Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ban Fighting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,695 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Despite his tough-guy image, crusty exterior, and wit sharper than a skate blade, Bruins forward/enforcer Shawn Thornton is one of the genuine nice-guy athletes in this town.

The Black-and-Gold’s resident ruffian, Thornton got his bell rung in his last fight, a slugfest with Buffalo Sabres heavyweight John Scott during a 7-4 Boston loss Jan. 31. Thornton suffered a concussion facing the 6-foot-8-inch, 270-pound brawler who lands far more blows than shots on goal.

The Bruins are scheduled to face the Sabres Sunday night in Buffalo, and Bruins fans will want retribution, blood, and maybe a pound of Scott’s flesh. If Thornton is cleared to play, justice will likely ride on his knuckles. He wouldn’t have it any other way.

The NHL should.

Read more from Christopher L. Gasper

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,189 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Nope, still think fighting has it's place in hockey.

#3 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Boy, this for me , well,I don't know what to say especially as I get older. I've been in rinks where they had to turn the lights off, ones where the police where called (under the direction of the ref. who is in charge} but I still like an enforcer on the bench to keep the other team on their toes.One night the ref. , when he saw our enforcer skate out (faceoff in the opposition end} let him get to the blue line and whistled it down , gave him an obstruction penalty , and forced us to kill a penalty. Totally legal. As far as I'm concerned it was "bush" even if every one in the rink knew what was going to happen but by doing it he saved a brawl. So, when the safety of a player is of concern, what else is left now that players can receive big pen.s for dirty hits and boarding, all that's left really is to stop fighting. Body checks would increase, I think, as the game gets faster but might be more enjoyable, talk about it, there has to be a way.

#4 OFFLINE   Eastcoastcane

Eastcoastcane

Trade Bait

• Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:42
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if someday down the road we saw fighting heavily penalized (fines & suspensions), but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd316sdmf

tonyd316sdmf

Playmaker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:16
  • Position:Center

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

This

#6 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

More stupid people talking. These are all people linked to medicine and such, I'd say more than half the people that say fighting needs out of hockey, aren't hockey fans, they just see it a terrible violence.

And honestly I'm with Thornton, even though I never got close to the NHL level, I still played a few years in junior, and wouldn't have if I couldn't fight, because I was as big as 21 year old overages at 16.

It belongs in this game!

#7 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,805 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Boy, this for me , well,I don't know what to say especially as I get older. I've been in rinks where they had to turn the lights off, ones where the police where called (under the direction of the ref. who is in charge} but I still like an enforcer on the bench to keep the other team on their toes.One night the ref. , when he saw our enforcer skate out (faceoff in the opposition end} let him get to the blue line and whistled it down , gave him an obstruction penalty , and forced us to kill a penalty. Totally legal. As far as I'm concerned it was "bush" even if every one in the rink knew what was going to happen but by doing it he saved a brawl. So, when the safety of a player is of concern, what else is left now that players can receive big pen.s for dirty hits and boarding, all that's left really is to stop fighting. Body checks would increase, I think, as the game gets faster but might be more enjoyable, talk about it, there has to be a way.

Wait, did he whistle for the penalty when the enforcer was going out just to line up for the draw, or when he was going to actually fight? Cause if it was a penalty just for the guy being on the ice, that's total crap.

#8 Guest_gcc_*

Guest_gcc_*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Wait, did he whistle for the penalty when the enforcer was going out just to line up for the draw, or when he was going to actually fight? Cause if it was a penalty just for the guy being on the ice, that's total crap.

Your right , how do you think our bench felt, I'll clear it up. he said the player refused to line up.