Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should NHL Have Punished Cooke?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,695 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Pittsburgh Penguin forward Matt Cooke has a long history of dirty plays in the NHL. Whether it’s the hits that have seemingly ended the career of Marc Savard or the “simple” elbow to the head of an opponent along the boards, Cooke has been viewed as one of, in not, the dirtiest players in the NHL.

He’s been hit with suspension after suspension by the league with countless warnings to change his ways. And after making people believe he cleaned up his act, Cooke did something on Wednesday night during his team’s game against the Ottawa Senators that proves that he is still the same dirty player he always was.

With 18 seconds left in the second period, Karlsson and Cooke went into the boards to play the puck. As he went to pin Karlsson against the boards, Cooke, unnecessarily, lifted his left leg and came down on the leg of Karlsson. The act ended up cutting the 2012 Norris Trophy winner’s Achilles Tendon, costing him the rest of the 2013 season. While some people will say that it was just a hockey play that the injury occurred on, and it wasn’t Cooke’s fault, I’m going to go to the far opposite end of the spectrum on that.

Read more from Michael Straw

#2 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73
  • Position:Center

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

No. The NHL was right not to punish Cooke.

JR

#3 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

While some people will say that it was just a hockey play that the injury occurred on, and it wasn’t Cooke’s fault, I’m going to go to the far opposite end of the spectrum on that.

Oh really, is that where you're going with this? Couldn't tell after you wrote this just 3 sentences earlier:

after making people believe he cleaned up his act, Cooke did something on Wednesday night during his team’s game against the Ottawa Senators that proves that he is still the same dirty player he always was.

#4 ONLINE   Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,728 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:81
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I can see the memo to teams now

"Anything you do or not do, accidential or not, on ice or off ice, is subject to suspension. Beware, we are watching."

#5 OFFLINE   Bubba83

Bubba83

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 386 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:12

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

If it was intentional, then Cooke deserves an Oscar for how he went about doing it, perfect execution for making it look as accidental as possible.

#6 OFFLINE   datsun260z

datsun260z

Injury Call Up

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 48 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:13

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Cooke, not at all. Mr. Melnyk on the other hand.... :ermm: I am a tad surprised he hasn't been hit with something after his huge, unprofessional outburst. Twice I believe? Wow...

#7 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm a Sens fan, and this is getting out of hand. As much as I don't like Cooke as a player, this was pure accident.

And yes I do agree datsun, Melnyk should know better, makes the whole team look bad.