Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coyotes take down the Avalanche in overtime

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HockeyKate30

HockeyKate30

Injured Reserve

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:30
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

So what if it was a fortuitous bounce that set up the winning goal for the Phoenix Coyotes — a simple clear by an Avalanche defenseman caroming off a referee’s skate to set up Shane Doan’s overtime theatrics.

Mike Smith still had to stop 41 shots and the Coyotes withstood two late penalties. As the Coyotes see it, they earned a little bit of luck.

Doan certainly wasn’t about to apologize after scoring his second goal of the game at 4:01 of overtime to help the Coyotes rally for a 3-2 win over the slumping Colorado Avalanche on Monday night.

Hey, breaks tend to even out over a long season — even an abbreviated one.

“We’ve had a couple of bounces go against us this year,” said Doan, who scored his 11th career overtime goal. “You try to make as much as you can out of them when you get them.”

The Coyotes certainly did at that.

With time winding down in the extra period, Greg Zanon tried to flip the puck out of the zone from behind his net. Only, it smacked off a referee’s skate as he stood in the corner and bounced to Kyle Chipchura. He quickly passed it over to a wide-open Doan, who shot it over the shoulder of Semyon Varlamov.

The Coyotes quickly rushed the ice to congratulate Doan.

The Rest

#2 OFFLINE   HockeyKate30

HockeyKate30

Injured Reserve

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Never say die is right! Me and Q were going back and forth in disgust with the Coyotes PP and play last night. Then in the 3rd period and OT they just woke the F up. haha better late than never I guess! Thanks Doaner ^_^

#3 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,384 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Never say die is right! Me and Q were going back and forth in disgust with the Coyotes PP and play last night. Then in the 3rd period and OT they just woke the F up. haha better late than never I guess! Thanks Doaner ^_^

It was going to go to the shootout if it wasn't for that gift that landed in Doan's lap. When I saw he was taking a second before he shot I knew it was going to be dead on. All in all it seemed like an evenly matched game...both teams are playing at the same level of suck half the time. :lol2:

#4 OFFLINE   HockeyKate30

HockeyKate30

Injured Reserve

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

It was going to go to the shootout if it wasn't for that gift that landed in Doan's lap. When I saw he was taking a second before he shot I knew it was going to be dead on. All in all it seemed like an evenly matched game...both teams are playing at the same level of suck half the time. :lol2:

Thats for sure! So frustrating lol Yeah thank god it didnt go to a SO. I just didnt want to risk it. I didnt feel good about a SO. Thank you hockey gods!

#5 OFFLINE   dadevilscoyotes22

dadevilscoyotes22

Coach's Doghouse

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Of all the years the Yotes have been plagued by the "lucky" bounce they finally got one going their way... Hopefully the hockey gods keep smiling on them and don't decide to give then smite.

#6 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,384 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Of all the years the Yotes have been plagued by the "lucky" bounce they finally got one going their way... Hopefully the hockey gods keep smiling on them and don't decide to give then smite.

Yep...that's the kind of stuff that usually happens to us...especially in OT.

#7 OFFLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,707 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Lucky Bounce... Lazy Ref.... Meh...

Either way, it hurt not walking away with 2 points in this one... If only the Avalanche had a strategy and group of guys who could go out and work in special situations, where the other team took a penalty, and was a man down. This team would score goals about 1 in every 5 opportunities. And when the other team was two men down, oh golly, would we hurt them, using sharp passing and sniping goals, they wouldnt have to keep playing dump and chase, and shoot the puck around the boards on the offensive zone... Oh all the games they could win or at least be competitive in....

#8 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,384 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lucky Bounce... Lazy Ref.... Meh...

Either way, it hurt not walking away with 2 points in this one... If only the Avalanche had a strategy and group of guys who could go out and work in special situations, where the other team took a penalty, and was a man down. This team would score goals about 1 in every 5 opportunities. And when the other team was two men down, oh golly, would we hurt them, using sharp passing and sniping goals, they wouldnt have to keep playing dump and chase, and shoot the puck around the boards on the offensive zone... Oh all the games they could win or at least be competitive in....

Sad but true. I miss that team. :hmmm: