Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

UK NHL Fans?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ChrisR_*

Guest_ChrisR_*

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hey,

Just wondering if there's any other NHL fans on here? Be nice to know I'm not the only one haha!

I'm a rangers fan. Supported Newcastle Vipers until they went into admin (or whatever) a few years back in the english league. Tried to play a few times but rink got shut down near me the first time, and the second time I tried to join a team, it was too far to travel every week and my parents couldn't afford it.

I got into hockey by watching the Mighty Ducks films as a kid, and then getting my dad to record games. I followed the Anaheim Mighty Ducks until I was about 18, then started gaining an interest in the Rangers, and my decision was sealed when I went to seem them play at MSG's in 2008/09. I still follow the Ducks, especially with Selanne back (favourite player) but there's something about the Rangers that just grips me, win, lose or draw. Might have something to do with Lundqvist too.

I'd love to go back to watch more games, but airfares are far too expensive ha

Ice Hockey should be so much bigger over here, I don't understand why it isn't. There are barely any teams... and Ice rinks are miles are apart. If I had it my way I'd move to the states, I'd love to play.

It definitely beats football (soccer ;)) anyway!

Cheers
Chris

#2 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:15
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Did you ever go to the games when they were played in Europe?

#3 Guest_ChrisR_*

Guest_ChrisR_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

What what what!?

#4 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

What what what!?

Yeah the NHL has opened in Europe for a few years now, this season they didn't obviously because of the lockout. But both the Rangers and Ducks have played there I believe.

#5 Guest_ChrisR_*

Guest_ChrisR_*

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've actually never heard anything about that! I mainly just watch highlights on gamecentre. Think I'm going to have to visit the news sites more often!

Thanks for letting me know though, ill be on the lookout!

#6 OFFLINE   MightyPanthers

MightyPanthers

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:87
  • Position:Center

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I was last year when Ducks opened their season against Sabres at Helsinki

#7 OFFLINE   RussJericho23

RussJericho23

Goon

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 317 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:23
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hey,

Just wondering if there's any other NHL fans on here? Be nice to know I'm not the only one haha!

I'm a rangers fan. Supported Newcastle Vipers until they went into admin (or whatever) a few years back in the english league. Tried to play a few times but rink got shut down near me the first time, and the second time I tried to join a team, it was too far to travel every week and my parents couldn't afford it.

I got into hockey by watching the Mighty Ducks films as a kid, and then getting my dad to record games. I followed the Anaheim Mighty Ducks until I was about 18, then started gaining an interest in the Rangers, and my decision was sealed when I went to seem them play at MSG's in 2008/09. I still follow the Ducks, especially with Selanne back (favourite player) but there's something about the Rangers that just grips me, win, lose or draw. Might have something to do with Lundqvist too.

I'd love to go back to watch more games, but airfares are far too expensive ha

Ice Hockey should be so much bigger over here, I don't understand why it isn't. There are barely any teams... and Ice rinks are miles are apart. If I had it my way I'd move to the states, I'd love to play.

It definitely beats football (soccer ;)) anyway!

Cheers
Chris

UK NHL fan also, Chris.

I bleed the Edmonton Oilers' Blue & Orange.

#8 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've actually never heard anything about that! I mainly just watch highlights on gamecentre. Think I'm going to have to visit the news sites more often!

Thanks for letting me know though, ill be on the lookout!

Yeah it would be pretty cool, when thy first went over I remember they had like tailgate parties and none of the NHL players had ever seen that, haha.

#9 OFFLINE   CoyoteQ

CoyoteQ

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,379 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yeah it would be pretty cool, when thy first went over I remember they had like tailgate parties and none of the NHL players had ever seen that, haha.

I've been tailgating at the Coyotes games since '06. :drinks: It started with me and one other guy and then it grew from there. Now it's commonplace for the weekend games to see a number of different groups doing it here.

#10 OFFLINE   DRodger91

DRodger91

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I've been tailgating at the Coyotes games since '06. :drinks: It started with me and one other guy and then it grew from there. Now it's commonplace for the weekend games to see a number of different groups doing it here.

Oh nice, it is just so different, I've been to a few Sens games over the years, they had like little stands for companies out front, but this is Canada, it sucks to tailgate so it was funny seeing it!

#11 Guest_ChrisR_*

Guest_ChrisR_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

So I guess they're played in countries where hockey is still quite a big sport like Finland, Russia, etc? Can't afford to travel to these places so I can only hope they bring a game to the UK!

Nice to meet you russjericho23! Glad there are others on here from the uk! :)