Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Edmonton Oilers, 2.9.13

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

February 9, 2013
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan

Television:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Radio:
Posted Image
Posted Image

From NHL.com.

Season series: It's the first of three meetings between the teams this season. Detroit prevailed in three of their four meetings last season, with Drew Miller scoring four of his 14 goals against Edmonton. Sam Gagner had four goals to pace the Oilers in the series.

Big story: With an odd number of Canadian teams after Winnipeg's return to the NHL a season ago, Edmonton is the one out of seven that ends up facing a U.S.-based opponent on Hockey Day In Canada. The Oilers and Red Wings have developed a decent rivalry over the years, though -- it's hard to forget the upset eighth-seeded Edmonton pulled on Detroit in 2006 en route to the franchise's most recent trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

Team Scope:

Oilers: In his first season behind the Edmonton bench, coach Ralph Krueger has seen his young group battle hard in almost every game. Although they enter Saturday on a four-game winless streak, the points earned from the overtime/shootout losses kept them in the playoff race. Hosting the Stars on Wednesday, they got a goal and an assist from Ales Hemsky and took the game into overtime before yielding the record 17th career overtime goal by Jaromir Jagr in a tough 3-2 setback.

"It wasn't the greatest effort from us," defenseman Justin Schultz, whose power-play goal in the third period helped earn the Oilers a point, said. "We found a way to come back in the third period, but we needed to find a way to win it."

Red Wings: The expectation is workhorse Jimmy Howard will be back in net for Detroit, but coach Mike Babcock finally was able to get him a night off Thursday in St. Louis, and he had to be heartened by the response he got from rookie Petr Mrazek. In his NHL debut, the 20-year-old stopped 26 shots and led the Red Wings to a relatively easy 5-1 win against the St. Louis Blues. Five different Wings scored goals and 11 had at least one point. Cory Emmerton finished with a goal and an assist.

"The thing I liked about the kid was that he didn't generate second chances for them," Babcock said of Mrazek. "The puck wasn't coming off. He was soft and under control. Good for the kid. It's not an easy League to play in and St. Louis is a real good team. I thought our guys played hard and battled hard and in the end got a real big win."

Who's hot: Gagner had an assist Tuesday to extend his points streak to start the season to 10 games (3-8-11). Hemsky has two goals and two assists during a three-game points streak. … Red Wings rookie Damien Brunner scored his fifth goal in 10 games Thursday.

Injury report: Edmonton forwards Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder), Darcy Hordichuk (facial laceration) and Anton Lander (foot), as well as defenseman Mark Fistric (back) all are day-to-day. Forwards Ryan Jones (eye), Ben Eager (concussion), Eric Belanger (foot) and Shawn Horcoff (hand), as well as defensemen Andy Sutton (knee) and Theo Peckham (hip) are on injured reserve. … Detroit goalies Joey MacDonald (back) and Jonas Gustavsson (groin) remain out, along with defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Brendan Smith (shoulder) and forwards Jan Mursak (collarbone), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) and Darren Helm (back).

Expected In Goal:
Posted Image
(Not yet confirmed as of post time.)

Posted Image

This point has been edited by Erik C.: 09 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,047 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Come on boys, kick them while they are down!!

:shiny:

#3 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

We be updated.

#4 OFFLINE   HockeyLady82

HockeyLady82

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 287 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

GO WINGS!

#5 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Plus
-Nik Khabibulin played a strong game, which is much needed for a team that hasn't been scoring.
-Justin Schultz continues to look great out there.
-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' positioning and play away from the puck has developed tremendously.

Minus
-The PP was a sink hole.
-The Oilers continue to be out-shot way too much.
-Anybody who's read enough of my stuff around here should have an idea about my thought son Taylor Hall, but I think he played a brain-dead game yesterday.

Ralph Krueger
-Gambled with starting Bulin, and it played well on the front.
-I don't like Hall and Hemsky playing on the same line together, as I think they are about as uncomplimentary in style as any two players can be; they both control play by rushing the puck up ice, and there's one puck out there for the two of them at any one time.

Best F - 93 didn't really play a masterly offensive game, though he created his chances. I was impressed more by his two-way play yesterday.
Best D - Justin Schultz. Still. Again.

JR

#6 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Back in the Division Title race ? i think so!