Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Do you got a local team in a smaller league that you support?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wingsallday_*

Guest_Wingsallday_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I live in Detroit so obviously i support the red wings, but i was born in Louisiana so i cheer the Louisana Icegators from the SPHL! (Southern Proffesional Hockey league) every other Louisana based team went bust and these boys from Lafayette are the only survivors!

do you guys have minor teams that you cheer alongside your NHL team for whatever reason?

#2 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I live in Detroit so obviously i support the red wings, but i was born in Louisiana so i cheer the Louisana Icegators from the SPHL! (Southern Proffesional Hockey league) every other Louisana based team went bust and these boys from Lafayette are the only survivors!

do you guys have minor teams that you cheer alongside your NHL team for whatever reason?

I think it's great that you (still) stand behind your home town team. Minor hockey really needs "help" especially fan support. I realize that you have moved to a "top 6 town" but if your interested there are a lot of jr. (league") teams close to you. Enjoy!!

#3 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I have two close...ish (Orlando and... let's say Naples) ECHL teams. I actively cheer for the one that's farther away, because it was there first. And it's our affiliate now too.

I went to games at both teams' arenas during the lockout.

#4 OFFLINE   Tamby

Tamby

Central Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:14
  • Position:Right Wing

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

We have the Tulsa Oilers (Central Hockey League) here, but aside from wishing them well, wearing their team hoodie and possibly taking advantage of free suite seats for tonight's game, we don't really support them too terribly much.

#5 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I watch the Frontenac's(OHL), and I've also had some good buddies of mine play for the Voyeurs(OPJHL).

Fronts usually suck, but they are looking better this year, not right now though, haha. The V's had a huge run a few years back and lost in the Canadian finals to Vernon I believe, they always have a great team on the ice.

#6 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Most major hockey I'm about 2 hours away from. 2 hours north of NYC & Newark for the NHL option, 2 hours south of Albany for the A-Devs, and 2 hours west of Hartford for the Connecticut Whale. If you wanna include Binghamton, as I can access route 17/86 from Middletown, I can get there in 3 hours for a B-Sens game if I wanted to.

But I do have closer options with Army (West Point is about an hour from me) and the Danbury Whalers of the Federal Hockey League. (Class A-equivalent hockey about 45 min. away)

I have yet to go to a non-NHL game, but believe me, temptation was high during the lockout. I'd still go. I just like to pick my spots.

This point has been edited by Erik C.: 14 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

#7 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:7

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

There used to be a Birmingham Bulls hockey team here. I don't know what league they played it. But I got to see them play once when I was a kid and then got to go into the locker room after the game and get a signed puck by some of the players. It was pretty cool. But that team hasn't existed in years.

http://en.wikipedia....ham_Bulls_(ECHL)

This point has been edited by AUTiger7222: 14 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

#8 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

There used to be a Birmingham Bulls hockey team here. I don't know what league they played it. But I got to see them play once when I was a kid and then got to go into the locker room after the game and get a signed puck by some of the players. It was pretty cool. But that team hasn't existed in years.

http://en.wikipedia....ham_Bulls_(ECHL)

ECHL. (Even says it in the title of the page.)

#9 OFFLINE   AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222

Healthy Scratch

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 146 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:7

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

ECHL. (Even says it in the title of the page.)

I made the post and then edited it and went back and put the link in.