Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

I Must Choose Wisely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tangled_*

Guest_Tangled_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I am having quite a bit of a hockey dilemma and I am searching for some constructive input. I'm not sure if the venue I've chosen is the best place to receive said constructive input, but for the sake of argument lets pretend that it is.

The Facts:
1) I'm not (yet) a hockey fanatic.
2) My wife is a hockey fanatic.
3) My wife loves the Red Wings and her Red Wing fanaticism fits well within my self-prescribed rules of what teams one is allowed to like (explained below).
4) I have lived in Chicago for 20 years and I like the Blackhawks.
5) We have been dating for 3 years and are coming up on our 1 year anniversary on March 3rd.
5) I am watching more hockey and getting into it. The impetus is that my wife loves it. I am by no means torchering myself though - Hockey is kind of awesome to watch.

The Dilemma:
My wife demands that the Red Wings become the family team and that I throw the Blackhawks to the curb. In addition to throwing the Blackhawks to the curb I am also to show enthusiatic disdain for them in all matches unless they are playing the Avalanche. When they play the Avalanche the Blackhawks are allowed to win.

Consequences for Non-Compliance:
1) My respect for sports will be called into question. This is meaningful because I am pretty big on football.
2) I will lose proper rank as "Doting Husband" and be demoted to "Common Jackass". This is meaningful because I imagine I lose privilege and entitlement to disgraceful levels.

My Personal Rules on Liking Teams:
1) You are always permitted to like the team of the city of which you live within 100 miles of.
2) You are permitted to like the team of previous cities you have lived in that meet condition #1.
3) If you move to a city with a primary reason of wiching to like their teams, that is crap and unacceptable.
4) If you marry someone, their teams that meet the above conditions may be grandfathered in.

What I have agreed to so far:
1) The Red Wings are the Family Team. I shall choose them over the Blackhawks in any head to head competition.

I think that if all of the sudden I say that I hate the Blackhawks I'll be in conflict with being a sports fan. I really wish that there was a happy medium where I could appreciate both teams whilst favoring the Red Wings. There is not a happy medium at my household though, apparently if you are a Red Wings fan you inherently hate the Blackhawks.

Input appreciated!

#2 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,558 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Well excluding that im quite sure your wife is evil (whole Red Wing thing)....

she should just be glad she has someone who likes hockey... if your choice of team is going to cause a rift in the family, Id argue that you have some larger issues laying dormant... As awesome as hockey is, it shouldn't come between two people in a marriage

so whether its both of you accepting the fan-ship of other teams or one of you just accepting the others team, you gotta pick your priorities...

just my 2 cents

And welcome to the Arena!!!!!

This point has been edited by Avsfreak18: 08 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

#3 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,303 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Dab a little blue and white behind the ears and the wife will let you wear the pants once again.

#4 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

:rolleyes:

#5 OFFLINE   pucked

pucked

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Center

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Do like some men do. Agree to be a Redwings fan and cheer the Blackhawks when you are out with the boys. Sounds like you already made your choice, but will it feel like cheating when you root for the hawks? Report back... not that I have a sick perversion of this sort.. Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   chicken wing

chicken wing

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,924 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:8

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Dab a little blue and white behind the ears and the wife will let you wear the pants once again.

Good choice. Tampa Bay is doing quite well this year. :shifty:

#7 OFFLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

My wife is a Canucks fan, and I am a Stars fan.

We were married at a Canucks @ Stars game. The Stars won and she's still rather upset about that and refers to Jason LaBarbera (who was in net for Vancouver that game) as "Wedding Ruiner".

While I never hated the Canucks, I have definitely grown to like them through her, and they are now my 1b team instead of #2 or lower.

If the Stars and Canucks are playing different games at the same time, our viewing is automatically the Canucks, which I'm fine with.

When we go to games, she understands why I wear my Stars jersey instead of a Canucks jersey, though she was quite pleased when I wore a Canucks t-shirt under my Stars jersey the last time we were at a game between the two.

My point in this is that compromise is important in all respects of a marriage, and it's okay to concede certain aspects of fandom when love for another person is in the equation.

That said, the traditional rivalry between the Wings and Hawks is exponentially greater than any rivalry the Stars and Canucks have ever had, and as your wife is (by your admission) the more passionate hockey fan in the family, you may just be screwed on this one. However, she should be entirely open to tolerating any trash talk you may come up with involving Chris Osgood. Never give up that particular right.

#8 ONLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:11

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am having quite a bit of a hockey dilemma and I am searching for some constructive input. I'm not sure if the venue I've chosen is the best place to receive said constructive input, but for the sake of argument lets pretend that it is.

The Facts:
3) My wife loves the Red Wings and her Red Wing fanaticism fits well within my self-prescribed rules of what teams one is allowed to like (explained below).
4) I have lived in Chicago for 20 years and I like the Blackhawks.
5) We have been dating for 3 years and are coming up on our 1 year anniversary on March 3rd.

You've been with her for 3 years. You should've known this before saying "I do." Given that the marriage is less than 1 year old, it's not too late for an annulment.

The Dilemma:
My wife demands that the Red Wings become the family team and that I throw the Blackhawks to the curb. In addition to throwing the Blackhawks to the curb I am also to show enthusiatic disdain for them in all matches unless they are playing the Avalanche. When they play the Avalanche the Blackhawks are allowed to win.

Avsfreak is right. She is obviously evil and must be stopped. Fight the power, brother!

Consequences for Non-Compliance:
1) My respect for sports will be called into question. This is meaningful because I am pretty big on football.
2) I will lose proper rank as "Doting Husband" and be demoted to "Common Jackass". This is meaningful because I imagine I lose privilege and entitlement to disgraceful levels.

Under 1 year, you are still in the honeymoon phase. Like the rest of us, you will definitely become the "common jackass" over time despite any good qualities you possess. It's inevitable -- like death & taxes. Don't take it personally (especially if she's a good cook).

What I have agreed to so far:
1) The Red Wings are the Family Team. I shall choose them over the Blackhawks in any head to head competition.

I think that if all of the sudden I say that I hate the Blackhawks I'll be in conflict with being a sports fan. I really wish that there was a happy medium where I could appreciate both teams whilst favoring the Red Wings. There is not a happy medium at my household though, apparently if you are a Red Wings fan you inherently hate the Blackhawks.

Input appreciated!

You obviously have conceded enough already. If you give in on the remaining demands, you will forever be a milquetoast with no chance of ever getting your way in the future. Stand tall now and stick to your principles. If she doesn't respect you for that, I'm afraid divorce may be the only option. :shocking:

#9 Guest_Tangled_*

Guest_Tangled_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

So I did my research on rivalries and yep - the Blackhawks and the Red Wings have one of the fiercest rivalries in all of hockey. When 2 teams are in such relentless competition with one another I think its bad form to have an affinity for both teams. So... I'ma let my wife win this one and get all in behind the Red Wings... lest she become a Packers fan. Decision made!

I salute you all for your input!

Tangled

#10 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Congratulations, excellent choice. Heh he heh heeeeeeeh.

#11 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Stay with the Hawks! That will be quite the household during playoffs and such, both original six teams with storied pasts, stay with the Hawks!