheifele debacle...I mean honestly people, how long did that take to figure out??? Good lord I bet we all knew after game 3 he simply wasn't ready. Dragging their feet on that one made everyone involved uncomfortable...IMHO he's average...I'd love to be wrong about that. Reminds me a tad of a young Brendan Morrison. A solid two way center, maybe a 65 point guy??

I also didn't like much seeing Thornburn hit a guy into an open gate last night. That is garbage! He needs to wake up. More than a few time this year he's made choices on the ice that clearly were not thought out; you don't fight after your team takes a 1-0 lead...you just don't. His leash needs tightening.

Last night showed us two "ok" teams and that can be enough for anyone to want Center Ice so they can have a barometer of what good teams look like while they attempt to enjoy their team in it's "building" stage.

The Jets really missed the boat last night. This season is two games from the quarter mark, the time where the men are separated from the boys is still about 15 games away and the Jets are showing us already that they may be ready now for that separation. They missed an opportunity to jump a team they're close with, they showed us they're a group of people with no cohesiveness. They're lost and I put the bulk of that on the coaching staff. Hockey players are simple animals, they need structure, they must have their system and most of all, they must have leadership they believe in. This team has none of that.

This is they part of the game I enjoy. I like the detail, I like the game within the game, I like observing how teams cycle through their issues. This should be fun to see how Chevy handles this because until recently (the Scheifele presser - like really? That needed a press conference?...wow. :teehee: ) he's been awful quiet. My feeling is the clock might be ticking on coach Noel...my fear is Pearn will be named his replacement when all the while Marc Crawford is coaching overseas and would work wonders for the eclectic group.

Until next time
Z

Very good post. Basically this team has the same issues it has had for as long as the franchise has been in existance. No true identity. The Thrashers/Jets have wasted a lot of talent throughout the years because of that. What upsets me the most is the last year they were in Atlanta under Rick Dudley and Craig Ramsey (who were still in the building stages and getting the players they wanted) they had made huge strides to becoming a very physical team that won games in a scrappy fashion. It didn't always show up in the W/L record but it showed up on the ice. But then we know what happened after that. They move to Winnipeg under new ownership who fires Dudley and Ramsey and then they're back a square one. It just saddens me all the talented players that we've had and we've only had 1 great year (2006-07) with 97 points and winning the SE division only to get swept by the Rangers in the playoffs.