Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Code debate about fighting in NHL rages on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GWTLAH

GWTLAH

The NHL Arena

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

It didn't take long. Thirty seconds into his first shift against the Blackhawks on Thursday night, Raffi Torres of the Coyotes was challenged to a fight by Jamal Mayers, who came right off the bench to start throwing punches.

Torres, of course, had concussed Chicago's Marian Hossa during the teams' first-round playoff series last spring with a blatantly illegal hit to the head that put the high-scoring winger out for the rest of the postseason. Torres was handed a 25-game suspension, among the longest in league history. (It was later reduced to 21 after an appeal.)

"I think it was pretty much known it was coming," Mayers told reporters after the game. "Obviously, we have a pretty good memory of what happened ... It still doesn't excuse what happened, but give him credit — he was willing to go."

As fights go, this one wasn't much, but it was clearly retribution, one of those episodes that are unique to hockey, and that those who don't follow or like the NHL can't understand. But for a large segment of the league's fans -- and also for the players and those who administer the league -- hockey's self-policing mechanism is as essential to the professional game as a beautifully executed two-on-one break that ends with a goal.

For critics, the answer is easy: Just ban fighting.

In reality, it's not that easy.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2KaPUkmFs

#2 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,573 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I thought Chicago would have had someone tougher than Jamal taking care of business on this night.

#3 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,654 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

He fought... now its over... simple as that

There wasnt a second cheapshot, so as far as im concerned the fight served its purpose.

#4 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Center

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Ahhhh yeah, there it is again... "The Code", where the players police themselves even though they've been shown over and over again to do a terrible job of doing it. "The Code" is just a self-serving set of rules which shift from situation to situation, based on whichever justification the participants feel like citing at the time. It can't be taken seriously.

I don't mind a good fight, but talking about some Code like it brings honour and enforcement is silly, imo.

JR

#5 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:11

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I thought Chicago would have had someone tougher than Jamal taking care of business on this night.

Like who? There is no "real" enforcer on our roster. Bollig ends up fighting a lot, but I don't consider him an enforcer. Wondering who you had in mind....

#6 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Like who? There is no "real" enforcer on our roster. Bollig ends up fighting a lot, but I don't consider him an enforcer. Wondering who you had in mind....

Posted Image

I think the answer is obvious.

JR

#7 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image

JR

Touche! :hysterical:

#8 OFFLINE   Shakes

Shakes

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:20

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ahhhh yeah, there it is again... "The Code", where the players police themselves even though they've been shown over and over again to do a terrible job of doing it. "The Code" is just a self-serving set of rules which shift from situation to situation, based on whichever justification the participants feel like citing at the time. It can't be taken seriously.

I don't mind a good fight, but talking about some Code like it brings honour and enforcement is silly, imo.

JR

That's in large part because of the instigator penalty....Also, I think the outside world has overblown the "code"- When players and former players mention it, the press starts to salivate at this covert secret thing that they've been given a glimpse to. It's essentially just "an eye for an eye" mentality that pervades the sport. It's just part of the ingrained culture. There isn't some rally cry in the dressing room - "live up to the code!" type of thing, it's just the way it is.

I really think too much is made of it in the press.

#9 OFFLINE   Shakes

Shakes

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:20

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

JR

He's a lover, not a fighter.

I wonder if he dashed on the limo driver?

#10 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,573 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

That's just it. If I'm Torres and I know Mayers is the toughest guy you got, I'm giving Hossa purple nurples in front of the bench all night long.

#11 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

That's in large part because of the instigator penalty....Also, I think the outside world has overblown the "code"- When players and former players mention it, the press starts to salivate at this covert secret thing that they've been given a glimpse to. It's essentially just "an eye for an eye" mentality that pervades the sport. It's just part of the ingrained culture. There isn't some rally cry in the dressing room - "live up to the code!" type of thing, it's just the way it is.

I really think too much is made of it in the press.

Yeah, I think the concept of it is probably has as much to do with the media as anybody else as well, and it gets the secret society treatment. However, I still think the players have a nice 100 year record of not stopping dirty shit from happening with a fight hanging over your head. Like fighting, it's also part of the game.

JR

#12 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

That's just it. If I'm Torres and I know Mayers is the toughest guy you got, I'm giving Hossa purple nurples in front of the bench all night long.

Valid point. However, I think with the condensed season, teams will be less willing to run guys. Losing a player to suspension could be especially hurtful to a team's chances since the wins/losses are magnified this year.

#13 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Valid point. However, I think with the condensed season, teams will be less willing to run guys. Losing a player to suspension could be especially hurtful to a team's chances since the wins/losses are magnified this year.

If loosing a guy like Torres is something that hurts your team significantly, you've got problems.

Of course the Yoties aren't exactly burning the rest of the league up right now, but still.